Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Is Detroit Going To The Dogs? Tponetom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Detroit going to the Dogs? Tponetom

Unfortunately, I don’t think so. A dog’s philosophy could add so much love and comfort and simplicity to our lives, we could do without the frustrations that we burden ourselves with.
1964. Fang Wun came into our lives. Fang was a mongrel. Peggy and I adopted her from a friends litter for the sake of our two children who clamored for a doggie.
After a week or so, the clamor subsided. Peggy became the den mother of Fang Wun.
1965. We left for California. Upon arrival we found out that there was vast discrimination against dogs in our apartment. We sadly gave Fang to a farmer and we hoped that he would lead a long and happy life. A month later, we were told, by the farmer that Fang had been hit by a a car and was killed. That guilt trip still exists.
1967. We had returned to Detroit and bought a home at 4948 Lannoo. Shortly there after we acquired Fang Tu, a half brother of Fang Wun, from the same breeder friend.
1973. December. We left Detroit and migrated to the Upper peninsula. Peggy and I and Fang Tu.
Our daughter was married and our son wanted to buy a sports car so he got a job as a dishwasher. That needs no elaboration.
After relocating to the U. P. I had to travel a lot to work and bring in the where withal. Fang Tu was Peggy’s skin tight companion.
1980. I, and my son, Mike, got a 10 day job at the Marathon Refinery in Melvindale. It was a “turn around” job where you worked 12 hours a day for ten consecutive days. 60 men were hired for the temporary job. The overtime pay was huge! When day 10 ended, we lined up to get our final pay check. Everyone got a check except Mike and myself. I got a hold of our general foreman and asked him why we did not get our payoff. He said that the general manager wanted us to stay on the job and work as steady employees. I was not surprised. Out of the 60, we were the only two that badgered our foreman for another job after finishing one. It was good example of why the unions are failing. The other 58 men were content to stand around and bullshit with one another until their foreman found them. But that is another story.
December. 1980, Mike and I were working 60 hours a week. Mucho overtime. Then on a Saturday night I received a midnight telephone call from our seasonal neighbor, Dolores, in the U. P. She told me that Peggy had driven the four miles from our house to Dolores’s camp and that she was having intense pain in her abdomen. Dolores then drove her the 25 miles to the Manistique Hospital where our Doctor was..
After talking to Dolores, I got dressed and drove to Manistique and I got there Sunday morning about 7:00. Peggy was sedated and resting comfortably. The Doctor told me she had had a gall bladder attack which can be extremely painful.
Upon awakening, her first question was, “Where is Fang? Who is taking care of him? I assured her that Fang was in good hands and that I would see him presently.
The culmination of those events were this. On Tuesday, Peggy’s gall bladder was removed. I stayed with her for three weeks. I had called our son and told him what had happened. I then called the Marathon office and told them of why I was not at work. All they said was, “You stay with your wife and then come back to work when you are ready.”
That is the good part of the story.
While Peggy was recuperating at home from the operation, Fang had been licking his elbows voraciously . Then, one night, Fang was licking all night long. Neither of us could sleep.
In the morning, Peggy looked at his right paw. He had licked the fur and skin down to the bone. With tears in her eyes, she said, “Take him to the vet and put him to sleep.” Peggy was far to frail to go with me. And so I did as we both knew was the only thing to do. I brought him home and buried him in our garden just outside our bedroom window.
For the next eighteen month we forgot about dogs, or tried to. We had a copy of “The Complete Dog Book” which showed pictures of all the different breeds. I opened the book, randomly and saw a picture of a Rottweiler. I told Peggy, “I found our new friend and companion.”
There was a slack period, (read, recession) during 1980 and 1983. No work, no anything. I began researching Rottweilers. I found a breeder, Dr. Evelyn X. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I contacted her and told her we wanted a ‘show dog’ Rottweiler. After talking with her a few times we made the trip to Kalamazoo
Dr. Evelyn had a 200 acre farm and a kennel full of Rottweilers that would knock your sox off. We pulled into the parking area of her home, along side of which, were cyclone fenced enclosures for Rotts. The one we were closest to was a massive male, easily 160 pounds or more who was maniacally trying to chew through the wire fence to get at us. It was scary!
The inside of her lovely home stunk. She had seven Rottweilers living inside the house with her. At this moment I cannot recall the name of the Rott that was trying to get at us when we were outside. However, Dr. Evelyn, volunteered to bring the dog into the house to ‘meet’ (eat?) us? She did just that and the Rott was totally oblivious to us. Dr. Evelyn explained to us that as long as we were in the house with her, that made us totally acceptable to the Rott.
Then Dr. Evelyn brought our $ 600.00, 6 week old bitch out .We wanted a bitch in order to breed her in the future. She might have weighed ten pounds or so but her four paws looked like tennis racquets. She began licking us and we were hers.
A condition of our contract with Dr. Evelyn was to name her with a name starting with ‘T.’ She came from a litter of ten and four of the litter were put down immediately so as to make
sure the remaining six would suckle and survive. The remaining six would all be named with the letter ‘T’ So Dr. Evelyn could keep track of there future accomplishments in dog shows and such.
(Dog Txxx won this and dog Tzzz won that.)
I had already settled on a name for our new adopted love child.
Fang Wun and Fang Tu were pure cupcakes and so I gave them the ferocious name, Fang, hoping strangers might fear them enough not to scare them away.
With our new Rottweiler, I knew he was going to be the protector of Peggy when I was away working and so I thought to myself, “Hmmm, a fierce German Dog needs a fierce Japanese name and then I remembered the challenge of Lt. Fuchida, the leader of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.” His rallying cry of “Tora, Tora, Tora,” was interpreted as meaning, Attack, Attack, Attack!
One of my friends said that was not a very patriotic way to name your dog. I thought about it for awhile and then I thought, no, I never want to forget. It was Tora, lest we forget. This is just the beginning of “Tora.”
Part 2 follows.

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent story!

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outoft, if you don't care for Tom's reminiscences, just don't click on them. You need to know, there is lots in there to enjoy, and there are people who do. Another important teaching is that elders have a reason for being here, to share their learnings from experience that has been their teacher for many years. Chase them away at your loss.

Well, we just got our new dog. We are fostering for two weeks, and at the end will no doubt have to pass some tests to see if we get to keep her. I already really love this dog, so I hope the tests won't kick us out into the land of east of the sun and west of the moon.

She is some kind of miniature and shepherd cross, as she is little and dainty, but has spent most of her time trying to keep the two of us in the same room. Since Mr. Gazheinini has gone to work now, she wore herself out chasing the squirrels outside the windows and is having a nice nap. I foresee in the very near future we are going to have a brisk walk in the icy cold sunshine.

She has her kennel name, Bethany, but it doesn't really fit her. I don't think we can rename her until we are officially approved to adopt her, but will be thinking about it.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on February 28, 2008)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7740
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Gazhekwe,
There are plenty of places on this forum to argue the benefits or the detriments of a "Cheesecake Factory" (or name your favorite chain) in Downtown Detroit.

Tponetom, Ray1936, Eriedearie, etc. have offered us a glimpse into a past Detroit and life beyond the the silly arguments here.

Nostalgia? Much better reading.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 918
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe & Jams - Thank you for your kind words. When I read Outoftown's post last night before I signed off I just couldn't get it out of my head. I thoroughly enjoy the posts that Tp and Ray share with us. Just like yourselves, I would be willing to bet that others on this forum enjoy them too.

With that being said - Tp - I'm looking forward to your 2nd installment! :-)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a dog lover/owner, I'm also anxiously awaiting the next part of Tom's story.

Outoftown, you just don't get it. Just move along.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2801
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Fury.

I can think of a couple of dog tales (tails?) along my journey, but I'll yield to Tp for Installment #2 first.

Tponetom

Post Number: 247
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this post had died and was buried.
Enter, a Resurrection!

Part 2 will follow in this post.

Tponetom

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ride home from Kalamazoo was uneventful. Tora threw up only six or eight times. Puppies and car sickness is legendary.
We had prepared the utility/mud room for her. Newspapers on the floor and a short leash to keep her on the papers. She learned quickly.

Every puppy owner knows that ‘praise’ is the reward for everything the dog does correctly. The excreting process, in particular, warrants the greatest praise. “Ohhhh, what a good doggie! Look at that nice stool! Oh, what a nice color! And oh, what a symmetrical pile!

Trauma time was teaching her how to come ‘down’ the staircase. Her snowshoe paws would get tangled together, each one groping for a different footing on the vertical descent. (Going up the stairs was no problem.)

Our efforts to train her in more advanced voice commands and hand signals would have to wait for at least a year or so. Puppies just want to play, not obey.

At the age of six months, we committed the most egregious error a dog owner can commit. We entered Tora in a Dog Show, Puppy Class. There were four other puppies in her class. One of them was disqualified and that let Tora win the Fourth place ribbon.
A week later, we knew something was wrong. Tora would not eat, drink or make merry with us. We took her to the Vet. The diagnosis was quick. “Parvo.”
In 1982, very little was known about Parvovirus except for the fact that it was 98% fatal.
We were crushed. The Vet told us the only thing he could do was to keep her sedated and hook her up to an IV to keep her hydrated. So he kept her overnight. We came back the next morning. The Vet said there was no change and we should not get too optimistic. He would give it one more day.
Our error was simply exposing our dog to a couple of hundred strange dogs. Adult dogs build up an immunity that puppies have not yet gained.
We returned the next day, in early afternoon. We were not eager to hear the bad news.
We walked into the waiting room. It was vacant. I walked up to the counter. Nothing, No one.
The door to the service/operating room was open. I rapped the bell that was on the counter with no response. I looked downward at the open door. There was movement. It was Tora!
Her condition could only be described as, a soggy clutch of fur, bedraggled, decrepit and more dead than alive. There was no recognition in her eyes and very little life. The Vet was right behind her. He told us that this was all he could do for her and it would be up to us to get home and get her to drink and eat. We were ecstatic that she was alive. The Vet told us to handle her carefully so she would not vomit the little bit of moisture that was in her. It was 30 miles to home. Peggy sat in the back of the Blazer holding Tora in her lap. The trip was uneventful except for a command, from Peggy, about every three seconds or so. “Slow down! Don’t swerve! Your going to fast! Watch out for chuck holes! Don’t turn too sharply! Stop! Maybe she has to pee! Tora, that is.
Well, we made it. Almost. As I turned into our driveway, convulsions began and Tora upchucked maybe a tablespoon of liquid. It was like a kick in the stomach for us.
We got her in the house and the parade of racking one’s memory began. Give her a dish of water. Put some water on your finger and place it in her mouth. Give her an ice cube. Drip some water on the end of her nose. Nothing!
We tried to feed her, anything and everything we had.
We had 2 Servel, gas refrigerators in our utility room. I had gone through the freezer compartment of one of them. Hamburger, raw and fried, and other meats were no attraction for Tora. We despaired. We were out of options.
Six hours later, I decided to go through the other freezer. There was one lousy, lonely, beautiful package of meat, that we had not tried. Raw liver! I took it out. I chopped out a single piece to defrost which took only a few minutes. I put it in the fry pan on the stove, under a moderate flame.
And then, Peggy let out a scream, “Tora just raised her head!” Sure enough, Tora’s nose was off of the floor and was searching for the tantalizing smell of the liver..
Eureka, Ala Kazam, and Poop, Poopy Doop. We found the magic word, as Groucho Marx would have said. (If you don’t know Groucho Marx, forget it.)
I crumbled up the half cooked liver. Peggy fed her, a crumb at a time. She did not eat very much but that was okay because she also drank some water. We were on a roll and we won all the marbles.
At the age of one, we began some serious training for Tora. Voice commands came first and then hand signals.
Heel, sit, stay, come, halt were vocal commands. They paid off many times when Tora would spot a skunk or a woodchuck and we would scream at her to “Halt.” Sometimes she would look like those cartoon characters who would skid to a halt, sliding on their backside.
Tora had one fault we could not cure her of. Whenever any friendly person came in view, she would ‘charge’ like the Light Brigade, jump on the person and lick the hell out of them.
When strangers came to the house, I never let Tora expose her true colors. Peggy did the same. If Tora sensed danger in a person, or if a stranger extended their hand to either of us, Tora posed an aggressive stance with a snarl.
At the age of three she had matured to a formidable, 100 pounds.
For the next four years, I was gone for two or three weeks at a time, working.
Peggy would still pursue her Samaritan duties by driving stranded motorists to town to get road service help. She would make the traveler sit in the back of our pick-up truck that had a camper over it, and Tora would sit in the front seat with her.
There was never an incident.
In 1992, we made our annual winter visit to Houston to see our son and his wife.
Tora was in distress. Hip displasia. The X-rays showed irreparable damage. We had to put her down. We buried her in Mike’s backyard.
It usually winds up into heart break.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While Outoftown is out of town, perhaps Outoftown will Getlost.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.
Mark Twain

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story Tponetom !

I wish all pet owners could be as caring and responsible as you and your wife Peg.

I hope you save every thing you write for possible publishing down the road. We are very lucky here to be able to read your musings.

Tponetom

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936
Your turn.

Most of us know that dogs are unique and there are no two stories about dogs that are identical, and certainly, no bad ones
Gaz.
I did not realize there were so many dog 'lovers' in the Forum! Yay!

Eriedearie:
Fret not over the opinions of others.
You may remember what Liberace said???

Ray1936

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the little boy asked his father, "Pop, are there dogs in heaven?"

The father answered, "Of course. If there are no dogs, it isn't heaven."

I've had a heavy heart five times in my journey...that trip to the vets where the final injection took place. Each time, the old girl just went to sleep quickly and beautifully. It's always had me puzzled over the folks who say lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment. I think not, but I wander......

Probably my favorite two were a daschund...."Leibschen"....and a cocker, "Gibbi", named after Kirk Gibson.

Leibschen loved the outdoors, and loved going up to the Traverse City area with us in our fifth wheel trailer. The only problem was she'd get into the high grass, and we couldn't find her, built low to the ground as she was. So we tied a balloon to her collar and that pretty well fixed that. As most daschunds do, she had severe back problems. Our vet said he wouldn't touch her, but perhaps the small animal clinic at MSU might try. So off to East Lansing we went, and the subsequent operation was a total success. Been a Spartan booster ever since.

Then there was Gibbi. Blonde cocker spaniel. Brought her home from a dealer a year after we landed in Las Vegas. Well, Gibbi fell in love with the swimming pool, and it got to the point that I was maintaining the damn pool for the dog, and not for me and the wife. From April to October, old Gib would beg to go out to take a dip. Actually, it was a lot of fun, but it took a lot of drying off all the time before she could get back into the house. Fortunately, the dry heat out here evaporates the water one drags out of the pool very quickly.

Anyway, the big C caught up with Gib about six years ago, and she slipped off to the big sleep at the vets, her head in my arms.

No dogs since that time, but we have a cat, Amos. Amos thinks he's a dog, although he's a lot neater with his litter box than any of the pups ever thought of being.

Here's me 'n the Gib at the Grand Canyon 10 years ago.

Irunwscissors
Username: Irunwscissors

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love these stories, They are the stories I never got to hear my grandparents tell. Many thanks over and over to all who share with us. Yay! for dog lovers, I have stories of my dear Ren, my Min Pin of 12 years. Such a little trooper. I have yet to write them down, because my heart is still broken.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 928
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhh! Just finished my class and what a treat to see TP's Installment 2 posted! And BONUS! An account from Ray PLUS a picture.

Tora, Fang Wun, Fang Tu, Leibschen and Gibbi sure were lucky dogs to have you guys in their lives. Ray - love the balloon idea!

TP - I can't recall what Liberace said - let me know okay?

Gaz - keep us informed if you get adopted! :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 609
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to pass this along - I found it on another forum. I've had neighbors around me "trade up" to another dog from the shelter because they would NOT take the time to acclimate a dog to it's surroundings or even untie it in the yard!

"Dear new mommy/daddy,

Imagine you were taken from your home and brought into another house where you did not speak the language. Although I appreciate the haircut and puppy pads they do not offer enough guidance on what is expected of me. I like the kid and I really want to fit in but no one has shown or taught me anything. I am by myself all day long and make messes and bark because I have separation anxiety. I need a safe place during the day, like a kennel to call my own. I know it may seem cruel to you but, trust me, it'll help. Everyday before you leave for work take me outside. To clue me in on what you want me to do outside take my daytime "offerings" out there and put them where you want me to go. Bring me in and put me in the kennel with a blanket and some toys. Dogs usually do not soil where they have to lay so chances are I will be ready to go when you get home. Take me outside right away and praise the hell out of me when I do go. In no time I will pick up on the potty thing. Being in a secure place during the day will help my anxiety. I will get used to your routine and will soon realize that you are coming home on a daily basis. I am not a bad dog I just don't know what you want of me-we speak different languages so please guide me. I am sorry to have been such a burden but just like you have raised your child, I need to be raised also."

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent post, Bigb23. Our little gal has been too excited to 'go' outside. She LOVES to play in the snow and chase after the rabbit tracks. We are going out again in a minute, and I will be taking her by her spots again. I can't take her off the leash because she really really wants to get those rabbits. I never ever thought of trading a dog in, but luckily, this one is perfect.

Almost any dog can adapt to our ways, given proper direction and time. I think a kennel at night is a great idea, since we can't be on the watch 24-7. We will check one out this afternoon. She was very good in her kennel at the shelter.

Bigb23

Post Number: 611
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't had a dog of my own since I was 15, because of military,rental,space and time considerations.
I'm single, and not too many years ago was working 72 hours a week plus commute. That would be unfair to a pet dog. Cats on the other hand, are purr-fect as I now work swing shifts as a temp.
Unfortunately, I have those neighbors with up to five dogs per home who don't even walk their dogs.
Even when I offer to.
But they tie them up outside everyday to bark at everything around them.

So sad!

Tponetom

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie:
Re: Liberace,
"Some people are saying good things about me. Other people are saying bad things about me. Thank God, they are ALL talking about me."

To all of the above 'posts': Wonderful. Wonderful!

Our dog philosophy is simple. To Paraphrase "Ruth:" You go where we go and you stay where we stay!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the adventure continues! We were having fun in the snow. It is quite treacherous with the snow on top of the ice from the melting yesterday. I decided we should play in the yard to be safe, but unfortunately I found a slippery spot and crashed to earth, and broke a bone in my left hand. Ir's called a Mickey Stanley fracture, I've had it before, so I will be spending the afternoon getting it taped up instead of finding a dog crate. Pain in the neck, getting old! We will just have to test the laundry room-kitchen set up.

Bigb23

Post Number: 612
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz -

Take care of that typing hand, we don't want to lose you here!

Tponetom

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz:
I appreciate the enthusiasm that this post has exposed, but this is not SHOW BUSINESS!
THERE IS NO NEED TO GO OUT AND "BREAK A LEG."
Medical tip for old people: I take three calcium tabs a day to strengthen my tired old bones.

Fury13

Post Number: 4040
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually get at least 100 trail miles on my dogs each season. Unfortunately, this year my health has been iffy most of the winter, so I had to put training on hold. I simply wouldn't have been able to keep up with the dogs. I feel bad that my two haven't been able to realize their potential as sled dogs this year. However, I do hope to get in some training before the end of March, so, hopefully, the season won't be a total washout.

My girl Queenie:

Q

My boy Roman:

R

This is what they do:

Tindall

(This is not my team, but the team that belongs to the guy I train with; Roman and Queenie train with these dogs.)

Bigb23

Post Number: 618
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sled dogs always seem happiest when they are "at work"

Fury13

Post Number: 4041
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They truly are.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2803
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Queenie's a sweetheart! Thanks for putting her photo up.

Speaking of canines, we have a couple of coyotes in our neighborhood that come down from the adjacent hills. Last night they started yowling for each other about 3:00 a.m. It lasted for about fifteen minutes until they apparently located each other. I laid in bed with the window open just grinning and appreciating the sounds of nature.

Bigb23

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray,

Where I live out in the woods of Northern Oakland Co., I hear them a lot at night, but have not seen one since I've been back in Michigan!(almost 30 years). Some as close as 100 yds.
They truly are elusive creatures.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We actually had a coyote bedded down in some bushes in our yard less than two miles north of 8 Mile. This was maybe four-five years ago. The crows told me where to look, or I would not have seen him. He must have been just passing through, because we haven't seen or heard any coyotes since then. Since then West Nile took out all the crows around here. I miss them.

I got a splint on my hand. They say the bone is cracked but not broken, so it should get better pretty quickly.

Bigb23

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 60's we never thought about coyotes, cougars, vultures and great blue herons.
Thank god they are back.
Heal up Gaz.

http://www.savethecougar.org/

(Message edited by Bigb23 on February 29, 2008)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2805
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz is cracked up in this thread.

Be well, Gaz. Stuff happens.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 934
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! This thread has been busy since I was gone all day today!

Bigb23 - that is such a good letter you posted. So true. Our son and his wife did just those things mentioned and their dogs are perfectly behaved. They listen so well and know just what to do. Good advice on there.

Tp - yes = now I remember Liberace saying that! Good quote!

Gaz - sorry about your "paw"! Hope it heals quickly for you.

Fury - I have a friend in Alaska and he and his wife each own a team of sled dogs. They've both competed in the Iditarod. I understand their teams are members of the family. They are very close with each and every one of them. And they said that those dogs love to work. So you're right on the mark there.

Ray - there are coyotes in Essex County. One of our sons lives over by Ojibway, between Windsor and LaSalle and they have a pack of them that run the area. He went out in his workshop the other night and saw one out in the back field. He was trying to chase it off and it wouldn't budge. David kept watching it and finally it just trotted off. He has one huge dog named "Tank" (totally fits the name BTW) and a little bitty dog named "Gizmo" and he's afraid now to let them out, even in their enclosed area. And on the East end of Windsor some people have reported having seen packs of coyotes in that populated area. I guess with all the building going on the coyotes are getting chased out of the woods that are quickly becoming subdivisions!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2806
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what happened in my neighborhood. Five years ago, this was all desert and mountain foothills. Now we've invaded their turf. I'd be howling mad if'n I was one of them, too.

Here's my subdivision up against Black Mountain. My house is to the far back in the foothills.

Tponetom

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Quick anecdote. We started building our home in the forest in the spring of 1974. We managed to get it closed in by October. Inside partitions were all 2x4's. We had a single mattress on the floor near the Franklin Stove. All summer long we listened to the coyotes bark and sing in short spasms. No problem. The night in question was eerily quiet. No breeze, no birds, nothing. We were almost asleep. All of a sudden we heard hysterical screaming and laughing exploding nearby. We had not a clue. My first thought was a bunch of kids out on a drunk or dope or both. It lasted but five minutes or so. Then, dead silence. No more disturbances that evening. I assumed the 'kids' left. The next morning one of the Forest Rangers stopped by to visit with us. We told him about the incident. He smiled and said, "What you heard was a herd of coyote's making a "kill." In their excitement they are, literally, screaming. When their 'victim' is down and dead, all the noise stops and they begin a feeding frenzy, quietly.
Later that day I seen a lot of ravens flying toward the ten acre clearing at the corner of our land. I walked toward it. There was a small doe, or rather the pathetic remains of it. A skull, some bones, a bit of hide but there was no mistaking the fresh dried blood that was smeared around the scene.
"Green Tenderfoot, 101!" That was our first learning adventure.

During the next 20 years there were a thousand encounters with bear, bald eagles, mountain lion and all the little varmints.
We also learned that a little dog, like tiny, would never survive in that venue. We seen more than a few rabbits and squirrels being carried off by hawks and owls.
A "dead" newborn fawn coming back to life.
A mountain lion confronting Peggy, all alone.
Hearing a shot during hunting season at the end of our driveway, and then finding the shot off foot of a deer. We tracked the deer for a mile and a half and then lost him in a swamp. I would have shot him in a heartbeat to save him from being eaten alive. That made me sick.
The nature part was always beautiful and necessary.
The human intrusions are the sad ones

Bigb23

Post Number: 633
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a hunter, but support the effort to control/manage ALL populations of animals. It is in the best interest of all parties concerned.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.