Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Michmeister « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nitz
Username: Nitz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just came across an earlier thread where you mention attending Holy Cross Lutheran elementary school and playing floor hockey "all winter long" in the Victory Lutheran Church basement, where your "buddy's dad was pastor." That would have been my brother Mark's doing, who had a game going in different parts of the neighborhood every day. (The same day our crumbling side street, Grove, was finally repaved in 1967, before the brand new tar was even dry my brother went out and painted regulation rink lines on it in bright yellow paint. We were lucky we didn't get fined; our street hockey "rink" was visible from airplanes.) And if you were born in 1962, you would have gone to Holy Cross with my other brother, Tim.

For various reasons, white flight being not the least of them, Victory went under years ago, at least as a Lutheran church. For a while the building was being shared with a Baptist congregation, but when the population dropped below 50, the building was sold and the parish dissolved. I believe, but am not certain, that it's still a Baptist church today. And if you remember our dad, Pastor Billnitzer, you might recall that he walked with difficulty due to multiple sclerosis, which forced him to retire from the active ministry in 1971, but he had such a strong will to live that he died only last year.

Did you go to Holy Cross all eight years? Who were your teachers? Mrs. Slimmen, Mr. Brunger, Miss Kionka, Miss Bicking, Mr. Wingfield or Mr. Matthies were some of mine, with Pastor Born of course in the pulpit. Wingfield was my favorite; but then, he was also my basketball coach.

Anyway, I mentioned your hockey post to my brothers; they're dying to know who you are. Give us a shout back here or drop me an email at nitz[AT]hotmail.com if you're so inclined.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.