Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Nostalgia, Tponetom. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 270
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nostalgia, Tponetom

With a tip o’ me hat to, ‘Histeric.’ and his/her? post on ‘Reclaim the City of Detroit.’
(That would be on the DD Channel.)
Recently, I sent an e-mail to a friend. I included a statement that I should have elaborated on.
The statement:
“Our tomorrows are our truncated yesterdays, trimming the excess and exposing only the heart of life.”
I was thinking that only by our own individual experiences , we would be able to edit, pro or con, our present problems, and benefit from our attitudes in the past.
Nostalgia is an emotional collection that we keep, usually to ourselves. Some of us are reluctant to publicize its contents.
My “Going to the Dogs,” post, seemed to be dying a slow but sure death, with little comment during the next two weeks. Then the floodgates opened a little. People began reminiscing about their dogs, past, present and maybe future. The unabashed sentiments came smiling through.
Perhaps it is a catharsis for some of us to stand up and proclaim to the world, “Yes, I am a FRIED LIVER junky and I don’t care who knows it!’ It worked for me. With onions, of course.
I think there are some people who are not the least bit interested in nostalgia. I used to be one of those people. I will make a suggestion. Keep track, in your memory, of all the good things that have happened to you in your young life. It may help to exorcize some of the bad ones, later on.
For Peggy and myself, it has been a great comfort to reminisce about those “good ole days.” (Not all of them were great.) It certainly trumps watching endless replays of Law and Order.
Physically we are no longer able to perform acts of derring-do.
Earlier, I had posted a story about how I tipped over my fishing boat and Peggy had to come out and fetch me back to dry land. I told her about posting the story for all the ‘world’ to read it.
Her reply was: “Well, if that had happened today, I would only be able to wave “good-bye” to you and wish you lots of luck.”
(That’s my Babe!)

Epilogue: I have not been entirely forthcoming about my age, which I have pronounced as being 79. The truth of the matter is, I am.....26! (Celsius)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, young people talk of the future because they have no past, Tp. And I won't go on to quote the second part of that line, either. But I would wish for young folks to quiz their parents and grandparents about their family history....that gets SO fascinating!

I got into genealogy about ten years back. Fortunately, I had the names of my grandparents and great grandparents inscribed in my "baby book", as well as their photographs. So I had a good start. Knew nothing of their vitals, though. Anyway, the trail has led me all over the country, through military service in all our wars; through a dozen religious affiliations; through immigration from England, Ireland, and Germany; and even learning that one of my 8th great grandparents arrived in 1620 on the Mayflower.

I've learned that I have a number of famous cousins. John Adams; his son, John Quincy Adams;
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow; Orson Welles; Dan Quayle; and even Marilyn Monroe. Although I've found no relation to the English Throne to this date, I will in the future, as Diana was an 8th cousin twice removed. Therefore, when William ascends some day, I can say, "Oh, yes, my cuz, the King of England." Ho, hum.

I've posted some of the ancient letters I've accumulated, and some documents. Wills, deeds, land records, death certificates, marriage licenses, newspaper clippings and obituaries. All shed insight into the lives of my ancestors, rather than just the usual birth and death dates.

My travels in search of knowledge have taken me to, well, Detroit, of course, but also Ohio, Connecticut, Maryland, Kansas, Oklahoma, California, Colorado, and Utah. Yup, turns out Great great great grandma Elizabeth Beidler Downing turned Mormon back in the days when the LDS was still in Nauvoo, before the death of Joseph Smith. Only her third of six children did not continue in that faith, and he was my gt gt grandfather, otherwise I might be in Salt Lake City today myself. LOL

So youngsters....see if you can't get this bug for yourselves. Check with those ancestors still around today and learn what you can, then take it from there. One caveat: my God, it's addictive.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Tp - where's your story about tipping over your fishing boat? I've searched the archives and can't locate it. That's a gem of yours that I've missed. Hope you have it saved and can repost. Sounds like it would be an interesting read.

To add to the advice given by Ray to the youngsters...any photos your relatives have, ask them to identify the people in them, where, and approximately when they were taken. I've been going through that with my mom and dad and writing on the back of the pictures in pencil any information they can remember. All of that will become very useful to you and your descendants. I wish I would have gone through that process when my grandparents were still alive.

And while I'm on the subject of advice to the youngsters. Don't be so wrapped up in your lives that you can't take the time to ask your elders these questions. You don't know how pleased they will be that you show interest in getting to know something about their past.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie:
I will re-post the 'fishing' story in two parts this afternoon Look for the existing "Paging Eriedearie" post.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it buddy!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936-
I'm only going from "family" tales, but can we be cousins 300(or so),times removed?
Only kidding about the "300".
But I've heard the same story from my Mom.
The Adam's are now on HBO.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2885
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we likely are cuz's, Bigb23...wouldn't be 300 times removed, though. The "times removed" indicates the difference in the number of generations from the common ancestor, and as we are contemporaries, it would be "once removed" at best -- if that. But the cousinship could be as much as 10th cousin.

Yes, John Adams was quite a person; quite a president. Far better than his son, John Quincy Adams, who was somewhat of a grouch from what I've learned. My wife says I have his genes.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 196
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ray, I got into my genealogy about six months ago. I have successfully gone back to 1825 the birth year of my gt gt gt grandfather. I am very addicted and have lost a girlfriend over it. My plan is to travel to a few states to get a better look at records and also to find some grave sites.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's addictive, Cub. Sorry about the lost girlfriend, but stuff happens, I guess. I've had just as much fun tracing my wife's family history as well as my own....too bad you didn't offer to look hers up. Or, maybe you did and that's why.....well, never mind. :-)

What computer program are you using to enter your records? I use Ancestry Quest, although it's not the most popular. Works for me, tho.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.