Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paws for a Cause-March 1st « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11728
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liz and her crew at Canine-to-Five doggie daycare, on Cass just south of Martin Luther King/Mack Avenue, are donating the proceeds from this Saturday's dogpark to help fund the newly-formed Detroit chapter of United Peace Relief.

I met Kate Devlin and Jean Wilson last year, and have heard some amazing stories of their multiple trips down to New Orleans working with this group...helping those who fall through the cracks of the national aid groups...as well as covering areas not even imagined by traditional and governmental agencies.

These women...and this group...are the real deal, and I've chosen to help them in any and every way possible to get this chapter founded in our fair city.

Obviously Liz feels the same...major kudos for her idea for this doggie party fundraiser.

Please come out with your pup(s), have a good time, and give a leg up...I mean a boost...to this organization. Help us get ready to respond to the next disaster, like that Forest Arms fire that displaced SO many people...or the next weather-related tragedy...or worse.

Hopefully some of you heard Craggy's interview with them this past Monday morning (2/25) on DetroitTODAY on WDET...they have an MP3 download of the entire show available on their site, the interview is at the top of the second hour.

Cheers!

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there a Paypal or other spot where we can donate if we can't attend the fundraiser?

Gannon

Post Number: 11730
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The national site has a page for electronic and physical donations, and has Paypal. Please mention that it is for the new Detroit chapter, and it will get to us 100%.

From what I understand, this is a totally volunteer organization, with ZERO administration costs.

Thank you, sincerely.

Cheers!

Gannon

Post Number: 11731
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just stumbled upon the In Memorium page on the national site, and read the first two entries.

These are the types of people we'll be working with, I just read the accounts of the young woman and older fellow who shared their skills in New Orleans, I am floored. Over and beyond the call of duty, and now they're both gone.

We had a roomful of people ALREADY at Jean's house for only our second meeting...all eager to join in our readiness campaign. During introductions, we spoke of our abilities, talents, gifts, and our desire to help...it was simply amazing to hear.

In ONLY two meetings, I already feel...momentum. It is a little daunting to be in the midst of such great people who've done so many things for the other living beings in their life experience. (and a few quiet ones who will surely be our strongest heroes when the time comes!)

Gannon

Post Number: 11732
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There WILL be other fun fundraisers, soon, too.

One at Jean's house in Woodbridge on the full moon Friday next month, the 21st, and a future one probably behind the Old Miami when the weather breaks!

Gannon

Post Number: 11744
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.