Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Bulk trash pick up « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to my upcoming move to Germany, I will have to dispose of some large items, such as a couch. Is there a scheduled bulk trash pick up in Detroit, like every first Monday of the month or something, where you can just leave your stuff at the curb? What's the procedure? I don't want to be "ghetto" and just throw my stuff out as it seems custom way too often around here. What other ways are there to dispose of old furniture and household items?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7939
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto_butterfly,
I might have need of a new "scratching post" as the cats now hide in the back of my couch through the hole they made.

Maybe I can help you out?

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bulk trash pick-up only occurs 4 times a year...the last one was @ christmas time. The next one is in May sometime I believe. And they don't pick up everything either. Unfortunately, your only options it's sounding like are either take it to the dump yourself, try to sell it, or dispose of it the "ghetto" way as you described...it really is a sad state of affairs that waste services were cut so badly you have no other option but to litter...it's even worse since the snow has melted that you can see how extreme the trash problem has gotten in most areas...

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, you don't want THAT couch in your living room. It's old and ratty (and smells) and has been sitting in my spare bedroom only because I didn't know how to dispose of it. My current couch will go with me. I will have some other items to sell/give away however, when the time comes. Stay tuned.

As to the disposal of the stuff I want to throw away, I still don't know what to do (sigh). Maybe the "ghetto" disposal will be my only option, especially since I don't have a vehicle big enough to load it into. Although the time frame of the next bulk pick up as Monahan mentioned might help.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not donate it to Goodwill or Disabled Vets or Salvation Army? Some of those charities will pick up large items.

Heck, around here if there is a piece of furniture put out on the curb, it's usually gone quick.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ghetto,
If you have a hitch on your auto I have a small trailer that you can use to take it to the dump.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.