Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Entertaining an 11-year old in the city-- help! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi!

i am hanging out with an 11-year old girl that i just got matched with via the alternatives for girls mentor program on saturday. while i've taken my 4-year old niece on detroit adventures, an 11-year old girl is a whole different story!

the weather is supposed to be crappy, the DIA doesn't have anything going on, the science center IMAX is a maybe and i'm really just curious about what people like to do with their pre-teens in detroit.

anyone?

thanks in advance!

p.s. i did check the archives for similar threads and only found one very short thread, but it did suggest marvin's marvelous mechanical museum. brilliant!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3897
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Detroit Historical Museum? I was there a few weeks ago and there were a lot of people with kids there.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My oldest son is 13, but I've been hanging out in Detroit with him for several years. He has always loved the science center. He also likes to go to Belle Isle, the Riverwalk, and Eastern Market with me. He likes to eat in Greektown and have flaming cheese, but even more than that he loves Lafayette Coney Island. Some of the shows that come to the different venues are good for kids that age, as are the different sporting events. Kids that age enjoy a lot of the things that adults enjoy, on a more wholesome level.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out. Great Stuff has lots of suggestions for entertaining the kids.

http://www.greatstuff2do.com/d efault.asp

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6322
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball games if the weather cooperates.
There are some kiddie stations there also.

African-American Museum is good for kids.

Detroit Zoo.

Greenfield Village, Henry Ford Museum, Ford F-150 plant tours. One stop shopping and a long full day of activities. They have gift shops and food vending.

Check for a schmaltzy musical theater show. Some are great for kids.

jjaba.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all might think this is silly, but you could just stay home and do a craft project or two together. The importance of one-on-one time without big distractions is sometimes overlooked.

Teach her how to cook something. When I was 11, I started wanting to cook. Bake cookies and wrap them for her to take home to her family - or take them to a shelter. Play Scrabble together. Jenga is fun. Then, just go for a walk in the neighborhood.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4078
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dossin Museum on Belle Isle is open 11-4 on Saturdays & Sundays, free of charge

don't know what the hours for the conservatory are

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent thoughts, Kathinozarks!

My best memories of childhood were doing stuff with my Mom and Dad, not the whiz bang stuff of museums and other attractions.

The Dossin Great Lakes Museum is a really good idea.

Spring bird migration is starting to rev up, and the Detroit River is an important part of the Great Lakes Flyway. If you visit Belle Isle there are sure to be other bird watchers.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4327
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PuppetArt Theater on Grand River and Woodward. Then a grown-up lunch at Lolas.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pewabic Pottery, especially if you can take a class together.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit film theater has a great Harold Lloyd Comedy at 4:00 pm on Saturday and the best part it is FREE. I went last week with my daughter and saw the Great Mary Pickford in "Daddy Long Legs" which we both enjoyed

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks to you all for your suggestions! we ended up going to marvin's marvelous mechanical museum (which she LOVED!) and then out to lunch. next time i would prefer to stay in the city and do something and i will be sure to use some of your suggestions.

thanks!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken my daughter (now 14) to these, she loved them. The events give us a chance to enjoy and learn about nature without having to travel to far. These are cheap events too, usually only a few dollars.

http://www.metroparks.com/prog rams/i_programs.php

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get her a lemonade at Comerica park.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My little is about the same age as yours. We have worked out a system where I pick him up from school once a week or so and hang out with him for the afternoon. We do his homework first thing and then do some simple things, like walking his dogs or playing catch or just watching TV. I've discovered that everything doesn't have to be an event when I see him. He really appreciates the simple one-on-one time and someone taking an interest in his everyday life. Yeah, we still go and do special things, like Red Wings games or go Belle Isle, but he gets a much bigger kick out of me spending a couple of hours with him once a week than a whole day with him once a month.

BTW, congrats on becoming a mentor. It can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 534
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitjets.org/

Detroit Jets (Youth) Track and Field Practice: Weeknights at Mackenzie High School (Wyoming Avenue, between W. Chicago and Joy Road).

Let me know if you are interested; I can fetch specific information & pass it along to you

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.