Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Recs for Moving to the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toeknowknee
Username: Toeknowknee

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some friends of mine are moving to this area from Chicago because one of them has been offered a teaching position at UofM Dearborn. They have asked me for advice in terms of what areas they should think about moving to and so that is what I ask of you all now. Coming from Macomb County I hardly make it past downtown, midtown, new center, and the mcnichols/livernois area....they want to be on the west side for commuting to work and are much more suburbian-slanted because of their expectations of Detroit. Any advice for west side suburbs that are not a horribly boring sea of homes and miejer buildings? or areas in the city that defy expectations? slightly north like southfield? what about Dearborn itself?

I appreciate any suggestions!

Edit: In terms of affordability they are in their late 20s and this will be his first "real" job as he just finished his phD program (hello loan payments) and I think she is in lower level management. So they are not rich, not poor. I would say they are ok-off, no kids, one cat, and student loans.

(Message edited by toeknowknee on February 26, 2008)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3576
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any advice for west side suburbs that are not a horribly boring sea of homes and miejer buildings?

Northville and Plymouth still have old timey looking downtowns and nice vintage homes.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I definitely recommend Plymouth (biased?), but a lot could be had for a little all over the metro area right about now. Dearborn is also an option.

Detroit has a ton of opportunity as well. But you stated that they prefer a "suburban" type setting and Detroit is not that!

Allen Park, Melvindale and other local cities are affordable options.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of us surrounded by A)cheesy little markets where the meat section smells funny, and B)Kroger, wouldn't terribly mind seeing a horrible Meijer store rise up in our near landscape.
Right at Plymouth Road & the Southfield Freeway would be nice; perhaps Super-Church will surrender their property?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3996
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are bargains galore in the downriver suburbs, acres of lovely little brick homes for good prices.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

melvindale yuck. Why not west dearborn. nice homes and decent attempt at a little downtown. Plus it would be close to the university.

Pam

Post Number: 3579
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

or areas in the city that defy expectations?

Palmer Woods, Indian Village, Lafayette Park.

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm I would say Indian Village is out of their price range... is Palmer Woods similar? I have heard good things about that area but again I know nothing about it. Maybe I will have to pool my gas money and take a westside driving tour on their behalf.

In terms of affordability they are in their late 20s and this will be his first "real" job as he just finished his phD program (hello loan payments) and she is in lower level management.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Woods is very expensive. Beautiful, but as pricey as Indian Village.

Nothing wrong with Southgate and Taylor.

Pam

Post Number: 3583
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Palmer Woods is very expensive. Beautiful, but as pricey as Indian Village

I guess some idea of the price range they are in would help. Toe mentioned "areas that defy expectations" though, so those areas came to mind.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like these folks would do well to work with a good Realtor who specializes in out of state transfers.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11714
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

West Dearborn has some very quaint and affordable bungaloes, and the neighborhoods are peaceful, safe, and as long as they don't get too far from Michigan Avenue...they can enjoy a walkable nightlife and some of the best markets in the area.

Plus, his commute would be miniscule...no need to go any further west than that. And, the drive to downtown is only twenty minutes or less!

There are also some great neighborhoods in that weird little piece of Dearborn Heights off of Ann Arbor trail...if they'd rather be near Detroit's best little-known secret, Hines Park.

If they are long-distance bikers, joggers, or walkers, being close to the park might make up for a little drive for entertainment and food. Round trip on the parkway is easily twenty six miles to Northville and back!

Anything for a five-minute commute in this age of rising gasoline prices...heck, they could get away with having ONE car.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

come on over to east dearborn!

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 722
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Detroit is absolutely awesome especially for twenty-somethings without kids. It's also affordable compared to other downtowns. Are they looking to buy or rent? Did they want a house or would an apartment work?

I would personally give them a tour of the many wonderful things that Downtown Detroit has to offer, and even if they don't move down here they'll definitely be excited about moving to Metro Detroit.
Living downtown you can:
Walk to 126 bars and restaurants in without crossing a freeway.
Walk to over 13,000 theater seats within just a few block radius.
Walk to Tigers, Lions and Red Wings Games
Walk to the 4th Best Public Square in North America in Campus Martius Park with its free concerts at lunchtime in the summer and other major festivals.
Walk to the beautiful RiverWalk
And do all that walking past neighbors and small business and doing it all safely with Downtown Detroit having 37% less crime than the national average

Email me at jpierce @ insidedetroit.org for more info or a tour for your friends.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no, no Jeanette. You're delusional. None of those things exist in Downtown Detroit and even if they did, they wouldn't be in town for more than five minutes before they were mugged or killed.

The people have already made up their minds to avoid the city, so they are clearly milktoast - how 'bout Westland? Garden City is nice, too.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A one car family should live as close to campus as posssible. A 10 minute walk.

Since he has the gig at UofM Dearborn, he will be an adjunct professor with no long-term guarantee of employment, so they should rent an upper flat and save as much money as possible.

If they live somewhere which will require them to own two cars will increase their monthly expenses by $500 in gas, maintenance, insurance and an extra car payment.

If he is a manly man, like Gannon, biking to school will make him more so; if he's a hipster he can get a Vespa.

There is an apartment complex within walking distance of the U of M, Dearborn The Lincoln at Fairlane apartment community

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great advice everyone. I did encourage him to ask his soon-to-be colleagues where they live and what their commutes are like just to get an idea of some different possibilities. Anything will probably be better than a Chicago commute but there is still a big difference in the Detroit area depending on what direction you are commuting from (and what freeways you will be forced to take).

Your point Gnome, about no long-term guarantee of employment is important. I assume they are looking to rent because of that and because they currently have no plans to settle here long term.

And yes I am still going to push the positives of downtown Detroit despite their reservations. An official tour is a great idea Harmonie... even if they don't pop-a-residential-squat downtown it would still be worth it.

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm it seems jpierce@insidedetroit.org isn't working for me. I keep getting the "undeliverable" message.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Toe,

I've been getting emails all day, so I'm not sure what the problem is. You can also try info@insidedetroit.org

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.