Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Anyone have an old parasail?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 403
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking for a parasail. Ive got access to a boat, Do you know where a parasail might by lyin around. Could be a fun summer on the river.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I thought at first that you didn't get enough shingles and decided to cover the roof with a parasail instead. LOL. Good luck, it does sound like fun.

Django

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I could do that. A parasail should cover my estate.

Ive got a friend with a boat, we go out regularly. If someone had a parasail, we might be able to make some kind of trade.

My Uncle had one when I was young. On Ford Lake they tied enough rope together to put the parasail up so damn high, willow run airport sent someone over to tell them that if they keep interfering on their airspace, they were going to fine them. They were up so high they were showing up on radar apparently.

Id just love to go up on the river. Anyone know of someone whos got one lying around, we could have some fun.

Ive had no responses on the shingles though. Good advice, just no shingles. It will all work out.

Hope everyones headed down for flower day

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like fun!

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 745
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parasailing on the Detroit River would be a very bad idea. Boat traffic, strong currents and the guaranteed attention of the Coasties and Border Control is just asking for a complicated day on the water.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on May 18, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weve parasailed on much much smaller waters. Ford lake for instance. Its hardly a big deal. The currents I may worry about If I were not wearing a lifejacket. You seem to have some experience Johnny5, do you know who I could talk to about this??

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any experience parasailing, but I do spend a lot of time on the water (Much of it on the Detroit River). The current can be unforgiving and things can happen quickly. Especially in the event that the sail mistakenly makes it into the water (Engine failure?).IMO there's just too much that could go seriously wrong on the river to risk it especially when Lake St. Clair or Erie are such a short distance away.
I was unfortunate enough to witness a water skier lose his life on the St. Clair River a few years back (He was wearing a life jacket). They greatly decrease the risk of injury, but hey don't eliminate it.

Django

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sail always makes it into the water in the end. Thats where you land. The boat slows, the prasail drops, the boat turns around and picks up the person in the water. Same as water skiing. I cant say Ive seen a lot of ppl waterskiing on the river, Ive done it in Lake Erie though, and other rivers of the same size.
Theres a risk in anything when your feet leave the ground. I dont see a problem here though, unless it was a homeland security. So someone please, shit on my parade and tell me the lowdown with homeland.

I do have no info on the homeland security guys though.

Django

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb, nice pic.
I should try and get this parasail in time for the redbull air races, That would be exciting.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I see by your description that you have not parasailed in a while. People actually never leave or land from the water if done safely. You may not want to use a parasail that has just bee laying around either.

Good luck in your quest

Django

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my Exp. you take flight from land an land in the water. As its often difficult to find a corner piece of land to drop the parasailer on dry land. You may be used to the new fangled wench type parasailing, never getting wet, launch off the boat, land on the boat. Im not familiar with that, doesnt look as exciting either. Its been a long time, and Ive never actually been up. I was just around it a lot back in the 80s

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the type from the boat, back to the boat - Just getting started.

BahamaYes!

Django

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just give me a parachute and a rope, LOL.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What could possibly go wrong?

Django

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please extinguish all cigarettes.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt the water patrol would let you do that on the Detroit River. For one thing many parts of the river have no wake restrictions, meaning you'd have to stay in the navigable channel. And that means you'd interfere. Also there are power lines and bridges etc. Out in Lake Erie, no problem. The River, I wouldn't even try it. Overton's sells those or did anyway.

Django

Post Number: 758
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overtons, Thank you. Im kinda lookin for one that might be in good shape thats layin around in someones garage.
Your prob. right about the river but theres plenty of space on the lake. Never really thought about it. It would be a lot more fun though on the river. If a parasail comes to a possibility, Ill do the research. Can you imagine how cool it would be to parasail by the Ren Cen?? Even if they did make you stop doing it, what a story that would be. How many power lines and bridges are in the river by the Ren Cen? Belle Isle Bridge and the Ambassador is all I can think of.

Whose got a parasail???

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.