Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Know of any studios? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shotcaller
Username: Shotcaller

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm staying in Detroit May - August to take my last few classes at Wayne and I need a cheap studio (around $450). I will only have a bike, so I'd like it to be close to campus, corktown, downtown and eastern market. It can be seriously small, I'm not bringing any furniture back with me so I'll have a bike, bed, dresser and table.

Any suggestions? And does anyone know if that building by Campus Martius "The Park" is legit? I was looking at The Leland until a friend told me it used to be the Ramada, for example, so you can see that my memory needs some jogging. I've been living in Brooklyn for the past two years and have only been back to the city once.

If you have landlord numbers, please email bklynight@gmail.com.

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There really is nothing central to the four locations you want to be near. However, a friend of mine had a studio last year that was roughly 300-350 sq. ft. and I'm certain rent was about $1/sq. ft. There's no website for the building but It's at Hancock and Woodward, next to the police station, in front of American Masala restaurant. It's super close to campus and a nice bike ride to eastern market or downtown. Befriend someone with a car on campus and get them to drive you to Corktown.

Shotcaller

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice... As for riding my bike, anything within three miles or so of those places is fine with me. I live in NY so I'm used to not having a car... but fortunately I do know some people there still so maybe they can help me on late nights and rainy days :-)

Shotcaller

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, CMYK... are you a graphic designer? my sister and her friends were C,M,Y, and K for Halloween.

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed. Your sister and her friends sound like my kind of girls. Good luck on the search.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 862
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend is moving out of a cute studio with kitchen and bathroom for $450 a month. It's right across Second from The Bronx, on that side street, next to the laundromat. Can't think of the name of the building. She's moving out today. You might need to sign a lease, though...

I'll try to get you contact info if interested. E-mail me at jeffersonrackstorage@gmail.com.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Town Apartments on First Street in Downtown Detroit have studios available for $450, but I don't know how well kept up and safe that building is. It's a classic 1930's Art Deco apartment building at the corner of Bagley and First.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shot caller, coming back to detroit hey? will i see you drunk dancing around town again?

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This link is pretty good. You can filter by rent or own.

Not hard to find a studio/one bedroom around the DIA/CCS/WSU in the 300-500 range. Of course it will be walk up (3-5 story brick building) but as you have no car, you won't have to worry about auto theft etc.

http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/midtown.php

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.