Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Meeting a client at Caribou Coffee in Grosse Pointe on Kercheval « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been to this place? How is the coffee/drinks/crowd, service etc...

blksoul_atcha!

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_X,
I have been there several times, the coffee is good, service great, the crowd was typical of any coffee house, mostly younger people working on their laptops, or talking.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'kimistree' stated....
quote:

Blksoul_X,
I have been there several times, the coffee is good, service great, the crowd was typical of any coffee house, mostly younger people working on their laptops, or talking.

Asante' sistah 'kimistree'...I appreciate the information.

blksoul_atcha!

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 180
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul,

Good, relatively quiet place to meet a client if you are looking for a casual meeting. Agree with Kimistree's decription. In addition to youngish and laptoppy, crowd is pretty Grosse-Pointey (white, well-off), but that's not unexpected. Coffee is pretty good.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I must try out this establishment.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 598
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

make sure you wear kakhi pants,blue oxford button down, no socks, you will fit right in!

Otter

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn,

don't forget the boat shoes.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't want to come off as a nut case, but it is true that Caribou Coffee is owned by the First Islamic Investment Bank of Bahrain. In the past they had a cleric who sat on their Board of Directors to guide them in corporate policy to make sure they conform to Shariah law. Another downer was the cleric happened to be a proponant for the destruction of Israel.

Oh well, everyone can decide for themselves on where to go for java, but whenyou buy your Coffee from Caribou the profits go to Bahrain.

While the whole internets is filled with goofy conspiracies, this one is true, The First Islamic Bank has changed it name to arcapita:
http://www.arcapita.com/corpor ate/current/current-date.html

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 599
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter- Boat shoes or J.C. penny loafers. i think those were the loafers,werent they? the ones that had a slot for a penney

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Uh, Ummmm..., I think I'll need a minute.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome- thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't figure out why I never heard weekly Torah readings in my neighborhood Caribou!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Darleton penny loafer by Ralph Lauren is a GP favorite. Even worn at Caribou w/o socks. And it's practically a steal at $795, and that's for a pair, not just one.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caribou has the Best Coffee in the World; very nice place for chatting & wi-fi too.

Otter

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it is little-known that 'caribou' is the phonetic pronunciation of 'death to israel' in the bahraini dialect of arabic. I swear it's true, really.

Gnome, I don't doubt you (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt before looking at the link) but really...big deal. Caribou's corporate overlords are on Bahrain (so what) and one advisor to said overlords holds political views that some find distasteful. <shrug> Blksoul is just looking for a casual place to meet a client and it's in the right place and fits the bill. There is always the Starbucks on the same block but everyone knows they are....Satan! of coffee.

If you wish to debate, start a new topic so as not to minimize threadjacking.

Pgn,

Penny loafers, them's the one! When boat shoes are just too casual.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no intent to debate, just inform ... now back to your discussion on the proper footwear for sipping java.

Otter

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

thanks for the inform (seriously)

After the foortwear, we shall debate the proper pinky extension and leg-crossing angles for coffee-sipping in grosse pointe

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice joint!...HUGE PLACE (though not my cup a tea')...my client was very comfortable and thanked me for an informative meeting.(She suggested Caribou.)

Customer service was great!...nice people, talkative and knowledgeable about their drinks.(a bit expensive for my taste).. I would highly recommend it once and a while for a get-a-away from regular city norms.

Like 'Kimistree' stated, the customers where pretty-much the typical GP'ers (neighborhood), high-schoolers, college, and professional crowd(white)...Not as 'Artsy' as I thought it would be.

The business was a bit slow for the day (stated one of the greeters)...typically, she said it 'is usually more steady than today'. Perhaps it had something to do with the wonderful weather today.

The one thing I noticed that stuck out a bit was the small amount of foot traffic on that strip(Kercheval and Cadieux) ...I even saw some vacant store fronts along the strip.

Like I stated, not my style, but I would recommend this place for many Dy'ers.

Interesting comments on the style of clothing in GP...to be sure, pretty accurate....I saw some 'Crocs', Loafers, Polo Shirts...(LOL!)

Thanks for all the opinions!

blksoul_atcha!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a Caribou Coffee on Mack between Cook and Moross in GPW It seems to be popular and has better parking. The difference(s) between the two? Are are there really differences?
My less that scientific observation is that the Mack Caribou seems to be favored more by women, wheres the Kercheval outlet is much more a combination of both.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is true, the majority owner of Caribou Coffee is the First Islamic Investment Bank of Bahrain, which has had ties to anti-Israel "charities".

For this reason, many Jews don't go to Caribou Coffee.

Starbucks, on the other hand, is "quite Jewish". The chairman, president and CEO (and owner, before it went public) is Howard Schultz, a Jew. He's been active in Jewish/Israeli causes and at Israel's 50th anniversary was a recipient of "The Israel 50th Anniversary Tribute Award". And, most of the food served in Starbucks is actually strictly kosher (though most of the employees are unaware of this, but if you ever have access to the packaging, you can see it quite clearly).

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 271
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a blind date with some woman on match dot com that I was supposed to meet there about 3 years ago, and she stood me up. Oh well, her loss.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.