Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Torn tendon surgury? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone had torn tendon shoulder surgury? How much pain is there?

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am no expert. But many in my family have had shoulder surgeries, tendon surgeries, ligament surgeries, and orthopedic surgeries.

What I can say with confidence is:

1. The shoulder is a complicated joint. Choose a really, really good surgeon.

2. There will be pain, and do not skimp on pain meds. A week or two of Oxycontin and/or Vicodin will not be a problem for most people.

3. Do your physical therapy exercises at home. Do what you are instructed, as often as you are instructed. No cheating! The result could be lifelong stiffness.

Pgn421

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Crystal

Crystal

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot overstate how important it is to control pain. I know four or five people who were determined to "tough it out" and take as little pain medication as possible. The result was too much pain to do the physical therapy adequately, and the result of that was the aforementioned stiffness.

Abuse of prescription painkillers is in the news all the time, and I'm sure it is as big a problem as they say. Legitimate use of painkillers, even narcotics, is not a sign of weakness.

My apologies for preaching. It's just that I have seen the negative, sometimes long term effects of undertreated pain.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im getting surgery on my shoulder too this May, torn rotator cuff, so this stuff is useful.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I aggravated my bicep tendon over the Christmas holiday & have been doing rehab exercises to ease the strain (I think it’s bicep tendonitis). Everything I read said doing rehab exercises 3x a week for 3 to 4 months should allow healing. It’s been almost 2 months, & I’m amazed how much the rehab has helped strengthen the muscles around the sore area. It’s like night & day compared to when the injury first happened.

So don’t skimp on the rehab, & best of good luck to you both, Pgn412 & Mayor_sekou.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had rotator cuff surgery in December 2007 and it's the most painful surgery of five I've had. Most medical professionals will also admit the same. But if you have to have it then here's a few hints which may help:

1. Figure out a way to blow your nose with one hand. Your other arm will be immobilized and this was very frustrating.
2. Stock up on favorite food and prepared meals.
3. Don't skip any pain medications. I had a pain pump to start with followed by Darvocet which I still take in order to get any decent sleep.
4. Get a comfortable chair as you'll be sleeping in one for weeks. Laz-E-Boy had some with vibrate and heat on sale and mine proved to be worth the investment.
5. Buy a pair or two of non-tie shoes you can put on with one arm. I found some inexpensive ones, at Payless Shoe Store, which had velcro fasteners. Also purchase a couple of cheap sweat suits which can come on and off easily. Get some oversize t-shirts which can be cut so you can easily put them on over your arm in a sling.
6. Internet help sites were fine describing the surgery but not much help understanding what comes after.
7. I do physical therapy 2-3X per week and have been told this will be needed at least for four months. DO NOT skip this as your shoulder can freeze/lock and you have to have severe, painful manipulations to loosen it.
8. Have patience with those around you and apologize when you are short with anyone.
9. Healing can be very slow. At eight weeks after surgery I was able to touch my head and pickup a cup of coffee.
10. An occasional shot or two of Jack Daniels helped numb the pain and get to sleep.
11. Your shoulder may become sensitive to changing weather - I know when a low pressure center is approaching by the pain in my shoulder.
12. I was told that I'd have about the same mobility after 9-12 months but it could take 18-24 months to regain the level of strength in both shoulders.

If you have specific questions, please contact me at:

redvetred@comcast.net

I'll try to answer. Best of luck to all facing this surgery and, yes, at this point, I'd do it again but the first eight weeks after surgery were very, very tough.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not trying to be gross but it can be awkward. If this is your dominate arm practice toilet issues with the other arm. Shaving, wiping, showering etc.

Pgn421

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha, i just had the surgury yesterday. thanks everyone!

Crystal

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, Redvetred.

All good thoughts, the kinds of things that will be discussed at pre-op. Good job.

(Message edited by crystal on February 22, 2008)

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Red, all that sounds fun.

Pgn421, how was the surgery?

Pgn421

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

surgury went well, now im on a pain punpAnybody ever used one before? im just wondering how the pain will be when im off it?

Redvetred

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421
Glad your surgery went well. I used a Stryker pain pump that was filled to last 2-4 days depending on how often you pressed the "Extra Pain Relief" button. I overdid it and the pump lasted only 2.5 days. After the pump ran out, I used 1-2 Darvocet tablets every 4-6 hours. Pain is relative per person and the amount of surgery required but thank God for drugs!

Pgn421

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have the same pump,whole arm is numb. cant wait till pump is done. hate dragging it around.

Crystal

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, good news that your surgery went well!

Pgn421

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes ! thanks to all of you for all the support!

Crystal

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to check back often! It can be a challenge after the endorphins wear off and the immediate attention wanes.

One of my worst days was about three weeks after surgery for implant of humeral plate. I was doing great with exercises, successfully tapering off the narcotics, and sleeping better. I tried to reach for something, and couldn't.

For no reason, I lost it and cried for about 15 minutes. I think it was mental and physical fatigue, and knowing the rehab was going to be a long haul.

So... if that happens to you, hang in there!

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

humeral plate? Pain pump? None of this sounds fun.

Pgn421

Post Number: 439
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.pain pumps are what they use now.this one has a tube for medication , and a wire that shorted out my shoulder nerve. i cant feel anything. I just hope when i take the wire out of my neck, it will be good!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7675
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,
Wishing you a speedy recovery and looking forward to the day you're back at Vivios and are able to raise a toast with that arm.

Heather also sends her best.

Pgn421

Post Number: 440
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks-jams! Slainte!

Upinthewoods
Username: Upinthewoods

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the time my mother died she had two fake shoulders, two fake knee's and a fake hip. So the following is what I learned about meds from that expierience.

1. The "pain pump" is actually liquid morphine. Used only 2-4 days it will not create withdrawls. You will have a "hangover" that will make you want to sleep for about a day but no wd's. This medication tends to make most dizzy and itchy. Take diphenhydramine for the dizziness and benadryl for the itchys.
2. Post-morphine meds- Darvocet works for some but also make others dizzy and sleepy. It also contains a butt-load of tylenol which is no bueno for your liver. I would personally reccamend either vicoprofen 7.5mg hydrocodone/200mg ibuprofen or norco 10mg hydrocodone/375mg tylenol both of these are far better than vicoden 7.5mg hydrocodone/750mg tylenol.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Pgn421

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

upinthewoods- thanks for the info, im on hydrocodone, and motrin. all is well!

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Pat...I took that one for 3 months don't take too much....call me

Crystal

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thoughts, Upinthewoods

The pharmacist will caution you not to take over 4000 mg Tylenol (acetaminophen) per day.

If you have 7.5 mg hydrocodone/750 mg Tylenol tablets, you can take up to 5 per day.

If you have 10 mg hydrocodone/375mg Tylenol tablets, theoretically you could take more per day because it has less Tylenol per tablet. 10 mg hydrocodone is quite a bit, though, so you probably would not need you can take too many of those.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vandykeandjefferson had the surgery... i'll ask him to post here... - andy

Pgn421

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the pain pump worked fine. its been 6 days since surgury.just had staples taken out.everything is going well.Thanks everyone for the support.

Jams

Post Number: 7731
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're still alive? I assumed your wife had killed you by now.

Damn, she must be getting soft! :-)

Pgn421

Post Number: 450
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha! yes im still alive. the real test starts tommorow. She is going in for torn rotator cuff surgury! Thats both of us !both left arms. i will let you know if i need 2 right handed boxing gloves! Slaintè !

Jams

Post Number: 7732
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes!

Pgn421

Post Number: 451
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams- my torn bicep was from auto accident. Lillys is work related, torn rototor! I need a Vivios bloody mary!

Redvetred

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's now been three months since my rotator cuff surgery. Here's progress:
1. Have 90% mobility in the shoulder operated on.
2. Can touch the top of my head.
3. Physical therapy exercises are done with a one-pound weight and can pick up a cup of coffee with that arm.
4. Cannot lay on that side for more than five minutes.
5. Can still tell when a low pressure center is approaching and today is one of those days.

Pgn421

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my torn bicep tendon repair. Its healing very slowly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.