Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Dumb Question Alert but Please Help :-) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a furnace filter, just an average damn filter and I can't figure out where to find one here in Detroit. When I was living in Ann Arbor, I would normally go to Target or Meijer but I don't feel like schlepping all that way if it isn't necessary. I've been to a hardware store and Family Dollar so far with no luck.

Suggestions, please? TIA

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3638
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get mine at ACO out here in the burbs. I see they have a store in the city.

http://www.acohardware.com/851 .html?m8:cat=%2FDetroit

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ACO for me, too. Where in Detroit are you?

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yikes, I forgot to include that I live off Trumbull, near Woodbridge. The hardware store I stopped at was Bright's, on Michigan Avenue, only because I happened to be in the vicinity. My next stop would have been Brooks Lumber, across from the old Tiger stadium - but they were closed. Thanks for the rec - ACO is still a little further than I'd like to drive but it's a possibility. :-)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooks should have it, they are an Ace Hardware location. There is another on McGraw called Pioneer Sales.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 564
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third Avenue Hardware might be another location to look into.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7831
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busy Bee, Gratiot and Russell or Tru-Value further north on Gratiot.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, you beat me to it!

When I lived in Detroit, not only was Busy Bee the closest, but also the best.

Great service, and a good selection. Not to mention, close proximity to Rafal Spice in the Market :-)

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much, all of you who responded! I'm going to head over to Busy Bee tomorrow - anything to justify a visit to Eastern Market!

You know, I really love this city but I'm so lost half the time when it comes to finding ordinary things. I'm so used to "one stop shopping" at big chain type stores that basically carry everything you need. Since I barely know my way around Detroit still, it really takes some resourcefulness to find certain things. I'm thrilled when I discover new places, though. Thanks to this forum, I recently discovered Avalon bakery. I feel so stupid - I was living mere blocks from the place and had no idea it was there. I wish there was a city directory of businesses with a little bit of info about each place and the owner - tall order, of course, since there are so many little, unique places tucked away here & there.

Still a girl can dream. ;)

Thanks again - this forum is a wonderful resource, as always!

Rel

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI- Congrats to Avalon Bakery! They will be moving to a huge new facility on Woodward (at Canfield?) soon. A tip of my hat to their commitment to the City.

I know what you mean, Tkierpiec. It took me a while to learn my 'shopping sources' in the City, but that's the case no matter where you move.

One my the bittersweet observations about leaving the City: Sometimes I had a difficult time finding certain necessities. But when I did find a great source for a great product in Detroit, I realized I couldn't find stuff like that out in the suburbs. I still regularly take my suburban friends to the City for shopping trips, and they are amazed at great food/goods/personal service they can only get by going off the beaten path.

You mentioned identifying owners of businesses, by the way. That's an interesting point to bring up, because I am reminded that despite the fact Detroit doesn't have as many chain stores/restaurants, the City has an advantage when it comes to sole-proprietor businesses. There is something to be said for supporting non-chain, locally-owned businesses. Keep your $ in your neighborhood, not a corporate-owned headquarters in Des Moines Iowa (nothing against Iowa ;) )

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

avalon will be moving to the ground floor of 55 west canfield, a half block in from woodward. i wouldn't expect the move to come soon tho.

Rel

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard next month, according to them. But I could be wrong.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 4:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec,

Actually, that is a little pet project I've been working on. My soon-to-be wife loves American Idol, and I don't. So my new thing is to be there, but not really. While she's watching Idol I've been working on this Map.

I just started it last month, so it is far from finished.

Only the West CBD is done, but It will eventually show more locations, and also include who the tenet is.

Here:

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rp6v82b719&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646166&encType=1#JnE 9Y2wuRG93bnRvd24rRGV0cm9pdCtCd WlsZGluZytHdWlkZSU3ZXNzdC4wJTd lcGcuMSZiYj00Mi4zMzM1ODAxMDMzO TYzJTdlLTgzLjA0NjQzNzExNjAwOTE lN2U0Mi4zMzA1NzExOTI2ODE3JTdlL TgzLjA0ODk4ODMxMjE4MjI=

And...

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&cp=r1rp6v82b719&style= o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-10 00&scene=5646166&encType=1#JnE 9Y2wuRG93bnRvd24rRGV0cm9pdCtCd WlsZGluZytHdWlkZSU3ZXNzdC4wJTd lcGcuMSZiYj00Mi4zMzM1ODAxMDMzO TYzJTdlLTgzLjA0NjQzNzExNjAwOTE lN2U0Mi4zMzA1NzExOTI2ODE3JTdlL TgzLjA0ODk4ODMxMjE4MjI=

If anyone has corrections you can E-mail me at Sean_Of_Detroit@Yahoo.com

PS: Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome!

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on March 13, 2008)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just getting a What? Where? page with those links.

In the early 70s there was a series of Metro Detroit Guides, 400-500 page paperbacks full of little blurbs and pix. I've been thinking it's time for a new one. It will be lots of fun to put it together.

Contents include:
Calendar
Detroit History
Renaissance, about the rebuilding and all the new things
Restaurants
Bars
Music
Shops and Stops
Food and Drink
Cinema
Arts and Galleries
Theatre
Dance
Women
Ethnic
Written Word, books and bookstores
Media
Coping and Surviving
Accommodations
Trips and Tours
Course (Education)
Sports
Windsor
A to Z wrap-up

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.