Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » For jjaba ... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 381
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and inspired by the Tigers/Yankees film from 1956 I posted elsewhere in this forum ... mazel tov!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bXT auo3I7A8&feature=related

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6328
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic doucette, this was a wonderful treat. Thank you very much for sending it, and jjaba hopes others enjoy it.

American Jews have long played, adored, and been involved in all manner of baseball. jjaba was schlepped to Briggs Stadium as a youngster and is a great lifelong Tigers Fan. He played baseball on Detroit streets and vacant lots.

In 1996, Mandy (nee Mandel Bruce) Patinkin recorded an entire album in Yiddish. jjaba enjoys it alot. Called, "MAMALOSHEN", meaning 'mother tongue', it reminds jjaba of his roots in Yiddish culture and among Yiddischkeit on Detroit's Westside.

Patinkin was born and raised on Chicago's Southside, attended South Shore High School, trained at Julliard, and went on to star as Che in EVITA on Broadway. He has a long resume' in film, theater, and on television.

Of memory were his cameos on Letterman's Show, singing old Al Jolson tunes. Tony Randall would break in asking to borrow the stage for a rehearsal and out came Mandy Patinkin, with full orchestral back-up. The audience was shocked how good it was.

The combination of the flashback photos and Mandy's voice was simply wonderful. Thanks.
Zol zein mit mazel and zei mir gazunt, Vic.

jjaba, Westside Baseball Fan and Torah Bukkor.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8364
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of respect for Jjaba, I withheld my response, but a great find Vic.

I sent it on to my old college roommate, now a rabbi in Indiana, he loved it!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6329
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, wow! Sorry jjaba made you wait 2 hrs.
Oy, I'm still excited with schpulkas over this video.

So help jjaba with the photos, the caps, the stadia, the players. This could be a great discussion for those who watch the video. We might all learn from Vic's wonderful feed.

Vic, definitely HOF, your post #381.

jjaba, Tigers Fan.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.