Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Annual Forum Picnic, Sunday, May 25 « Previous Next »
Archive through May 21, 2008Islandman30 05-21-08  10:15 am
Archive through May 23, 2008Sean_of_detroit30 05-23-08  11:47 pm
Archive through May 26, 2008Pam30 05-26-08  8:36 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 842
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry I didn't make it. Too many last minute things left to do. I'm leaving in the morning BUT I want you all to know - I'll be missing each and every one of you I've met during my years in the D, I love you all and I love Detroit (crying right now). I'll be in touch via this website and I'll see you on the Other Side

Love and Peace,
Juliette

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2869
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it was a small gathering by annual DYes Picnic standards, but a good time was had by all. I counted about 25 total, including offspring, spouses, and friends. And what a great day to be on Belle Isle...perfect weather!

Thanks to all who came or dropped by...sharing food and drink, enjoying good camaraderie and great conversion, and making new acquaintances!

Thanks for your kind words. It was our pleasure. Let's do it again next year.

Ghetto Butterfly: We missed you, and we will miss you. Best wishes on your new adventure, Juliette!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5416
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take care and best wishes to Ghetto Butterfly!Come back and visit!

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 508
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you guys think about having two? Another one right before Labor Day?

Django, I had no idea that was your doing. My sister is a art nut (and an art teacher), and she LOVES your work. She has shown examples (pictures) to her class, believe it or not.

How long have you been doing that?

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 596
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats great, I love hearing that kind of stuff Sean_O

Probably started 4 yrs ago. Theres a guy out in Ann Arbor, he, I believe, owns the used record store (cant remember the name) upstairs next to nickles arcade. He stacks some AMAZING ROCKS. all in the Arb park river. There beautifuly rounded stones, he stacks them in the middle of the small river. I totally admire him. The rocks are almost perfectly round (or oval) Hes really amazing. I dont know if he still does them or not. I got the idea from him. That was my favorite spot on Belle Isle and I made one, then two, then five, then ppl started noticing them. Probably the greatest experience of my life was meeting everyone who stopped by to check them out.

I hope to try and do a few this year. Hopefully the grounds crew wont be knockin them over every morning this time.

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes please! We should have more than one, have one every weekend, picnics everywhere, MWHAHAHAHA! Anyways, yes another picnic would be nice.

Django

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I know theres more pics out there of the picnic. Am I the only one whose going to post em?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6638
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I missed it. My day kind of got away from me... (Time has been doing a lot of that lately).

Ndmom
Username: Ndmom

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really glad I attended the picnic. It was just a very relaxed atmosphere. My husband enjoyed meeting everyone also. Thank you Kathleen for organizing. Dave, Kathleen's husband, makes the best brownies ever!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dave, Kathleen's husband, makes the best brownies ever!••

Those were good brownies. Pardon my bad manners- belated thanks to Kathleen and Dave.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again for the kind words!! And let me express our thanks to all of you who contributed and who helped tear down and pack up and leave the place spotless! We really appreciated everyone's help throughout the day.

I haven't had a chance to download my photos, but will try to do so this evening and post a few.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2871
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few photos from this year's picnic. Enjoy!

DYes flyer

Remembering ItsJeff

ItsJeff

All set up and ready to go!

SetUp

Picnic1

Picnic2

Picnic3

Picnic4

Picnic5

Picnic6

Picnic7

Picnic8

Picnic9

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4817
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Pics Kathleen! A special thanks to you and Grillmaster Dave for all your hard work in pulling all this together. Kudos to Cub for the terrific bread pudding. Here is a pic I found captured on my camera by Django when he borrowed it for a while.

DetroitYES picnic Belle Isle Detroit

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, Ray36---we gotta show up for this function next year. Nice pictures, nice intimate group. Look at all those young Forumers. Between the three of us, we could recite over 200 years of Detroit history and stories of old, Bet we could have
them all asleep in a half hour.
jjaba, drive down in the Dexter bus,and bring your Cass Tech year book, Ray,cruise down on your motorcycle and bring old Police Academy final exam test scores, I'll see if I can locate another '48 Crosley, will bring my Martin Guitar and we can sing that old-time favorite, "It ain't no sin to take off your skin, and dance around in your bones". Bet even Lowell does not remember that one. Hope I can remember the words.

Django

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen and Lowell, I happen to know theres a few more pics out there GANNON.

I just like to see myself on the internets

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12985
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyby

MotoHell

Conspirators

Gannon

Post Number: 12987
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WhoDisHo?

Django

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who the hell is Mr. Orange? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen --
I appreciate that you and your husband work so hard to keep this tradition alive. Some day, maybe next year, I'll be in Michigan at the right time to attend.

Gannon

Post Number: 12988
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playball 1

Playball 2

Playball 3

Playball 4

Gannon

Post Number: 12989
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mother Superior and her Master

Django

Post Number: 643
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, the main reason I borrowed your camera was to get your pic. Wheres the ones I took of you? The cameraman never gets his pic taken. Lets see at least one.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I didn't make it down this year guys. The gass prices are really making it difficult to make it down there as often as I would like.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the record, who showed up?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally forgot. Next year.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 525
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, it was Belle Isle? I went to Zug Isle.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6921
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the heck can you forget?

We plastered it over every forum on DetroitYES!!

LOL... :-)

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Hey Gistok: how do you make those real smiley faces?

Django

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im also curious about the smileys.

Im also down for a second picnic. Why not. Maybe a different spot like at Itsjeffs place. Thats my favorite part of the island anyway. Swimming in that canal or whatever it is by the lighthouse would be fun. Wouldnt be fair to put this on Kathleen though. Can we have a nomination of someone, (not me).<smiley face

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use a : and ) close together and it automatically makes a smiley. :-)

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 887
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing the pics. Too bad we can't match folks with their monikers. I guess I can always speculate:

Django

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) :-)

Django

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, June 02, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-(:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

not every days gonna be great, I think?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.