Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Ghosts from 40 years back. « Previous Next »
Archive through May 10, 2008Ray193630 05-10-08  11:32 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, he was just Inspector. During your years, he would have been at the 15th, the City-County building, the 5th and lastly at 1st Precinct. He became a Lieutenant in 54, and Inspector in 65. He was also big into the Goodfellows every Christmas.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Jcole and Ray1936 - now I have questions for both of you.

Jcole - do you by any chance have a relative named Phyllis Cole that lived on Ruth Street in Detroit back in the late 50s? I believe her mom and dad were from either KY or TN. She was a friend of mine.

Ray1936 - are you familiar with the names Frank Nazzar and Marty Joseph? Frank retired from the DPD a few years back. I'm not sure what precinct he was at but he did tell me that Marty was a Lt. - I think? Details in my brain about that are fuzzy right now! A senior moment has hit me.

Anyway, just wondering? Thanks! Have a good day ya'll!

Jcole

Post Number: 552
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we didn't have any relatives that I am aware of from down south. Oddly enough, I have a sister named Ruth, though.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, knew of both of them. Marty was a frustrated stand-up comedian, and after seeing his schtick, I suggested he not give up his day job. By the way, Erie.....senior moments are allowed when carrying on a thread with me.....:-)

Jcole, sure, now it hits me...and I think he coordinated the Goodfellows drive with the DPD for years. Sorry that I didn't know him personally.

Jcole

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, they called him Mr. Goodfellow. As you can see, I'm a little proud of Dad. He was a great guy. I wish you could have known him, and I wish I could have known him a little longer than I did.
I'm also very proud of all of Detroit's men in blue.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the answers!

Yeah I knew Marty from when we were teenagers. I was crazy about him back then! And Frank is one of our summer neighbors. He and his wife own and operate Gino's Surf and Turf on Jefferson. They call it Gino's Surf and Banquet Hall. They are two super nice people.

Jcole - just thought I'd ask and see if you knew Phyllis. I've been trying to contact her for years. We lost touch after high school and I really regret that. That is pretty cool that you have a sister named Ruth! That's my mom's name and we lived on Ruth!

Jcole

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have been cooler if my sister Ruth had lived on Phylis St., but you can't have everything.
I know what you mean about losing touch with someone. I lost touch with my best friend after I got married, and even thirty odd years later, I wish I could find her.
Her dad was DPD also. Maybe Ray1936 knew him. Officer Jack Dugan. I think he spent most of his career at 13, but I can't be sure

Ray1936

Post Number: 3122
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, that name fails to strike a bell. Of course, at this stage of the game for me, the bell doesn't strike all that often, and then.....

.....Wow! I coulda had a V-8!

Jcole

Post Number: 559
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean. My bell doesn't strike very hard sometimes either. More like a ping.

Denny
Username: Denny

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, Were you still workin when "Little Petie"
"went away"? I"ve been to Tiger Stadium with him a few times, & around th corner from Lori"s lounge,a "go go" type joint owned by bros., Mike & {senior moment} here, on streets & names; i"ll keep thinkin.......I still have th NEWS front page on Pete..

Denny

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I thot of th Bros., Mike & Marty!!
Z was a regular...mid 70"s.........

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 971
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, this was probably before your time but I apparently had a distant Uncle on the DPD back in the 20s 30s and 40s I believe. Named Fred Stinnett. its a long shot but thought Id throw it out there. Another distant relative on the force in Grosse Pt, was George VanTiem. I believe he was the Chief of Police in the 50s and 60s.

My Father (technically my step father) went to Austin Prep. which I believe was in GP. He graduated in 65'. I should probably start another thread on this subject.

Nice job Ray. I had a similar experience, except it was done FOR me. A man in Sweden collected medals and war memoribilia. He came across a set of my Fathers war medals from VietNam. He tracked my ass down and sent them to me. This was about 10 yrs ago, before everyone was so puter savy. He went through the clerks office in AnnArbor, found my step grandmother, then found me. I in turn was then somehow able to get in touch with some of the few buddies he made during his short time in VietNam. That was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me as a stranger.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django - that story has touched me. How wonderful of someone to do that for you.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3255
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's a good story, Dj. No, I didn't know the name of Stinnett, but I remember VanTiem as being quoted in the papers whenever anything (rarely!) happened out in the pointes. Usually a fatal traffic accident or something.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My Father (technically my step father) went to Austin Prep. which I believe was in GP."

Actually, Austin was in Detroit on E. Warren across from Balduck Park but just before Mack. The other side of Mack in that area is Grosse Pointe Farms.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live by marty joseph,he was at pct 9+15 with my father.We lived on hamburg off 7 mile,they lived on waltham.Marty was a wild guy,awalys had something going on.Great times.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Davemarc! If I remember correctly, Marty came from a big family. I think he was one of nine kids. So I would think there was always something going on with him! He was a lot of fun to be around when we were teenagers too!

Davemarc

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the same age as his kids,their names escape me.That whole neighborhood was cops from that pct.It seemed like everyone knew everyone.My mom would get pulled by my dads buddies just to say "hey"

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! That's cute. Bet it scared your mom the first couple of times!

I didn't know Marty had become a cop till I saw him on a news channel once. There was some crime or other going on and he was the cop the reporter was interviewing. That had to be about 20 yrs. ago or so.

Did he end up having a big family of his own? How many kids, do you remember?

Davemarc

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea,She was not happy.....Marty had a son and a daughter.I think,mike and michelle,I'll be 40 this year,and they where close to my age.They moved when I was In my early teens,I saw marty a few times since,they could have more kids after that but,thats what I recall.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1902
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Davemarc! It's a small world anymore! Especially with computers around.

Denny

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my post of Jun 17 on "connect" must be "closed subj"., or "no interest"

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe she could photoshop the booking plate out and a park like setting behind her dad in that picture...... = )

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All these years later Ray, and you still collared 'yer man!

Ray1936

Post Number: 3424
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever since the genealogy bug bit me, Bullet, I have a fine time digging up people. When I started it ten years back, I had about three dozen names and vitals of family members. Today my database is up to No. 6317, the brand new wife of a cousin in Seattle that I just learned about yesterday. Here's the bottom of the list from my database in the 'puter.

list

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave, whereabouts on Waltham? We lived 2 houses south of Manning, and my parents were there until 1990.

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know what you mean about the genealogy bug Ray...ironically enough, it was the hall of fame thread about Poletown that hooked me on this forum:-)

Davemarc

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim,Marty lived on the last bock before greiner.Big house,double lot with a pool.We lived on hamburg,just off seven mile,by the dairy queen

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray,

based on that list, looks like we might be long lost relatives as well.

Does the name Herderich ring a bell from DPD?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3448
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richard Herderich. DPD. Also Mackenzie High School. We go back to around the Civil War or so.

Does more than ring a bell....brings back memories!

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow....

you talk with him at all anymore? IIRC you and he had almost identical DPD tenures.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your posts always have reminded me of him. You have similar viewpoints and the same sense of humor and style of conversation. He's now a part of my family, and we're glad to have him. I imagine he would get a kick out of this too....

Ray1936

Post Number: 3452
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I haven't seen Dick in decades. When I retired in '84, I moved to Las Vegas, allowing you folks to enjoy Michigan winters all by yourselves. :-) And, yes, we had just about the same tenures. We both played in the Mackenzie band, too. Ask him if he's still an ace on the French Horn.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray - would he know you by your first name? Have any clues I can give him (without you giving your anonymity away to the forum) that would help him remember?

I think this will fascinate him greatly... I love hearing about his DPD days

Ray1936

Post Number: 3456
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, actually, Dick and I never worked at the same assignment. So his adventures were different, if similar, than mine. If you're teasing him, the clincher would be my last name, Downing. (See? I'm not afraid to post it!)

Anyway, we'd cross paths from time to time. It would be a couple of smiles and "How ya doin'?" type thing.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 771
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, did you ever have any contact with my cousin Odson Tetreault, who started as a DPD officer in 48?

As a child, my family and I visited him and his large family at their home in Indian Village in the 60s, but I have not had any contact with them since.

After doing a web search, wow.. apparently he rose up pretty high in the ranks, to Executive Secretary of the Board of Police Commissioners retiring at the end of '98. Pretty illustrious career.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on July 26, 2008)

Ray1936

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never worked for Tate, but he was a popular supervisor according to others who did work for him. Actually, after retiring around the late 70s, he was appointed to the position of Exec Secretary to the Board. It was a "civilian" classification. So at the time, he was drawing his pension and drawing a full time salary as a civilian employee. Completely legal, have no fear.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, since you're answering all these "did you know" questions, I thought I'd give you one. Did you know a guy named Kenneth Terrell? He was on DPD in the 50s and 60s. He and his wife were friends of my parents, which probably put him at 6-10 years older than you. I can't give you much more info (except that he occasionally would pop over to our house and pull into the driveway with the siren on and lights flashing). We lived between 7 & 8 and Schoenherr & Hoover, so he was probably at the Connor precinct for some time.

He's no longer with us, and his wife moved back to small town Tennessee near where my parents now live.

Ray1936

Post Number: 3467
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta pass on that one, Jim. Since I always worked on the west side, except for six years at 2650 E. Jefferson (Motor Traffic), didn't get to know all that many east siders.

Jjaba gave me strict orders not to associate too much with them, or he would revoke my pass on the Dexter bus. :-)

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray, it was just a shot in the dark.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.