Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Any good German translators here? Chapter 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was given the text of an article that was published in a German newspaper in 1899. My great-grandparents came from this part of Germany in 1885 and one of my great-grandmother's relatives came from Germany to Detroit for a visit. This article was published in Meschede, Germany (Saurland) after he returned from his trip to Detroit. It talks about how great a city Detroit is. I had two semesters of German in college but I can only translate about 85% of this. Can anyone translate it and post it on the forum? Thanks alot! http://www.goeddeke.net/mues18 99article.pdf

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 466
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my rough stab at it:
quote:

An American model city

J. Mues of Reiste, who visited the United States of America last summer, describes the city of Detroit, located on a spit of land between Lake Erie and Lake Huron, as first-rate. Although the city can count only 400,000 inhabitants, it possesses 359 hectares of public squares and parks. There are 376 kilometers of paved streets, approximately 2/3 of the distance from Berlin to Königsberg, in addition to 18 kilometers of boulevards. Naturally, there is a surplus of streetcar lines: the central city alone has 267 kilometers of "electric train" lines, as well as 118 kilometers of suburban lines. The entire streetcar network is worthy of admiration for its layout, which is unusually systematic. On each line, one can reach the center of the city in order to travel from there to another part of the periphery. The fares are unusually inexpensive, and transfers are allowed. The electric trains run at high speed without causing particularly large numbers of accidents, and are not bothered by conventional wagons like those in New York, since these are seldom seen here. As Detroit has over 10 kilometers of lake frontage, ship traffic, passenger as well as freight, is very heavy in the summer: many ships carrying copper and iron ore, as well as timber and stone building materials from the beaches of the upper lakes, as well as meat from the slaughterhouses of Chicago, pass through the city of Detroit. The city of Detroit has spent over 3 million marks on water lines; the pipes total 802 kilometers in length. Water shortages, like the ones that threatened the giant city of London last fall, are not a concern in Detroit, since over 182 million liters of water from the pipes are spent every day, and every resident of the city receives 450 liters of water daily. Although there are approximately 2000 factories in the city, such effective methods have been employed to suppress the smoke that there is almost no evidence in the city of the factories' activity. The fire department is extremely well-equipped and has few equals for a city its size, operating over 21 steam pumps, one pumping boat, six chemical fire extinguishers, and a personnel consisting of 417 career firefighters. When one also considers the exceptionally functioning canalization, which cost the city millions to construct, one can with a clear conscience issue the verdict that there is no city in America that outranks Detroit.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 484
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating reading!

"there is no city in America that outranks Detroit"

Okay, that was in 1899 - we've got to rise to that level again to prove ourselves in this century.

Bring back the jobs so we can show what our citizens are capable of.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Bear, I really appreciate it. There was a bit of tricky German there! I think this article is a great example that Detroit was one of the leading cities in the world 100 years ago.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure would like to go back in time to 1899 Detroit, even if just for an hour........

Where's H. G. Wells when you really need him?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.