Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » "Take Ten" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nanska
Username: Nanska

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here know what the phrase "Take Ten" refers to in reference to the Detroit Riot?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5947
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which Detroit riot?

jjaba.

Nanska

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'67. I ask because during the holidays one of my uncles had a bit too much of the famous family "bourbonnog" and he started reminiscencing about how things were back during the riots. And one of the things he was talking about was "take ten". But I could not understand just what he meant and nobody else seems to know what he was talking about either. So did the phrase have a real meaning back during the riot of '67, or did he just put way to much extra bourbon in the 'nog????

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember any particular significance of that phrase to the riot. A whole bunch of people sure didn't "Take Ten" before all that went down.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was around for both riots and have no recall of the phrase, "take ten."
In athletics, or on the job, it only meant to take a ten minute break.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nanska, why do you believe that the term has a meaning in reference to the riot?

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this summer we decided to call it a rebellion.

Nanska

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine - because he was talking what happened to him during the riot and how his mother was afraid he was going to be shot by a as he put it, " a skinny white h***** from Bellville". I would ask him myself, but only see him rarely, like during the holidays or at funerals, and we are not very close anyway. I just thought that somebody on the forum might know what the phrase meant. But guess not. I am sure though that it means something in context of the '67 "rebellion".

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If no one in your family knows the significance, nor do several people here, who were around during the 67 incident, it seems safe that you will find out what it meant to your uncle only by asking him. Please do, and let us know. There is a great little invention, you can dial a number and talk to the person on the other end. :-) I would love to know the answer to the mystery.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11338
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could have been a simple mis-hearing of what he said, too!

Break down those barriers, Nanska, give the ol' coot a call and melt his fucking heart. You might be surprised.

Nanska

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, since nobody on the forum seems to know what it means, I will break down and call him. I can hear myself now, "So remember when you were so drunk that you could barely stand up straight on Christmas Eve and then you started rambling on about your wild days during the Riot? Well I want to know what 'Take Ten' means?" I hope I get an answer from him. If not ???

Gannon

Post Number: 11359
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about..."I'm talking on-line with folks who love Detroit, and are interested in EVERY piece of personal history concerning the place"...

If he doesn't remember, THEN gently goad him about the alcohol haze. Might be good to send him a small bottle of his favorite to prime the pump, so to speak.

Cheers!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, just go on about how fascinated you (and we) are about the stories he told about the riots. No need to mention the tipsy part.

Stories from our elders is one great way to learn family history and the ways of earlier times.

Gannon

Post Number: 11362
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and bring the generations together...make the old folks feel less like they're headed to pasture unwanted.

I'll bet you get pleasantly surprised by his reaction.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.