Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Dog Owners On DetroitYes Roll Call!! « Previous Next »
Archive through June 21, 2008Jcole30 06-21-08  5:34 pm
Archive through July 07, 2008Downriviera30 07-07-08  10:56 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alfie, sorry for your loss. I've lost 2 in the last 1 years, and it is very hard to deal with. You gave him a great life by taking him home with you and giving him love for 15 years. Hopefully, you'll feel able to take another dog into your heart and home soon.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9291
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alfie, my condolences.

Losing a close companion like that is very hard.

When my Quixote died last year, I was quite distraught. I promised myself, no more pets!

Luckily for me, a little grey and tan stray showed up at work one day! I'd feed her and she got in the habit of following me on my walk home each day.

One cold and rainy Saturday last November, I opened my door to her and she walked in, she's sleeping at my feet right now.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww Jams - what is her name?

Alfie - so sorry for your loss.

That is the reason I won't have a cat or dog anymore. I can't handle the loss of a beloved pet. The trauma of losing an animal is way too much for me to bear. I can't put myself through that again. When we had a fish tank and one of them would go belly up, I'd be a mess. That just tells you I'm an emotional wreck when it comes to loss like that.

But hurray for the people that go through it again and again. Those pets are the luckiest in the world.

Jams

Post Number: 9292
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Squeakers.

There's a pic of her on the Cat thread.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks all for kind words. this morning, i was sittin here lookin at the internet and heard a kitten just outside my window. she is now fed and sleeping contentedly under my bed. :-) she's about 6 weeks old, orange tabby very pretty. born wild.
if i get another dog i better get it quick so they can grow up together.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, Squeakers is a cat, so who cares (obviously besides you and Eriedearie)? :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on July 09, 2008)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just because you don't care, don't be rude

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just poured a little beer on the lawn in the name of Ace.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2770
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez Alley, it was a joke.

Sometimes I wonder about a few of you...

Jams

Post Number: 9316
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alfie1a
Enjoy!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am owned by a doogie-dog.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2625
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to bring this thread back up - Received this email today and just have to share it. It's so cute.

LIVER & CHEESE

Three handsome male dogs are walking down the street when they see a beautiful, enticing, female Poodle.

The three male dogs fall all over themselves in an effort to be the one to reach her first, but end up arriving in front of her at the same time.

The males are speechless before her beauty, slobbering on themselves and hoping for just a glance from her in return.

Aware of her charms and her obvious effect on the three suitors, she decides to be kind and tells them, 'The first one who can use the words 'liver' and 'cheese' together in an imaginative, intelligent sentence can go out with me.'

The sturdy, muscular black Lab speaks up quickly and says, 'I love liver and cheese.'

'Oh, how childish,' said the Poodle. 'That shows no imagination or intelligence whatsoever.'

She turns to the tall, shiny Golden Retriever and says 'How well can you do?'

'Um. I HATE liver and cheese,' blurts the Golden Retriever.

'My, my,' said the Poodle. 'I guess it's hopeless. That's just as dumb as the Lab's sentence.'

She then turns to the last of the three dogs and says, 'How about you, little guy?'

The last of the three, tiny in stature but big in fame and finesse, is the Taco Bell Chihuahua .

He gives her a smile, a sly wink, turns to the Golden Retriever and the Lab and says...

(ok this is good)

Liver alone. Cheese mine.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 896
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly dog.

Edward Hoagland

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post more doggy pictures--this is my fave thread thus far!

We don't have pets...

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sknutson, what is the temperament of your Norwich terriers? I mean, from the picture they look mellow leaning toward coma. But, are they "yappy"?

Once we're able to have dogs (we both work full-time) we're looking at Portuguese Water Dogs or Standard Poodles. I've thought about a French Bulldog, but I'm not sure about temperament. Besides, Hubby likes a bigger dog.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10303
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

French Bulldogs are fine. They get a bit excited but calm down quickly. Though they are not cheap and have the same problem with luxation as do Boston Terriers. A lot of it depends on the owners and how they react to the situation the dog is in.

I have a Boston Terrier and I used to get upset and yell when she wouldn't listen. But since I have started to talk to her in a calm voice she has settled down and she seems to respond much better.
Bad parents=bad dogs... From my own life lessons.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids are a lot like that. You yell at them and you don't get the response you want. If you talk in a calm voice and take your time to explain something to them, then they will respond the way you want. Didn't find that out till we had already raised our 3 sons; and yelled for 18+ years!

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle at 4 months....

Belle at 2.5 years...

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Molly and Murfee chillin on the couch.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle with the 4th quail she ever saw (or smelled).

And with her "little" brother who is about 7 years her senior...

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lil max claiming some grass i was installing, funny boy says "MINE RIGHT??"

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big family of 4-leggeds here - 5 cats and 3 dogs (yes - all "fixed", all rescues). Dogs - tiny (pit bull mix), Timber (dane/mastiff cross) and Dozer (rott.). All spoiled, but make a better security system than anything else I know. Tried to do a picture, but can't adjust the size to the acceptable range - a bit technologically challenged.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our dog Ranger thinks he's human

pup

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poley

Here's my little sport, Poley. Don't really know what he is - blue heeler and beagle mix? He just showed up at our doorstep as a puppy and has been a great little companion ever since. :-)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our greyhounds Trudy & Clyde.

Trudy & Clyde

Trudy

Clyde

Downriviera

Post Number: 911
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really nice pic of your greyhound in motion. Are those rescue dogs?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just made a topic about this.

I needed a Greyhound to travel between Detroit and Saginaw. They look pretty fast. How much one way?

Dougw

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Yep, they're rescues, both through REGAP. http://www.rescuedgreyhounds.c om/ There are other greyhound rescue groups in the area, too.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doug, they're gorgeous. My old boss had a grey, rescued, that looked like your middle picture. It was her baby. I understand they have really delicate skin that will tear easily. Is that true?

Downriviera

Post Number: 918
Posted on Wednesday, August 27, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mean teeth on this mutt.

http://vids.myspace.com/index. cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual &videoid=41536178

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 958
Posted on Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kasey our Poodle rescued from a home where she spent the 1st 7 months of her life in a cage. The best dog I have ever had. My wife wanted to get a poodle and I wasnt thrilled about it but soon realized what great dogs they are!

Here we have Cleveland Edsel ( my wife asked what Edsel meant on the street sign on the freeway on the way to get him! Of course I was like how do you not know what the Edsel Ford Fwy is? She thought it would make a great middle name for Cleveland!) Anyways Cleveland was in a puppy mill for five years and was a real skiddish and scared dog often shaking for the first month. He was like a soldier shattered from war but over time he became more and more like a regular dog and has really come around to be a sweet dog! Here he is!

Dougw

Post Number: 2156
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole -- Yes, their skin is sort of delicate. They were actually getting quite a few cuts and tears shortly after we got them, but we found that we needed to get rid of some sharp bushes & stumps in our backyard, and that took care of a lot of it. They haven't gotten many cuts lately.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dougw, Do greyhounds bark? Also, what is it with that "vibrating" thing they do? A woman who used to own a shop used to have two rescued greyhounds. They never barked. When I would pet them, they would begin to "vibrate" after a while. It wasn't shaking. Lovely dogs, they were.

Dougw

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most greyhounds bark, but not as much as a lot of breeds. They're definitely not yappy dogs. A neighbor of ours has one greyhound that has only barked twice in the few years that she's had him.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.