Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging 56packman « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7419
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just spoke to a woman who has a bunch of official pics and models of Chrysler products from the 50's she received from a former Chrysler official.

Thought you might be interested.

(Message edited by jams on January 10, 2008)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check your inbox

Beachboy
Username: Beachboy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman - I'm new to this forum (based in Florida nowadays), and saw your post from 2006 on Ford Auditorium in another thread. So I wanted to ask, do you know if the Aeolian-Skinner organ was removed and stored, or is it still in place?

The specs at http://aeolian-skinner.110mb.c om/Specs/Op01324.html are more or less familiar to some of us oldsters.

Thanks for whatever info you can provide :-)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to a eminent Detroit area organ builder/restorer/tuner toady about this, I didn't know off of the top of my head. He tells me that it is still there. It hasn't been played in decades. The last major use of it I am aware of is a concert for the AGO convention with the DSO in 1986, the late Ray Ferguson played.
There was a buzz a while back to get the organ moved to Orchestra hall. Were that to happen the orchestra would be quite surprised. The organ, as shipped from Aeolian-Skinner was too soft given the horrible placement in the room compounded by the awful acoustics. Installer Steve Bodman opened everything up as far as it would go (made louder) just to get the poor thing heard, and some ranks were shipped back to A-E for revoicing on higher pressure for greater volume. Then they added the "garbage scow" portable division, that was mounted on hard rubber wheels and got knocked out of tune just by the vibrations from moving it. It would be very loud in orchestra hall!

Beachboy
Username: Beachboy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, 56packman, for the info on the FA A-S organ. I too recall it as being soft, just didn't wanna say so if I recalled wrong, as you might think it was my brain going soft.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.