Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Just a Silly Question, Lowell. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do Detroiters have to be adroit, and in either case, do they have just plain droits or not?
Who can answer?

What ever the answer, the check is in the mail.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4534
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need to be doubly adroit. We face great challenges. We need to cast off the past and move adroitly and fearlessly into the future counting on our many talents and advantages to carry us through. We need to progress toward international metropolitan union of all our communities and achieve racial and cultural healing and harmony.

Tponetom

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell: I am flabbergasted. What a great answer! My question was not'tongue in cheek.' We, meaning America, have languished in our 'droits for the last 45 years or so. (Our rights, our privileges.) JFK put it simply: "Ask not what you can do for your country,,,,,,,,"
Your quote, "metropolitan union of all communities" speaks volumes. Single entities, like Detroit are no longer relevant. Metropolitan Detroit is the future.
Adroit or Droit, that is the question. the answer has to be homogenous.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...I'm in awe! This is no longer a "silly question" thread. Thanks!

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metropolitan Detroit is too confining and image inciting.....

SouthEastern Lower Michigan really defines the area...

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

adroit--a great word. Combination of Latin and French. There is even a USS Adroit, a minesweeper.
A synonym for adroit is dexterous. I wonder if that is really Dexter bus? Don't tell, jjaba.
Sorry, Kathleen, for being "silly". Back to being adroit, Detroit.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit used to have many gruntled workers in the auto industry. Today......not so much.

Tponetom

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: My post 227
I really screwed up that 'Kennedy' quote.

It should have read: "Ask not what your country can do for you,,,,,,,,,,,

Chuckles: You are correct. SE Michigan will become the ultimate solution.

Rock: Is nothing sacred anymore? I picked up the word, adroit, when I began my handball career, fifty years ago
Dexterity it is. Many "righties" start out 'fisting' the ball. A smooth, naturel left hand swing takes years to cultivate on the courts and very few succeeded, including myself.

My favorite synonym phrase (compliments of Webster’s 3rd) for the word "droit" is as follows:

Droit du sei-gneur [F. right of the lord] the supposed legal or customary right at the time of a marriage whereby a feudal lord had sexual relations with a vassal’s bride on her wedding night.
Hmmmmmm. Those Frenchmen!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ask not what the vassal's bride can do for the vassal, but what the feudal lord can do for the vassal's bride." Another way of looking at it.
Keep swinging, Tponetom. 50 years. WOW! By now you must have dexterity mastered.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You want dexterity, watch me with the TV remote.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4537
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha you all crack me up. :-)

[Climbing down from my pulpit.]

Tponetom

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, et al,
In the beginning there was light, like in lightness. Then it got a little heavy, like in heaviness.
So I will continue it in that mode.
In reference to <the_rock> , I submit the following:
I am obviously making reference to 'Rocks' unfinished statement, to wit:
“WOW! By now you must have dexterity master,.,,WHAT?”

iF YOU HAVE TO ASK, DON'T BOTHER.
“We will always have Omar.”
(I stole that line from 'Casablanca")

“A Book of Verses underneath the Bough. A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness. Oh, Wilderness were Paradise.”

1) 32539. Khayyam, Omar. The Columbia World of Quotations. 1996
NUMBER: 32539 QUOTATION.
With that kind of magic, no one needs that dexterity master,,,,,thing.

No more comments solicited.

Never did I imagine that I would find kindred ship in this Forum.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Any bird can build a nest, but it's not everyone can lay an egg."

-- Stan Laurel

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.