Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » SXSW 2008 Detroit Bands « Previous Next »
Archive through February 21, 2008Downriviera30 02-21-08  8:24 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the SXSW site, Tesco Vee is still in...

http://2008.sxsw.com/music/sho wcases/band/65348.html

Perhaps the only original member.

Melody, is the Beatles song going to say "2 down, 2 to go" instead of "1 down, 3 to go" now?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5270
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, gotcha, my bad. I was reading some bad information, apparently! Stupid interwebs.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Tesco is fronting the band with a crop of young studs (who play really well). The show at Saint Andrew's was billed as just Tesco Vee of the Meatmen (he was backed by the guys in Easy Action/Negative Approach). So these are the first actually "Meatmen" shows since 1997 or something. They're playing all the classics, but they plan to release a new album this year.

And yeah, the song is now called "2 down, 2 to go." Funny, but I love the Beatles. You should see the poster for these tours. I'm even offended. I'd post it here but I'd surely get in trouble. www.myspace.com/hatepolice if you really want to see it.

Tickets are still available for the Small's show on March 22. Go to Smalls any day after 8 p.m. or buy online at www.smallsbar.com !

(Oh and I've seen Black Sabbath without Ozzy. I saw them with Dio during the Heaven and Hell tour last year, and it was AWESOME! Dio is ten times the performer Ozzy is.)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5282
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GASP!

East_detroit

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blasphemy!

Next thing we'll hear she's breaking the unwritten rule about band member girlfriends being managers.

Say it isnt so!

Melody

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tour manager, not band manager. It's not an unwritten rule, it happens all the time. I'm in a (different) band with him too, so what?

East_detroit

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No big deal, as long as you don't plot their astrology charts.

Melody

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No astrology charts, but they better wear these matching ponchos I'm knitting for them! I also have an idea for a tambourine part...

(Sorry for being so defensive, but I've been getting (anonymously) attacked lately for having my hand in many cookie jars, which I won't apologize for.)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw the Meatmen a few times back in the day, they were great. Reminded me of one of my favorite bands from LA, the Mentors.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody,

Heh heh, thanks for rolling with it.

Anonymous attacks? Don't they know the fine history of the incestuous Detroit music scene?

Melody

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're doing at least one show with the Mentors on the east coast, I think. Someone even offered up the Murder Junkies, but them with out GG Allen is like...

East, apparently I'm not allowed to date anyone, play in any bands, or enjoy more than one job in the same field according to anonymous lurkers on the internet. In reality, The News actually encourages me to do anything that makes me more experienced.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but they better wear these matching ponchos I'm knitting for them

You know, I might actually pay to see that.. :-)

Back in the day, I enjoyed Tesco as rock critic better than Tesco the performer. I still remember one review he wrote: "Never liked them, still don't." The shocking secret about Tesco, was he was a school teacher by day and offensive punk rocker by night. He was about 10 years older than the rest of the "scene".

East_detroit

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody,

They're just jealous. Ask them which of your jobs they are next in line for.

Pam,

I'm just glad Tesco is still out there, because he's older than me.

Austinjohn
Username: Austinjohn

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit,

I would really like to get the people from Detroit attending SXSW together somewhere so we can meet/greet/have some fun. There is a great club on 5th street that I go to that is not a music venue. There are not many people there at happy hour, and I know the bartender well. We could all meet there in the afternoon and have the whole place to ourselves. It is country/western with a mixed gay/straight crowd. They have $1.50 domestic beer and $2.00 all you can eat tacos. What do you think?

East_detroit

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi John,

Sure, sounds good. I am guessing that Thursday afternoon would be the best. What time? We could also mention it at http://www.sxswbaby.com/index. php/forums/

Is this the Rainbow Cattle Club?

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 596
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrible Twos are awesome. off-kilter power-pop-type of stuff. great energy. my friend's band Little Claw is also playing; they are originally from Detroit but recently relocated to Portland. really good experimental/psychedelic. check 'em out if you have the chance.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11676
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super!

Where have you been, woman?!

Cheers

AustinJohn,
Wishin' I was in Austin for this...sorry I haven't gotten back with you yet. Have fun.

Superaygun

Post Number: 597
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey there, you! been around, playing music, interfacing with the rest of the world for a change...how's tricks? :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 11698
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about time for some more Thai food...you should drag whatever lucky fellow is your S.O. over to the loft and see what we've got going on here.

We're usually jamming with an open house on Fridays, although this one will be at my friend Audra's house for her new Dinner and a Show entertainment series.

This Friday, it's Blair and Sky Covington bookended by Audra's mesmerization...should be a fantastic time.

We're playing around with recording various events, like her Open Mic at the 1923 Coffeehouse on Thursday nights in Hamtramck...and this series of shows. So far, it has been amazing...there is something about capturing a live event for later playback that gives the night's experience enduring value...and hopefully soon, recurring revenue for the artists!

(this is one of five projects I've started this year, juggling like a pro)

Cheers

Superaygun

Post Number: 599
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that sounds like good times! let me know next time you guys are meeting up at the loft...it'll just be little ole me as there is no S.O. for the time being. but i never get sick of Sala Thai and good music! i keep meaning to check out Cafe 1923; it looks really cute in there.
suppose i'd better leave it at this so as not to sabotage the thread any further...LOL hit me up at fromthelionsmouth at yahoo dot com sometime and give me more of the skinny! take care!

Gannon

Post Number: 11700
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it, back to your regularly scheduled program.

The Cafe 1923 folk are some of the best on the planet...you will really enjoy that space. All sorts of resonance happening there! Thursdays are getting busy, too!

Don't forget to ask me the 'green jello cubes' story from Memorial Day last year...

Austinjohn

Post Number: 318
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit,

Yes, it is Rainbow Cattle Co. on 5th Street. However, I may have to go out of town for work that week. That would not prevent anyone from showing up there for happy hour. If I do go out of town, I might be back by Thursday. I'll keep you posted. Sorry I haven't been posting, but I have been on the road for the last two weeks working in DC and McAllen, TX.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TV coverage:

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/glob al/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P45 30010

Austinjohn

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK everyone!! I will be out of town until Friday, so I propose that anyone from Detroit or the DY Forum who wants to get together while in Austin meet at the Rainbow Cattle Co. club at 305 E. 5th Street around 5:00 pm on Friday, March 14, 2008. This is NOT a music venue for SXSW, and I know the owners very well. Happy hour is pretty slow here, so we will pretty much have the place to ourselves. Beer and well drinks are $2.50 until 8:00 pm. I may be able to get us a discount on domestic beers. The bar is country/western with a mixed gay/straight, clientele, but nobody should be intimidated by this, there isn't anyone there in the afternoon except the regulars (me and a few others). Hope to see you there!

East_detroit

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, John... how do we recognize you?

Austinjohn

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am tall, have dark brown hair, beard and mustache. I usually sit on the side of the bar near the room with the pool tables. There won't be many people there. Bartender is Blake, he knows me.

John

East_detroit

Post Number: 1566
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, trying to find people now... I've become disconnected from my party...

Austinjohn

Post Number: 321
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope everyone enjoyed the 95 degree record high we had Friday while waiting in those long lines to get into the clubs.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was great.

Only problem is now I really, really can't stand the Winter.

Did anyone make it to the RCC? I took the Orange Dillo to UT Austin and used a computer there and melted.

We need a longer pre-planning period for next time. Although, I think for me next time it will be the film (and maybe interactive) festival. The music festival this year was too overwhelming and hectic.

Austinjohn

Post Number: 322
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit,

Nobody made it the RCC except for me and the regulars. Didn't really expect very many to show up. You are right, the music festival has gotten huge and is overwhelming for us locals too. It is great for our economy, but we are always glad when it is over. I can have my parking space in front of RCC back.

East_detroit

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what 6th street is like normally... seems like it could be pretty cool.

Over by the RCC were clubs that werent part of SXSW but would advertise as "come see us during SXSW" or other slightly misleading verbiage that really makes the whole thing spiral.

Melody

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had one of the best times at a non-SXSW venue. I was at Trophy's for a few hours during the day on the Friday and saw some of my favorite bands. In fact, I didn't even have a wrist band, the only official SXSW show I went to was the Meatmen's. Got to hang out with Blue Cheer, though, that was awesome! :-)

Austinjohn

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit,

6th Street can be fun, but the people who hang there are way younger than me, so I don't go much. The Warehouse District over by RCC is more my speed. Both districts are crowded on Friday and Saturday nights, and be sure to take lots of money. The cover charges and drinks will burn up cash quickly.

Send me e-mail to brillo78758_at_yahoo_dot_com when you get a chance. I would love to hear your thoughts on Austin in general.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.