Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Jjaba « Previous Next »
Archive through February 04, 2008Eastside6130 02-04-08  12:02 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6072
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No matches.
Sorry.

Chuckjav, thanks. There was plenty for everybody, eh.

jjaba.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still waiting for Jjaba to open that specialty store, a "niche" retailer that only sell winter head gear, middle eastern delicacies, coffee, and 70's psychedelic lighting - I can see it now -

"Jjaba's Java, Baklava, Balaclavas, and Lava Lamps Boutique"

Jjaba

Post Number: 6074
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add some music and you got jjaba's java jive...
Alan55, thanks for thinking of jjaba.

Where's the market for jjaba's store? Name a location in Detroit. Location, location, location is all's ya gotta know.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about over there on Schaefer, near Kwame's church. That way, the next time our embarrassment of a mayor draws a crowd by perching over there to try to sell us some shit, Jjaba can try to sell the crowd some shit.
See? The plan virtually suggests itself, Jjaba, and you don't even have to leave our neck of the woods.
--Ravine, Plymouth Road heretic

Jjaba

Post Number: 6076
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is checking locations. Think he can find a vacant storefront?

jjaba.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look what I found

jaba javajive

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to that place, If you can zoom in on the door you can clearly see a sign,

"No Socks, No Shoes, No Service!"

and just inside the door, a stack of News Papers for a $mall fee.

Looks like a good location, besides the fact that it's not on a bus route? who would have guessed?

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on February 05, 2008)

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If your place really gets popular and jumpin', Jjaba, you can offer spicy ethnic food -

Jambalaya.

Gnome

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kosher Jambalaya?

hmm...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2671
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that stack of newspapers inside the door the Detroit Times? I believe it is..........

Jjaba

Post Number: 6086
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, what the hell? Where is this?
The photo looks so authentic and so 50s.

jjaba.

Gnome

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to dissapoint, but I googled Greater Grace Emmanual Institutional Church of God in Christ and Spot Welding.

It's Kwame's church down the street from Tom's Tavern. The added jjabe java and jive artwork was a photoshop trick; thought it would turn up the corners of your mouth a tad.

(Message edited by Gnome on February 05, 2008)

Jjaba

Post Number: 6091
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the address of Kwame Church?

Great photo. jjaba loves it.
jjaba.

Gnome

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the location? 7 mile and schaffer, don't know the number

Thinking about stopping in to visit?

I think the building use to be a theater, but can't be sure about that. Maybe Gistok would know.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

I'm surprised that a Westsider like you doesn't recognize Greater Grace Temple on 7 mile and Schaefer. It's humongous, and you can't miss it. I grew up not too far from there, and remember the "old" church (which I think is still behind the "new" church). In fact, I think the "old" church used to be a synagogue (I remember seeing a Star of David on the side of the church). That might ring a bell for you.

The "new" church was built from the ground up. There may have been a building torn down, but at least part of the church was built in the parking lot. It was built sometime in the late '80's/early '90's, I believe.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6105
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba needs to get out more.

jjaba.

Rel
Username: Rel

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To respond to a WAY earlier question...

The significance or a "chai" gift. When someone has a Bar Mitzvah, wedding or other "simcha" (joyous happening), some give monetary increments of $18 ($36, $180, etc). Giving "chai" is giving "life". The numerical value of the Hebrew letters in "chai" amount to 18.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jjaba.....

My family frequently availed ourselves of the wonderful offerings at the Jewish Community Center on Meyers & Curtis; fellowship, counseling, swimming, Red-Cross certification courses, flag football league, basketball, Camp Tamarack...etc.

Those were the days, my friend!

Can you trace the history of the Detroit Jewish Community Center leading up to its establishment at Meyers and Curtis?

Wanderinglady

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Jjaba? I haven't seen any posts by him in weeks! Does anyone know if he's OK? I miss his wit and wisdom.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 991
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read on another thread a message from him that he was going on vacation for a while. I don't think he went to the Eastside tho'!

We all miss him...Hurry back Jjaba!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I....we - you/me - cannot possibly celebrate the Festival of Purim absent the wonderfully whimsical wit and wisdom of Jjaba.

Holler!

Rel

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Send him a mishloach manot.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel....nothing says loving quite like Manischewitz Brand Gefilte Fish, smothered in Durkee Brand Hot Sauce, on Streit's Brand Matzos.

More Silver Spring Brand Horseradish please!

Rel

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No such thing as too much horseradish, Chuckjav!

Hey... would anyone be willing to get together a Deli Day for Jewish/Jewophile D'Yesers? That sounds like a delicious idea. It'd be nice to meet other buchors passionate about the City (especially jjaba). Thoughts, anyone?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4579
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction... Greater Grace Emmanual Temple at 7 and Schaefer is has grown from its core of the former Avas Achim Synagogue. This is on DetroitYes's sister site at http://shtetlhood.com/Avas_Ach im_star.htm.

It was preceded by the "Delmar Shul" Avas Achim on Delmar on the near eastside nka the Pentecostal Church of God. http://shtetlhood.com/Avas_Ach im_1.htm.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel...This nice Jewish boy will be in Hamtramck on Saturday night (New Dodge) - watching son's band (Decibilt) kick out the jams at 11th Annual Hamtramck Music Blowout.

Would love to set future date for DetroitYes Picnic; looking forward to meeting all who visit this discussion board

Rel

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'll be in Dearborn tomorrow night (announcing at a charity event) but maybe I'll try to stop by after the event. I have never been to the Music Blowout, sounds fun! Is it all Klezmer? ;)

What time will y'all be there?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 441
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rel....My son's group is scheduled to perform at midnight; family and friends will be massing at the New Dodge by 10:30...10:45.

We always have a good time; fun for folks of all ages (and we don't even drink).

Rel

Post Number: 347
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect timing. I think my event goes until 11:30, midnightish.

I'll be the girl in black, overdressed for a Hamtown bar. If I am able to make it, please feel free to introduce yourself!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6168
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Jewish Communiy Centers evolved from E. Ferry St., to Woodward and Clairmont, to Davison just West of Dexter, to Meyers and Curtis, to W. 10 Mile Rd. near Greenfield, to the Drake Road campus today.

Remember, Jews move en masse every generation so expect them to leave the neighborhood every 25 years.

jjaba just got back from Guadalajara and San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Your kind words were a nice greetings. He was gone about 10 days.

Yes, all Hebrew letters are numbered and Chai (to life) is #18. When you give a Bar Mitzvah gift, give in $18 increments for the Bar Mitzvah Bukkor who has studied hard for the huge mitzvah and simcha. No harm done giving double, triple or quadra-chais.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome home Jjaba!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4744
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome home, Detroit's ambassador to the world. You've been sorely missed!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6170
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba got gas for less than $2.00 in Mexico. Ask how.

jjaba.

Rel

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome home, Jjaba. OK, I'll bite: how did you get gas for less than $2?

Chuckjav, I showed up at the New Dodge tonight at 11:58. But I was turned away at the door because I didn't have a wristband, which cost $20 cash only. Since I don't usually carry cash, I only had $10 and they wouldn't let me charge it on my card. I look forward to meeting you some other time :-( Can't say I didn't try... I hope you enjoyed your son's band!

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba is correct about gas for under $2, But you don't need to travel to Mexico to get it, plenty of resources here in the states ! lol

Welcome back Jjaba!

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on March 09, 2008)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jjaba, good to see that you're back home; thank you for the background information on the city's Jewish center.

Rel...sorry to hear about Saturday evening; the boys put on a very good show.
I will be certain to post the date of Decibilt's next performance (ep release tour this summer).

Jjaba

Post Number: 6171
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the bean burrito at Taco Bell. You'll get gas for less than $2.00.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Wanderinglady

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba, glad you had a nice vacation. Did you see Lowell's post about Greater Grace Temple?

Did you bring back a souvenir from Mexico, maybe something like this? http://www.dvdtown.com/images/ displayimage.php?id=7204

I remember the Jewish Community Center when it was on Meyers. I can't believe it has moved twice since then. The location moves as much as the location of Catholic Central High School...

Jjaba

Post Number: 6174
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since Jews came to Detroit, they've been on the move. Each generation (25 yrs.) seems to move out when the signal is given. It is well documented.

The trend has been stalled a bit in Huntington Woods, Michigan and northern Oak Park, Michigan.
The former has a population of acculturated Jews who like the location, the schools, and other city services. The latter, Oak Park community prefers to live as a shtetl in the Orthodox community apart from the more intergrated types.
Both of these communities of Jews are quite stable.

The vast majority of Detroit Jewry lives NW in a rolling series of cities always moving. A good example of how they left is Southfield, Michigan, considered "played out."

In jjaba's Detroit, we saw how Jews moved through generations every 25 years, occupying then leaving. When leaving, this means abandoning religious schools, synagogues, Jewish retail, and housing. Thus, Jewish Detroit today is almost 100% beyond Detroit City limits, with the exception of earning a living all over town.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6175
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell's reference of Congregation Avas Achim is a perfect example of the demographic shifts amongst Jewish synagogues. All of those mid-century modernist 1950-60s NW Detroit synagogues have been sold long ago now. Those in the inner surburbs have also transitioned from Jews to churches or community centers.

Ofcourse, the sale of Jewish Community Centers, Hebrew Schools, and other Jewish philanthropies can been seen as a collection Detroit ruins. A dandy example is Sinai Hospital on W. Outer Drive.

jjaba can name many DPS high schools which were heavily Jewish during some times of the past; Old Central, Eastern, Northern, Central, MacKenzie, Mumford, Ford, and others. Plot those high schools and you plot Jewish transition across Detroit.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4604
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the current Avas Achim [or its successor] sells their shul, I want to buy it. They obviously bring luck. Both of the old Avas Achims have become hugely successful churches with giant additions that dwarf the former synagogues. jjaba, you in on that investment?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Sinai Hospital is not in ruins.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4605
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That true ^ what little fraction remains of what was once a huge campus.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6176
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is for any investment in Lowell if he's FDIC insured.

jjaba, on the Far Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6177
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As they say in Detroit, invite a Black minister to Shul, so he can see where his next church will be. Eventually, the Jews move out farther and leave behind everything but the Torahs and the memories of grande simchas.

jjaba, Dexter Blvd. Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba....The demographic shift of Jewish folk in the Dayton area took a different turn.

A few synagogues remain in Dayton; there is also a synagogue in the first-ring southern suburb of Kettering.

But....

The Jewish Community Center moved from NW Dayton, to a mega-structure in the southern suburb of Centerville.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6182
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean Jews still live in Dayton? Is there a good Jewish delicatessen for "essen?"
Thanks Chuckjav.

jjaba.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 448
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba....Dayton has Bernstein's Kosher.

Beavercreek features the European Deli (sells pork and Kosher products under the same roof).

oy vey iz mir!

Jjaba

Post Number: 6185
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Precisely, Oy veyesmere.
(jjaba using the Ashkenazi spelling.)

jjaba, the Sociology of Pastrami.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pastrami? Did someone say pastrami? With mustard and on good Jewish Rye bread (is there such a thing as BAD Jewish Rye bread?)

Count me in.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 & Jjaba....

I have visions of a gigantic Reuben sandwich and a bowl of classic French onion soup on the side.

What's not to like?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2868
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, man, and I had to settle for warmed up leftover pizza for lunch........

Jjaba

Post Number: 6194
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good pizza is the perfect food. Has all 18 food groups on one slice. Ray1936 know the difference between sex and pizza, eh.

"When the pizza is good, it's very very good. When it's lousy, it's still pretty good."

jjaba ate at Lindy's at the Las Vegas Hilton. The deli sandwiches and sides were pretty good, not Detroit, but ok. Same for any pizza.

jjaba, the Sociology of Pastrami.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been one really bad pizza in my journey, Jjaba, so don't say it's still pretty good. It wasn't. And it was in Wawa, Ontario. I think an Eskimo made it from seal blubber.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6198
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, oh, and jjaba forgot one other.

Don't eat the pizza in Havana. When there's a shortage of cheese, they use condoms. They have these little unlicensed take-away windows on the front of private homes. Not recommended.

jjaba, Travelin' Man on the Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6200
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba going to Lakeland, Fla. this week for Spring Training at Tigers. jjaba plans to tell his old joke about taking girls to Tigers games at Briggs Stadium, high up in Sec. 24, in the 1950s.

Any advice about the Lakeland ballpark, restaurants, other attractions, etc.

jjaba, Tigers Fan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.