Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » City tax help! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Midtowng
Username: Midtowng

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello! i've been greatly perplexed by my tax situation as of late... i live in Midtown in an NEZ yet i'm still paying over $2500 a year in taxes! it doesn't make sense to me... does this make sense to anyone else out there???

wondering if there's anyone out there who can offer some tips on how to right this or if you know anyone who can help me... i'd be willing to compensate if they can help fix this problem...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2973
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the SEV (State Equalized Value) of your home? Is the SEV approximately half of your home's current market value? Is your home a historic rehab, new construction or one of the new neighborhood NEZ's? Is the property your homestead and did you fill out the correct paperwork to designate it as such?

Without knowing those factors we have no idea if your home is overtaxed or not.

Having said that, $2500 sounds cheap to me.

Don't forget Detroit has one of the highest Millage rates in the state. 65.6 mills for Homestead, 83.6 mills for non homestead. (These are combined County and City rates.) The NEZ is generally set up to bring your taxes in line with neighboring communities. (unless it's a historic rehab, then it will be significantly less than surrounding rates.)

Don't forget $300 of that bill is a trash collection fee, if you're in a single family unit.

(Message edited by ndavies on April 21, 2008)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah 2500 does sound cheap.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.