Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Paging Ray1936 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, if you already know of this notice, please forgive me for paging you unnecessarily. I know that you are a retired police officer, and I suspect that the "1936" in your screen-name is your birth-year, so
when I saw this notice, I thought of you. Perhaps you knew this man.

Search Results

New Search

Displaying Records 1-1 of 1

HASTY LONNIE SR

January 3, 2008

June 15, 1935 - December 29, 2007. Retired police Lieutenant , 35 years, Detroit Police Department. Retired Sergeant Major, U.S. Army Reserve, 36 years. Beloved husband of Eva D. Hasty and beloved father of Lonnie Hasty, Jr., Dr. Angela Pearlean Hasty, and Darrel Hasty. Also, beloved son and brother of Hollie and Pearlean Hasty and Leroy and Josephine Hasty, who preceeded him in death. He is also survived by his grandchildren. Beloved brother-in-law of Lorene Walker, Mamie and Charles Barker, Arthur (Joan) Diggs and Eddie Diggs. He is also survived by many nieces and nephews, relatives, and friends. Services will be held at God Land Unity Church on January 3, at 11:00 a.m. For further information, visit www.pyefuneralhome.com.

There was a photo, which looked to be fairly recent, in the print edition of the Free Press Death Notices (from whose web-site I copied this notice) this past Thursday. Why it didn't "come up" with the archived notice I pasted above, I don't know. I'll try to work that out. In the meantime, I will hang on to the paper.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1787
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, with the assistance of my more computer-savvy 20 year old son, I am trying to get that photo up in here. Please bear with me.http://www.detroitnewspapers.c om/deathnotices/dnimages/2008/ 01/1711807.eps.jpg
Got it!!
And, while I'm at it, sincere wishes for a fine 2008, to you & your'n.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo came through fine, Ravine.....thanks! Yep, I knew Lonnie well. Worked together at the Vernor precinct in the early sixties, and crossed paths frequently as we moved from assignment to assignment. He was a gentleman and a dedicated officer who loved his job and his city.
Do have to admit I've not seen him for 25 years or so, and the photo showed him quite older than I remembered him. Sort of like "The young Elvis or the old Elvis" dilemma!

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and you're correct in all you say in the first paragraph!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5921
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This medium is wonderful for such connections and we have Lowell to thank over and over again.

Imagine Ray1936 and jjaba, sparing over memories of being Detroit Times carriers out of the same station on Washburn-Grand River working for Jim Beyers in about 1953. And since that era, never seeing each other.

Thanks to Lowell Boileau and this Forum.

jjaba, Proudly Westside old timey newsboy.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2527
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Jjaba said.

BTW, Jjaba, I see where Google maps shows the old Times paper station at Washburn and Grand River to have been (apparently) long razed. But the memories linger on.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing the connections that continue through this forum...reading over the obituary, I discover that I taught Lonnie's children, Angela and Darryl, at Coffey Jr. High and Ford High in the 70's. Both were great kids. Their father could be very proud of them. In fact, last that I saw him, Darryl had followed his father to be employed by the Detroit Police Dept.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6252
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can Ray1936 post the Grand River and Washburn corner? jjaba hasn't been over there in a long time. Pan behind the corner to our station on the alley, as we recall 1953. Eastside of Washburn, southside of Grand River.

jjaba, Proudly Westside Detroit Times Carrier.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ask, I accommodate. See the open field where Jim Beyer used to bite our butts for bringing in too much change. Looks like the building that housed Jerry's Bike Shop across the street is still there, though.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray - would you please let me know how you do that? Do you have to be member of some website? Curious here.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2940
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to http://maps.live.com/ and type in Detroit MI in the upper left where it says business or locations (or something like that). You can go to a road map, the aerial photos, or a hybrid like mine above. Fool around and you'll learn to zoom in and zoom out (check out the options on the left side of the screen).

To post a section like I did above is a little more complicated. There's a way to post the screen to a clipboard, but I just hit Alt-prt screen. That copies it, then I use a photo program (any one would do) to paste it. Then you can crop, save, and send.

I prolly have you totally confused now, but go to that web site and fool with it. It's addictive!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulous Ray! I've checked out where my old high school used to be. Just as I suspected...nothing left on the block at all. Now I can look around at some other places. Thanks buddy!

(the addiction has already taken hold!) :-)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2941
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Told ya, told ya! Nyah, nyah!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.