Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Thursdays Open Mic at 1923 Coffeehouse in Hamtramck « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11370
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight and every Thursday, hosted by folk artist extraordinaire Audra Kubat and a smattering of friends.

Starting time 7:00, goes for two hours.

Last week, we had one group stop by to help Audra from merely giving us a free concert..Craig Andrew and Dominic Young, who were transcendent. Craig sings and is quite the virtuoso on classical guitar, while resonant Dominic makes magic with his vocal chords. They are looking for the right drummer and bass player to round out their band.

It should be fun for aspiring musicians to try out their chops...we're going to run a hard-disc recorder for the entire two hours, and hopefully be able to make cheap CDs of the night for anyone who wants to prove they can play. Hopefully, that can help them get a small gig in a bar or restaurant...or open for someone bigger in a club.

Anyone and everyone is welcome, acoustic instruments recommended, or electronic ones as long as they run into and through our sound board. Nobody gets to turn up to eleven. No amplifiers, please.

Show up early to guarantee a spot, or text (313) 310-7905 before seven with your name and return number for a 'next-up' when you arrive. If you don't hear a confirmation call from us, we didn't register it!

Cheers!

(Message edited by Gannon on January 17, 2008)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm going to try and make it next thurs

Gannon

Post Number: 11371
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight was pretty cool.

More poets than music, but they were very good.

I saw Miss Green Jello Cubes perform some of hers tonight. Met her first at Audra's Cliff Bell's show after the Memorial Day picnic this past year, Cheddar Bob knows the girl.

Known her for seven months already, and while I have been wowed by her written stuff...I was not prepared for what happens when she reads it aloud.

Turns out she's a phenom.

I already like this place, this is going to be a curious exercise. I can already feel...momentum.

Cheers!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4664
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Mike Dorn come by?

Been too long since I heard Holey Moley live.

http://www.myspace.com/openmic mike

Gannon

Post Number: 11375
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't seen Mike Dorn since my Gotham City days...it'll be great to see him! I was just thinking about those folks...Dorn is at the top of a sketch that James Clay made at HIS poetry open mic nights that hangs just inside the front door of my loft!

This is really only week two of this series...nobody knows about it, of IF they do, they haven't scheduled it.

Audra is doing her promotions her way, and quite frankly until we loaded up the car with my gear she had NO idea what I was up to.

I think it went over well...although I haven't listened to the recording yet. I was too distracted having the live sound right before worrying about the live recording.

Either are juggling acts...to do both properly is a chore.

Cheers!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4668
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were a Gothamite, Gannon? Well, I should have figured!

Gannon

Post Number: 11378
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is when I started growing into my own skin.

Parochial school abuses tried to kill the creativity within me...it took until near thirty to get over it.

Gotham City was a turning point for me, and from where others went afterwards, I am not the only one!

I'm working on a history of it now, actually.

Just have to find Jim again...lost him when he sold out to his son. They lost me when I moved from Royal Oak to Dearborn Heights.

Cheers!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4671
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A place of immeasurable impact on me. Back before all the subcultures were mashed together into one homogenized, socially acceptable psuedo-antithesis as exists today!

Gannon

Post Number: 11380
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL,

Could you fire me an e-mail at jjgannon (at) ix.netcom.com?

I can remember my first time in Gotham City. It took about a half hour before I sought out the owner and grilled him on his reasons for opening it. I'll never forget his reply..."To Provide a forum for Free Speech available to all".

I've got an unsigned painting in my entrance hallway I bought there...a bunch of colored blocks against a beige background...and I'd love to finally meet the artist.

Fellow was a builder with some architectural training who had a child late in life...and I figured all that out simply looking at and studying it hanging just inside Gotham's front door.

Fucking thing haunted me. So I bought it. Didn't have a spare dime to my name at the time, and it cost almost as much as the car I was driving then.

It was my first art purchase, well before I took to collecting what I deem my 'Tortured Women' series that adorns a few walls now. Don't nobody get all hot under their collars, these would be women 'tortured' by asshole insensitive men that I've had to be 'Handyman' with and for throughout the years. (thanks JT for that lifetime theme song)

Cheers!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that coffee shop wonderful place.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4676
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Email sent, Gannon.

Hbisson
Username: Hbisson

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Dorn is on Myspace. My husband is his bass player and has been since the Gotham days. I'm actually the unofficial keeper of the Mike Dorn/Gotham archives. Mike played a few gigs this past year around the 'burbs and the whole band played 4th Street either last summer or the summer before.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4889
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hbisson, does that make your husband -----? Or are you referring to a different bass player?

(Message edited by johnlodge on January 30, 2008)

Hbisson

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha, yes Robin is my husband. The Amazing "Pop Up" Bass player.

Gannon

Post Number: 11431
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hbisson,

Welcome!

JL,
Hey, we don't out people here!

I just found some cassette recordings I made of Stephen Grant Wood and at least one open mic...glad I dated 'em, so I can finally put to rest the mystery of when I hung out there.

I've a James Clay-drawn poster of the poetry devotees with Dorn and me in it...dated 1993, but no month...but the recordings I made are from November and December of 1992 and February of 1993.

I think by June or July I was gone from the neighborhood...stopped in a few times before Jim sold it to his son's friend.

Good memories from then, though. Susan Calloway served me my first espresso, hooked me for life.

Cheers, see some of you tomorrow night!

Hbisson

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes James Clay. I have a thick folder of his drawings around here somewhere along with a couple of his poetry books.

We used to have a ton of videos of Mike Dorn, Steve Wood, Sean Fitzgerald and everyone else but sadly they were lost in one of the moves.

I worked for Shawn (who bought the cafe from Jim) for a few years but it was never the same as the 92-93 era.

Gannon

Post Number: 11432
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep in touch with one of the barista's, Michelle, who moved out to Idaho!

Sadly, other than these recordings, and some napkin notes, the poster is all I've got...plus one large reprint of Jim's "each person izza live performance" note on a register invoice sheet.

I'm listening to one of Stephen's live recordings right now...and just looked him up on-line, apparently he won the country artist of the year with the Metro Music Awards...and his band won best country group.

'twas a wonderful place...what would I give to be able to emulate that spirit downtown? It's getting closer every day...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4890
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hbiss, that's great, I used to play in a very bad Ska band with ----- in my mom's basement. Say hi to him for me!

Shawn was the owner I knew, 92-93 was just a tad bit early for me, sounds like I missed out. Many, many good times, and plenty of bad as well!

Gannon, edited my posts to un-out. Hbiss, you can edit yours too for anonymity's sake.

(Message edited by johnlodge on January 30, 2008)

Gannon

Post Number: 11439
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, JL, she was obviously fine with it...I was just kiddin'.

Gotta put out that sarcasm alert better...

...it's tough now, been busy drinking to the mayor.

Movin' Detroit Forward and all...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.