Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Are under 26? Do you own a car older then model year 1980? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If so, then Hemmings Motor News wants to hear from you:

Classic Cars
Seeking classic car owners age 25 and younger

Do you know a young enthusiast like 18-year-old Graham Kozak of Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan? We want to hear about him or her!
Do the kids at high school and college think you’re crazy for driving an old car? Is your idea of style something with fins and chrome? If you (or someone you know) are under the age of 25, and drive a pre-1980 American car as your primary source of transportation, Hemmings Classic Car is interested in hearing about it! Every month, Hemmings Classic Car does a page called The Next Generation, the story of someone doing his or her part to keep the old-car hobby vibrant for the years and decades to come the best way they can: owning and driving an old car!

There's an easy email form on our Web site. Just fill in the blanks, hit the SUBMIT button, and you’re on your way! If we like what we see, we’ll be in touch.

http://www.hemmings.com/editor ial/nextgen.html

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last couple of years Hemmings has made a real push to attract younger people into the Old car hobby. It appears that the interest is just not there. If you look at the value of Model "A"'s for example the price has really come down as the generation that is interested in them is dying off while the value of 70's cars has really jumped. But 80's cars not much to get excited about.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True! Once some one decides to start collecting classic vehicles they tend to go for the cars of their formidable years. I would think if we could educate young people on just how beautiful some old cars are, and just what it is that makes them better then what has been available in recent years, we could make some inroads. Maybe high school auto shops could feature some 1950s or older cars to promote more interest in the hobby.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not much to get excited about? Are you kidding? Why, there's the Fiero to get excited about!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian--we've been discussing this over on the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America's) website for a while now--the old guys are dying off and there is not enough younger blood in some classes of car collecting, and the street rod/resto-rod modifiers are growing, celebrated nightly on basic-package cable tv with chop 'em up shows full of manufactured drama. I saw a lot of model Ts at Hershey this year for sale, even early brass radiator models, and the asking prices were realistic. There has been a trend of guys in their 40s and 50s buying brass era cars and restoring them to absolute authentic near-perfection, a trend no one could have predicted 20 years ago, when those vehicles were the domain of the really old guys in the hobby, who bought them in 1950 for $50 and would grouse about 1950s cars "not being old, hell--I used to drive that as a new car to Hershey to get parts for my OLD cars!"
I bought my '56 Packard in 1982 at the ripe old age of 23, and was welcomed into the hobby by the older veterans. Now I can go to Hershey and see 1982 model cars admitted to the show (they have a strict 25 years-and-older policy)and be that old man!
I try not to be that old man, nobody wants to hear it anyway!

Cambrian

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course the real way to draw in more young people would be to loan out that Packard to Eminem for use in his next MTV video, Packman.

56packman

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as his Posse doesn't take off my wheels and tires and put 22s on it!

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a 77 T-Bird with 17,000 original miles on it. Still has the original plugs and wires. It's for sale if anyone is interested. No rust, runs great.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me more Tarkus. What engine, 302?

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

302,PS/PB, White Exterior, Blue Interior. AC needs is frozen needs replacing. The only thing not original is the radio. I put classic Cragers on this past summer but still have original rims and even the lugnuts, with the T-Bird wire wheel covers.

56packman

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the year with the leather-looking trunk straps and medium-brown interior? In 1977I worked for the company that sold Ford all of their trinkets and trash (advertising specialties), A.I. Morrison in Dear-bern. and one of our salesmen drove that car--dark blue with the medium-brown interior.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.