Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » PARTY for a Good Cause Full-Moon Friday, March 21st « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11835
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come one, come all...everyone is welcome to Jean Wilson's Woodbridge home for a fundraiser to boost the coffers of the fledgling United Peace Relief-Detroit. Jean and Kate Devlin have started this organization for response to local emergencies in ways national aid groups and federal monstrosities simply cannot.

We're ragtag, but dedicated...and we've already got our first retired schoolbus awaiting outfitting for warming, feeding, and comforting those who suffer calamity...not unlike the Forest Arms fire that sparked this fire in these great women.

The stories out of New Orleans immediately after Katrina and the years following are simply stunning..and after seeing the initial outpouring of individuals willing to put up their talents, ability, time, and money and the movement we've had in the first four weeks proves to me that there is something positively happening in our city, too.

If you wish to have a fantastic time listening to great live music...both Audra Kubat and Blair will be performing...or hear the spoken-word poetic power of Tuka (and you'd BETTER be solidly seated when Blair starts his, too!)...or simply want to sample some of Jean's amazing soup creations...or even just want to hang out with some cool conversationalists, some of the cream of Detroit's young crop IMHO...you owe it to yourself to drop into the big, busy house on the corner of Willis and Lincoln (one street EAST of Trumbull between Mack/MLK and Warren) THIS Friday night.

The suggested door donation is $10, but we will not turn anyone away. All are welcome...this is about community. Come join us!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7904
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ vol/606189249.html

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7908
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that don't like to C&P:

http://unitedpeacerelief.org/

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4156
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a local website?

edited to say I read a little farther down. Are you affiliating with other local groups yet? For instance Michigan Coalition for Human Rights, or Peace Action?

Good work, guys.

(Message edited by oldredfordette on March 19, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 11870
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette,

We've got a MySpace page so far, and are working out the rest.

Jean and Kate have been working around town for years and years...and know many of the people that I might recognize by face but not name.

The overall vision of UPR includes helping network with the existing local groups, and fill in the gaps of what they cannot provide as well as support THEM in any way we can.

Actually, we know the same night is the Food Not Bombs party, and are recommending that those torn between the two come early to the house for dinner and then boogie over to...I think the Old Miami?...for their fun.

I'll update this if I find I'm wrong on their location.

Cheers

Gannon

Post Number: 11871
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link to that MySpace page!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4157
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work Fridays otherwise I'd be there. I shall monitor closely!

Direct action gets the goods, as the Wobblies say.

Gannon

Post Number: 11876
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Confirmed that the Food Not Bombs party IS at the Old Miami this coming Friday, the 21st, too.

Cheers, hope to see some of you here or there!

Gannon

Post Number: 11904
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP, this is TONIGHT!

Hope to see some of you there.

If you don't know Blair yet, this guy is fucking fantastic...both with his poetry/spoken word AND his music. Audra playing in her comfort zone is a wonder to behold, as well.

Come behold them and support a great new grassroots organization that will be making a difference!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.