Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Noob introduction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greetings all. New member here, now living in Florida, originally from upstate NY, but worked in Warren for a while back in the 80s. I've always loved Northern industrial cities, even in their present weakened condition. Detroit holds a special spot in my heart. I'm a history buff, the industrial facilities and processes are of particular interest. My handle is from my special occasion car, a 36 Zephyr sedan that is a national first place winner and driven frequently. (one of John Tjaarda, Bob Gregorie and Edsel Ford's finest achievements) I'll continue to lurk and toss in my two cents as appropriate. "I'm just south on I-75, about 1200 miles!"

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2700
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, zephyrmec. Your car's a beauty!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome--my handle is for my 1956 Packard "400"

it's a Packard beee-ach!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Zephyr,

I don't know how you can drive such a beauty without worrying about crunching it somehow. I'd be a nervous wreck! I especially like the front fender and how it's curved in the middle.

56packman, your car is beautiful too.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3605
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome aboard, very nice cars, guys

Zephyrmec

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome. Driving an antique car is not much of a problem as long as you remember that every other car on the road is capable of, and actually trying to run into you. In my case, the tail lights are only about 2" in diameter, and are brakelights only (no signal lights required on cars back then, and two tail lights were not even required until around '39) Stopping distances are greater and acceleration is slower. Cars will see the extra cushion I always leave in front of me and try to use it to squeeze ahead some more. Drive carefully, be blatant with the hand signals (as if younger people today even know what hand signals are) and avoid main commuter paths during rush hours and it is no problem at all. In many cases, other motorists flag me down for a closer look, give the thumbs up, or whatever at traffic lights, and generally are really good about steering a wide berth. After dark it can be somewhat of a problem because the headlights are not halogens, or even sealed beam, they are just 20/32 candlepower bulbs with silver reflectors, again, tiny tail lights with 6V bulbs. It's just a matter of knowing what is going on around you at all times, and being prepared for anything. Overall it is the same kind of caution you use when riding a motorcycle. I suppose that I could just take it around with a trailer and show it, but it is designed to be driven. Old cars that are routinely driven tend to break down less and run better than their trailer queen counterparts. Besides, what fun is it to have a big old twelve cylinder Lincoln if you don't drive it?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 580
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, almost namesake

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4462
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Zephrymec and thanks for the intro. If you haven't gathered it already we have many rich contributions to the discussion from our 'foreign correspondents' of the Detroit diaspora and yours is another fine example.

What a beautiful car. Congrats. Take road trip with it and drive the Woodward Dream Cruise next summer.

Zephyrmec

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm planning a Northern jaunt this summer, maybe even back home to Detroit. I can't take it back home exactly, the Mack Ave Briggs Body plant is long gone, isn't it?

OK, searched it, Chrysler used as late as 96 for the Viper, then tore it down for the new Mack Ave. Engine plant

(Message edited by Zephyrmec on January 15, 2008)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2708
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, bring it on up for the Woodward Dream Cruise officially held the 3rd Saturday in August and unofficially the week leading up to that day (plus any beautiful weekend in the weeks and months earlier in the summer).

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise .com

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mack Ave Briggs Body plant is long gone, isn't it?"

Still there.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 5/09/briggs_manufacturing.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2004
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser--that is not the Briggs plant in question--that is a Briggs Plant, it may be on Mack, but the plant Zephyrmerc is referring to was several stories high and covered a much larger area. The studios of LeBaron, the custom coachbuilder Briggs purchased and moved to Detroit were in that building. It gone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.