Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Lawn Clover? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may not save Tiger Stadium or help Christine Beatty with her defense fund, but I need help. Is it too late to get rid of, or stop clover on my lawn?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 6266
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you already have growing clover, you may have missed the boat. A weed preventer is the best way to keep crabgrass and clover out of the yard, it prevents the seeds from germinating.

Get out there on a nice dewey morning (moisture is critical) and drop some weed and feed on them. You need the moisture for the chemical to stick to the leaf, even if it is a liquid spray. Do it soon, come summer when the days are hot and they are not well watered, you won't have any decent effect.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 612
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does this bother you? I am genuinely curious, as I've never heard of someone trying to get rid of clover before. Is this something people commonly find annoying?

Servite76

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, thanks for the response. I'll try that the first humid morning.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing to time for your application is the future rain forecast. That will wash away any application you put down.
You can create "dew" with a garden hose.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4129
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clover lawns were all the rage back in the day.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weed-be-gone from ortho will do the trick. Mix it up and spray it on. I started to use it because I liked to walk my garden barefoot and stepped on too many bees

Servite76

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all for the suggestions. Bearinabox, the reason I don't want clover is that I'm turning into an old fat bald man who doesn't want clover on his lawn. And if any kids are listening. "STAY OFF OF MY LAWN" There, I said it, now I feel better.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a problem area on the boulevard strip where dense maple tree roots, grubs and lack of water have combined to kill off the grass. It's on the southside of the tree and gets baked during the summer drought. I tried English ivy and periwinkle but they both do better in the shade. This year I've sown dutch white clover seeds which have germinated OK and filled in the area. I'm curious about the expected bee action when the clover flowers.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had some success using weed-be-gone. If you have a large patch of clover or if the weed-be-gone doesn't work there is a spray you can buy that's made just for clover. I bought it by the gallon at Bordines. It comes out red to mark the spots you treated and the clover was gone within a week or two without hurting the lawn.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

be organic, transplant some bunnies

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urine works, but it takes a while to cover it all.

Fareast
Username: Fareast

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clover is good! Weed B Gone...bad. Save the bunny food and feed the soil, too. :>)

Servite76

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clover is not good when your son is highly allergic to bee's. That's why I want to get rid of it.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 906
Posted on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Servite - I'm not second-guessing you. Having said that: is your kid's allergy sensitive to all bee stings? I ask because I've never seen honeybees on lawn clover. Bubblebees I've seen. Just asking if maybe you're casting too wide of a net. Weed-Be-Gone is your friend if there's no room for error.

Good luck with the little guy. Good news, I guess, is that they wild honeybee is all but extinct in Michigan. Bad for the bees, good for the little Servite.

Servite76

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Graig, unfortunately the little Servite is allergic to all bee's. Clover, if not cut low will flower if know. That's when it's a problem. We've learned, colored shirts and shorts are out when outdoors and epi pin and benydryl are always nearby.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.