Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Ravine « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine:

I have had a computer for 12 years. I never bothered to investigate the ins and outs of how to do what ever. I have an ancient copy of Word Perfect that I am glued to, to spew the rhetoric that I do. I also have a copy of MS Word 2000 that I have never bothered to open.
Now my problem is this. I would like to reply, privately, to a recent reply you made on one of my posts recently. (A favorable reply by the way.) .
I had recorded three E-mail addresses that were in posts,in the last couple of months, including one that I thought was yours. Two of them cleared but yours bounced back to me.
So, my big question is this: is there some safe, secure and private way to exchange or obtain or give an e-mail address to a Forum member, other than posting it? I have had so much Spam over the years, it reminds me of WWII. That is one of those esoteric jokes!
There are other members that I would like to reply to in private.
Any suggestions?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, I am delighted to hear that you would like to send e-mail to me.
Here's what I'm-a-gonna do: I'm going to hit the "contact" link (seen on our immediate left,) and ask our kindly moderator to send my e-mail address to you. Hopefully, that will not be too much of an imposition on his time, and will work out. If, for any reason, it doesn't work out, I have another idea.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, I don't know (but waiting to see) what advice Ravine will have on this matter. But I will share my way with you.
Set up an email with another service for first emails.
I have an email I use for family (Gmail) and one I use for other purposes (Hotmail).
I would instruct someone to first contact me at Hotmail with a subject heading I would be looking for, I would then look for that mail and then forward my real email address to them. Anything else that shows up in that mail (Hotmail) I can just delete with the satisfaction that it is just junk.

My Gmail stays amazingly clean, so far?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4885
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could use GNU Privacy Guard to encrypt it but that seems like overkill.

I took a screenshot of my email address and posted it as an image so the bots couldn't harvest it.

Ravine's suggestion is probably best for this.

Ravine

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, I went ahead and did what I said I would do. I'm pretty sure it will work out. Let's give Lowell a chance to sift through his messages, and maybe by tomorrow at this time, we'll be all set.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy E-mail!
as Robin might have said to Batman. I am constantly amazed at the electronic avenues open to us.
O. K. Let us see if Ravine's idea works out.
Jmaz: "bots"? means what?
Ragtoplover59: I just bust out laughing at your user name. My first 'ragtop' was a 46 Pontiac and then a 52 Cadillac. I had a chance to buy a 59 Cadillac ragtop and I passed on it. That was another of my not so good investments. Today's mini ragtops leave me cold.
My motive for sending an e-mail to certain people is that sometimes I read other postings and I like to make a certain statement to that individual only, instead of to the post at large.
If I get an e-mail from someone, they will get mine when I respond.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4887
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spambots are computer programs that find email addresses on the web so spam can be sent there. They look for the "@" symbol.

Here's the Wikipedia article about it: Spambot.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 975
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The solution provided by Ragtoplover59 has worked very well for me over the years. I have a couple of "utility" email accounts for just this type purpose. As Ragtoplover59 described, in the utility email accounts, "white-list" for the senders (email addresses) cared about. Only those with the "key" (proper email address) make into my in-box. All other senders (email addresses) get filtered into the junk or spam folder with an automated filter.

BTW, the quantity of junk or spam received in the utility accounts will grow rather large, but no-harm, no-foul. You simply ignore it (never even open it).

Jimaz

Post Number: 4888
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, a temporary Gmail address works well too.

Some here have hypothesized that Ccbatson is a 'bot (a robot) because of his (how can I put this delicately) conspicuously unenlightened questions. This all centers on the fascinating problem of the Turing test.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you made the connections you were looking for, Ravine & Tponetom ?
Everyone knows of the other site in town that keeps a watchful eye on things here at DetYes. This problem and my post above made it over there for discussion, Just goes to show you that anything you post is fair game to other people, so things you want kept private (email's or Phone #'s for example) need to be handled in other ways.
No emails were compromised in this post, but motive's maybe were lol
I was busted for having one for my wife (gmail) and one for Personal ads (Hotmail), A weg came over my face on that one! props to WF
But "S" said right after
"Just set up another Gmail account for your other purposes, moron. Hotmail is crap"
well Duh!
why did he think I was just using it to buffer my real mail account? I guess he needs to reread how I said I used it, I just get what I want and S"crap" the rest.

Ravine

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It all worked out fine, thanks to Lowell, who was kind enough to take the time to facilitate the connection.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.