Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Autism « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am currently working on putting together a directory and website of service providers (dentists, hair salons, therapists, camps, etc) that service children and adults with autism. If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it. This will be a free service to parents and families, schools, hospitals, etc. I would prefer to stick to Wayne County providers but will include anyone in the Metro area (Oakland County already has a directory of providers in Oak. Cnty.). Please email TMCooleyweb at aol dot com with any info. I'll send a formal letter asking permission to use that organization/business in the directory.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister teaches autistic children at GP South High School, and also babysits for several families with autistic children. I'll forward this info and email address to her, and see what she can come up with

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Alley. I do have a letter of request for information and questionnaire for parents that I can forward to her.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, if you aim to include sports opportunities, I help run a baseball league for special-needs kids called The Miracle League of Michigan. We have a rubberized, wheelchair-accessible field in Southfield and will begin our fifth season May 31.

For more information, surf to www.michiganmiracle.org.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6987
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that there are 2 forumers who are mildly Autistic, but decorum/netiquette (and possibly violating a DetroitYES forum rule) prevents me from saying who.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 13084
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whachoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Oh yeah...mine Asperger's.

I do very well with Autistic children...empathy rules!

I don't know of any official stuff that'd help the teach, though.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are just putting together a resource for parents and educators of service providers (haircuts, dentists, doctors, etc) who work well with people on the spectrum. ANY info would be helpful.

Pcasey
Username: Pcasey

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was a roll call for autistic forumers...people have already divided up along racial and sexual preference lines.

What's next...flat footed forumers? Cleft palates? Who here's gotta cleft palate?

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haute versus Nouvelle cuisine?

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 386
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Innie vs. outie?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7005
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot about you Gannon... that makes 2 1/2! :-)

Cut versus uncut?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.