Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Canoli « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bbq1945
Username: Bbq1945

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in the Detroit area and loved getting Canoli's at the bakeries. The canoli's seem to be all over the place. Now I live in Seattle and can't find them anywhere. I really don't understand why they aren't available in this area. Some places even say they have Canoli's but a true lover of the Detroit Canoli's would spit them out. They're terrible! Any suggestions - other then moving back to Detroit?

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a Starbuck's Coffee.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3054
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter Clemenza: Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945-make your own, or have someone make them for you!

Recipes are online or at the library.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet there are bakeries that would mail them to you. Or you could visit Detroit and do a 'bakery crawl'! Bring lots of Tums!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just FYI: Saying "cannolis" is like saying "pastrieses" or "donutses." In other words, "cannoli" is already plural. "Cannola" is the word for just one.

And Bommarito's over in St. Clair Shores makes the best cannoli.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

''Cannolo'' is the singular for cannoli, not used very often cuz who only wants just one!

Bbq1945

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Canoli! Help me find some in Seattle!!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, Bommarito's! Right there in the pastry case, taunting me......mmmmmmmmm.....come to me, my little cannoli! One to eat in the store, chomp chomp chomp, and one to eat in the car (haven't even left the parking lot!).

Bbq1945

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy, you know how to hurt a guy!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick google search shows them at "La Medusa" in Columbia City.

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you find the Italian people, the canoli can't be far.

Look for tomato gardens.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Thnk2mch for the tip. I emailed the restaurant asking whether or not they had the real mccoy or some kind of west coast version. Will let you know if they respond. They used to have an area in Seattle called "garlic gulch" where the Italian's lived. Doesn't exist anymore.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq, try La Medusa
4857 Rainier Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98118
See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/ food/318576_sopranos06.html

I'll have a cannola from Julian Brothers and think about you.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl,

look up three posts ^^^^

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but the correct address is Seattle, not Columbia City.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever....
Bbq1945 found there email, he/she will find their address.

For the record, from their website: :-)

quote:

Anyone who thinks it's a man's world hasn't been to La Medusa, the little "Sicilian Soul Food" restaurant in Columbia City.

quote:

An exuberant celebration of the bold, briny flavors and Moorish influences of Sicilian food, a cuisine unrepresented in this town till La Medusa took a chance on Columbia City.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a copy of the email I sent to La Medusa:

I'm a transplant from Detroit to Seattle and looking for a bakery/restaurant that makes great cannoli's. First, do you have them available? Second, do they have the filling using ricotta cheese? I've been very disappointed in the West Coast type of cannoli. Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Still waiting to hear back from them!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 12629
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I'm within a short jaunt to the Dearborn Italian Bakery over on Ford Road just west of Telegraph I have to stop in for their pizza rolls and a slice...and cannot resist two cannoli for dessert!

I don't think they'll ship well...they occasionally fall apart when eating them. OK, they ALWAYS fall apart, but I've learned my Polish/Irish approach to proper consuming and never miss a crumb.

I wish you well in your quest, Bbq.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bommarito's will sell you the filling and the shells separate. It's a great way to send them because the shells won't get soggy. A little dry ice and a trip to the post office...I'm betting, a friend for life!

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

America - the Land of Opportunity.
See a need?
Fill a need!

Cannoli By Mail
http://cannolibymail.com/
Amen.

(Message edited by Gingellgirl on May 08, 2008)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6479
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbq1945, welcome to The Forum. Stop for any cement finishing project and ask the Goombahs.

Foundations, sidewalks, road paving, etc.
Italians have been doing that work all over America since the first boatload came from Genoa and Palermo.

You can also ask around at any Italian wedding or wake you attend.

jjaba on the Westside.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 740
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marias in Ferndale had a great Canoli. The Villa on Gratiot has a excellent Canolis.

Bbq1945

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked out the cannoli by mail website and it's really expensive to order them and not sure about the quality. Talked with an ex-detroiter living in San Francisco area and they have the same problem as Seattle - cannoli's, yes - Detroit style, no! You people in Detroit are so lucky!!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We know...na, na, na, na, na!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.