Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Hey, Sstashmoo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently won a Paul LaMarre Jr. print of the S/S Tashmoo. Have you seen it? It looks gorgeous online. Can’t wait to see it in real life! http://www.greatlakesmarineart .com/feature.html

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a grand old steamer. Thats a nice print too, I may get one of those.

I love the account of the great race between the Tashmoo and City of Erie.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I have it?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. :-)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul is a gifted artist. I have his Heron Bay and the Edna G/R.Lindabury prints.
His John Brown (Liberty Ship) will be my next acquisition. I was on that trip depicted in the painting when the Brown left from Windsor and took us out to Lake St. Clair for a very moving ceremony honoring the Merchant Seaman. My guest that day was a friend who had served on a Liberty which was torpedoed by a U-boat and sunk in the Indian Ocean. He spent three weeks in a lifeboat before being rescued. Several shipmates did not make it.
Bill Hoey's tug was running our interference and kept us in line. I am sure Paul was aboard.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6205
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful work. Was this the line that ferried passengers from Chicago to South Haven, before WWII?

jjaba.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Tashmoo ever sailed Lake Michigan waters. However, the Goodrich Transit Company ran their "Big White Flyer", S.S. Roosevelt, on the Chicago to South Haven Route.
The Roosevelt even had a try on the Detroit to Boblo Island run, and Cleveland to Cedar Pointe.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6207
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1933, jjaba's mother sailed from Chicago to South Haven for a weekend. There, she met a Dapper Dan from Detroit who had driven over in his very own car.
Mother and father were married in Chicago a year later in 1934.

Supposedly, 1,500 passengers would sail on Fridays from Chicago and return Sunday nights from South Haven. It was a huge business. Lined up at the South Haven dock were hotel owners and drivers ready to take luggage and sell rooms to passengers without firm plans. It was a busy scene.

Then, after WWII, Jews were allowed to travel more freely, and the Jewish resort towns had to re-invent themselves. The era of the lake steamers gave way to airplanes, the Interstates, improved automobiles, second homes, time shares, and more distant vacations.

jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.