Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Kaptansolo, tponetom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo: Re: your post 337. Excellent!

I have no stories of the present day issues of Detroit and the ‘black and white’ decisive attitudes that abound.

What I do like, and identify with, are the written descriptions of those attitudes, both pro and con.

What I lament , is this. As long as we, meaning human kind, insist on using the derisive terms of “black and white” the twines shall never meet. Intermingle would be the more appropriate word, but such an association is not likely to occur.

In my nearly eighty years, I have never seen a ‘white’ person, like in milk or snow. But the word white conjures the images of purity, cleanliness and angelic endowments. Nor have I ever seen a black person as well.

The word ‘black’ portrays fear of the darkness and all the accompanying images of unseen evils that we think may exist because of that darkness.

I take a small amount of pride in the fact that I have Irish, German, French and Native American blood coursing through my veins. Two of those bloodlines suffered great persecutions over the centuries. A third one shamed itself in World War Two.

I easily recognize and embrace an Italian-American, a Brazilian American and a Chad American or a Congo American, because I would give them the same courtesy and recognition of their genetics that I hope they would give me.
I believe, all of the above nationalities should have the same genetic pride of their ancestors as I have in mind.

If we could eliminate the words, black, white, hate, racism and WAR from our lexicon. “What a wonderful 'woild' it could be!” (I think Louis Armstrong made that line famous.”)

I recently posted a story about the “Brown Bomber.” It received scant attention. I wonder If I had entitled it, “Black Bomber,” would it have received some comments?

Such are the vagaries of opinion.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the French rolled right over "in World War II." Lucky for you the German heritage did a damn good job in combat.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5890
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tpontome, I love the way you write are you a writer by profession, or do you just love the art of story telling?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.