Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Caldogven, Tponetom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that some people get tired and bored with my aphorisms. (Or adages?)
The Past is Prologue!
Everything that goes around comes around!
Life is one big circle!
“Oh yes, that reminds me of a story,,,,,,,,,,,,,or a million stories.”

From Detroit Emanations, Tponetom
The post from Caldogven (# 162)

“My parents were buying our house from a guy who may have been a relative of Angelo's. He had a small office in the store. The payments were fifty five dollars a month.”

My story to Cal:
The Casinelli family lived on McClellan ˝ block south of E. Warren.
My family lived on McClellan 3 doors north of Warren.
Louis was about 6 years older than me. We were friendly neighbors but not part of the same circle.
Louis became a Real Estate Broker. He had married Angelo’s daughter. He had to be the one that had an ‘office’ in the grocery store.
In the early (ca.) Fifties, Louis opened a store front office on Harper, just east of Connors. I think the DBA was, “Home Owners Realty Co..”
He had the listing on our future home on Evanston and we bought it, through him, in 1959.
Louis and his family lived on Camden directly behind our house. His three sons and our son were friends.
In 1965, Peggy and I decided to move to California and Louis was our selling agent and he made a quick sale for which we were very happy.
When we vacated California and came back to Detroit, we bought our house on Lannoo in 1967.
We left Detroit in 1973 to homestead our property in the Upper Peninsula.
We had not seen Louis since 1965.
My memory dims when bad things happen. I think it was 1977, give or take a year. I was in a barber shop and just happened to pick up a Detroit newspaper. The story jumped out at me like an explosion.
“Real Estate Broker, murdered by irate home buyer!”
According to the story, Louis had sold the man a house and the man was not happy with it after buying it. So, with a gun, he tracked Louis to a house that Louis was showing to another buyer. Louis saw the man coming with a gun in his hand and he ran out of the house through the back door and started running down the alley. The man chased after him and shot him in the back, killing him.
There were follow up stories later that the man had mental problems and/or, whatever. I never did find out the final disposition of the case.
(Pick out an aphorism from above?)

(Now, I am thinking of ‘Jams.’)

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom:
Home Owners, that's it, I couldn't recall his name. What a way to go, trying to make a living! I moved to California in 1977. I'm sure I would have remembered him if I saw the article.
Did you know the Provensano's from Mc Clellan?

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cal:
Nativity Parish was predominantly Italian. I am familiar with most Italian names, including Provensano, but no, I had no personal relationship with them.
Paonessa (McClellan) and Minnella, (Cooper)
and Styles, (McClellan) are the 3 remnants of the dirty dozen, beside me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.