Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Middle aged white guys on Detroit yes who remember the city when it was nice and we went to this « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

store on six mile to buy candy with our chore money but our parents called it McNichols and my neighbor had a Buick, he called it "Barney" and it was green and he owned a Pure 66 gas station and they used to give away funnels and we used to shag cars in the winter until Tim McIntyre slid under Barney and died and we played baseball in the park next to the chrome plating plant.

and then we moved to the suburbs.

(Message edited by 56packman on March 22, 2008)

(Message edited by 56packman on March 22, 2008)

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That story sounds like you have been drinking a 6 pack man.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooh, I remember Tim! I didn't know him well, but I used to hang out with his brother sometimes. I lived across the street and three doors down (south), and we had a black lab and a Pontiac, I don't know if you remember me? If "Barney" was next door to you, you must be F.G.? Or maybe L.T. Do you know what happened to the family that lived in that big white house on the corner? I think they moved in '78 or '79...I haven't thought about the old neighborhood in years...out here in Arizona, people ask me about Detroit, and I just tell them it's a great place to be from...I would never live anywhere near there now, though! Even Ohio is too close for comfort.
Did you ever go to that place that sold vacuum cleaners? It was pretty close to the candy store, I think. Many fond memories of that place...my mom would always send me down there with a quarter and tell me to buy vacuum cleaner bags whenever we ran out. The owner always greeted me with a smile, and got a quarter's worth of bags off the shelf before I was even in the door! Nobody has service like that anymore.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman
Was your Buick a Special, a Super, a Roadmaster or a Century?
Your "chore money" made me smile.
When I did my chores, I got to eat supper.
Just kidding, in a way.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since mid fifties Buicks have been brought up, here's the trunk emblem from my brother's 56 Super, that was two tone green.

(I was going to submit a "Where da white wimmen at, on DYes?", but this thread will suffice.)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5764
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dangit, I don't belong in the Black thread, the Young thread, or the Middle-aged thread. I feel so excluded.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge:
How do you think I feel? I am looking for the guy named "Patrick" who says he is 96. Maybe he will adopt me.
Hey! Maybe we could start a 'Dinosaur' thread?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in!
Maybe for once I could be the youngest one, in THAT group.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7994
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick likes peeing on historic buildings and lying about his age. :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't pee on my building and tell me it's raining. With apologies to Judge Judy.

I like the 'dinosaur' thread idea.

Ravine

Post Number: 2100
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, you can be the (retired) pleisosaurus.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6216
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Jewish, white guys? It says "Race: Hebrew" on jjaba's father's Certificate of Citizenship. "Complexion: dark." "Former Nationality: Russian."

Perhaps the maker of this thread can grant permsiion to chime in. jjaba was born in Detroit, 1941. Does he qualify as "Middle Aged.?"

jjaba, Proudly born in Women's Hospital.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't be, Ravine; I can't spell plieos...plosiero....uh...piel oranus....no...plasei.....well , that big lizard.

Ravine

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, Ray, we'll just shorten it to (retired) coposaurus.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awright, that one I got. Only it's CAPITAL Coposaurus.

Ravine

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K.! Fair enough.

Paleontological rumor has it that the pleisosaurus had flat feet, or so I'm told.

Moving to Las Vegas to avoid another Ice Age was a pretty slick maneuver, too, pal.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, as long as you don't mix that up with coprolite, which is fossilized dung.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2911
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, just mix it up with Cuprus, from the Latin from Copper, which I was. In another life.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6218
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray and jjaba, old fossils, old Detroit Times newsboys.

jjaba on the Westside.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5294
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can piss the name Jams on any wall easily! Now, the name Kwame would be tricky with the K and all.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6220
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, almost 8,000 quality posts. Amazing.
Impressive, Centurian to the eighth power.

Don't feel badly Patrick, jjaba's rabbi cut on an angle, so now a lifetime of pissing on my shoes.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a dusty history book that says that when Cadillac waded ashore in Detroit he was met by jjaba who told him not to worry. The local tyrannosaurus was not only friendly, but that Ray36 feed him 5 times a day to curb his appetite.
Cadillac settled in an area that is now Conner/Warren as he was told that there was a syntarsus roaming on the west side, and the local Montgomery Wards store kept rather erratic hours anyway. The east side offered much more to do.
So we do know who the old-timers are on this Forum. I learn a lot from these dudes just about every time I read a new post.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6244
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll learn more here than you ever got from the Detroit Shopping News.

jjaba, Delivering Antoine dela Mothe Cadilac his new Cadillac.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.