Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » East Grand/ Mack neighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Philco
Username: Philco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone familiar with this area? I'm bidding on a house located on Field just below Mack. The positive and the negative. Much obliged.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a lot of old folks homes, seems a bit rough

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 626
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Moses Field House (1860's, IIRC) is on Field, several blocks south of Mack. It is currently undergoing restoration. There are many other beautiful homes on that street. Many years ago, I submitted a bid on one of the best, however I lost out to a higher bidder.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me what you want to know. I live right there.

What's the address of the house?

Philco
Username: Philco

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The address is 2169 and is up for auction through the wayne county prosecutor's office. I've done gut renovations before, have lived in them and am strongly considering a move to Detroit in the near future. I like the proximity to downtown and the straight run to Belle Island.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Philco,

I took a look at the Google Street View map, but I'm not quite sure which property you are looking at.

What I can tell you is that my wife and I (as well as several other Detroityes forumers) live on the next block of Field to the North. In other words, we're between Vernor and Charlevoix, while you are looking between Kercheval and Vernor.

The street is truly a gem, but the block you are looking at is the "worst" block South of Mack. The neighborhood is good, but there were a lot of tear-downs over there, so there's not much cohesion. Also, while the uniqueness and quality of the housing stock is exceptional, that seems to be the one part of the street where there isn't a lot of home maintenance going on. A few exceptions, of course.

The positives include the fact that new $200,000-plus condos are being built on Field about one-and-a-half blocks South, between St. Paul and Kercheval.

Long term, the neighborhood is good and getting better. We enjoy the benefits of Belle Isle and all the services along E. Jefferson. Any other questions and I'm glad to help.

Please feel free to e-mail me at: ecriteser@hotmail.com

Best wishes and I hope to maybe meet a new friend and neighbor!

(Message edited by Eric C. on January 03, 2008)

(Message edited by Eric C. on January 03, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.