Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Any News on this years Forum picnic? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 836
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sunday before Memorial Day (I hope it's not a secret one :-) - I might be able to make it one last time before I move but I haven't seen any updates. Is it still on? Where can I get info as in last years?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a DYes Picnic is in the works. Mark your calendar for Sunday, May 25, 12 noon, on Belle Isle. The exact site is still to be determined.

All are welcome!

I'll be posting with a few more details soon.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The annual DetroitYES Picnic will be held on Sunday, May 25, starting at 12 noon. We are gathering on Belle Isle as usual, but trying to keep it more informal and less expensive than in past years.

As such, we did not reserve the ShadySide picnic shelter which has been the site of our four previous picnics. After scoping out the island yesterday, especially the restroom situation, Dave and I decided that we will remain in the vicinity somewhere along Muse St or Loiter Way, not too far from the facilities. Here's a link to a Belle Isle map: http://www.mapbelleisle.com/ Watch for directional signs to guide you!!

Dave and I will provide two dining canopies, BBQ grill, 3 midsize tables plus 4 snack tables as well as paperware and plasticware, serving dishes and utensils, condiments, munchies, and coolers with ice.

Please join us and bring a dish or dessert to pass, your beverage of choice as well as meat or other food to grill, buns, and your lawn chairs and picnic blankets.

Hope to see you at the picnic! If you are planning to come, please post and let us know what dish or dessert you are bringing to share and how many in your party so that we don't run short of supplies. And if anyone can bring a grill or dining canopy, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12796
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like I'll have to invest in D-cells for that boombox...so we're not ALL going to have lower expenses, heh!

As last year, I will also have a connection wire for anyone's iPods...so we can have a better music selection than mine.

Cheers

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? I thought your mix-tape cassette of Liberace's greatest hits was wildly popular.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has some suggestions for music Ill try and do my best to make a mixed disc or four. What do you all like?? ???Ill start out with my own suggestions, as Im assuming this is gonna be a crowd of 40 something's (correct me If Im wrong)
Fleetwood mac, beatles, clash, talking heads, marvin gaye, Ive really been into my dads stuff lately, gordon lightfoot, ccr. If you all tell me what you want Ill do what I can.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Django. If past picnic attendance is any indication, there will definitely be all ages represented....mostly younger than 40s, definitely 20s to 50+.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little Dramatics and i will be happy lol.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12805
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And everyone will complain about the music.

I was playing mostly Detroit originals.

Dunno, maybe I'm a wee bitter, heh.

Just trying to do something nice for people...

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe people can tell what they're bringing on this thread, or start another dedicated to that, so there's a good variety and not too many repeats?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was hoping that this one thread would suffice for people to let us know that they are coming and what they are bringing, but maybe another thread with a clear title would work better. Thanks for the suggestion, Alley!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 360
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cub, I couldnt locate any dramatics on my bit torrent or whatever the thing is where I get my music. All I can say is bring a disc of your own. Im still lookin for suggestions though. Ill do my best. IF I DONT GET SOME SUGGESTIONS, IM BRINGING 5 DISCS OF NIEL DIAMOND

(Message edited by django on May 14, 2008)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dramatics were a fantastic group. Couple of years ago, The Dramatics had a web-site where one could freely download many of their MP3s. Cannot Google for it right now though. AIR, the URL was not at all obvious.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 14, 2008)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a small collection on my laptop. I will burn a disc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.