Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » VATER syndrome « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2402
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this and hopeful stories

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no knowledge of this particular syndrome but I did find this on one of my medical research sites. You may already have this info since you're asking, but thought I'd post it for you just in case.

VATER syndrome or VACTERL association is a nonrandom association of birth defects. The reason it is called an association, rather than a syndrome is that all of the birth defects are linked, however it is still unknown which genes, or sets of genes cause these birth defects to occur.

Each child with this condition can be truly unique in its own way, with defects being different from any other child. At present this condition is treated after birth with issues being approached one at a time.

VACTERL association can be linked to other similar conditions such as, Klippel Feil and Goldenhar Syndrome including crossovers of conditions.

No specific genetic or chromosome problem has been identified with VACTERL association. VACTERL can be seen with some chromosomal defects such as Trisomy 18 and is more frequently seen in babies of diabetic mothers. VACTERL association, however, is most likely caused by multiple factors.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedic tionary.com/VATER+syndrome

I also found this forum. There may be some very useful discussion on the subject here for you.

http://www.thevaterconnection.com/category-view.asp

(edited for additional info)

(Message edited by eriedearie on April 19, 2008)

Gibran

Post Number: 2407
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you so much...VACTERL is the extended catagory...yes we are approachingit one day at a time as well as one surgery....thanks for the response

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't already...check out that vaterconnection. I was lurking around on there and spotted some encouraging messages.

I wish you and yours the best.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family, Gibran!!

Gibran

Post Number: 2410
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks so much....both of you

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.