Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » U.S. District Court Approved Refund Notice « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This notice came in the mail today. Apparently it went out to everyone who had a Visa, Mastercard or Diners Club card as of November 8, 2006. It's regarding a class action lawsuit settlement involving foreign transactions.

At first it looked like a scam but the more I read about it, the more it seems legitimate.

It refers to the website http://www.ccfsettlement.com.

Who else received one of these? Does anyone know anything about it?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. I had heard about this in the past, but it seemed to be assumed that it was going nowhere. While it wont have any effect on me, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3963
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bizarre thing is that apparently I'm eligible to receive a benefit (probably only $25) even though I suffered no loss due to foreign transactions.

There are three refund options from which to select. As far as I can tell none of them require disclosing any risky personal information.

Could this be a caging attempt? I doubt it.

I need to study it more.

(Message edited by Jimaz on December 03, 2007)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got two of them, one for each of two different CCs. I think it is legit. The $25 refund requires no documentation, on a quick read, but the other two options require you to document your travels or expenditures for a refund of 1% for expenditures over $2500, OR 1-3% for extensive travels for which you can provide annual info from 1996-1006.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3964
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I read the whole bloody mailing.

Apparently there are two classes involved, the Settlement Damages Class and the Settlement Injunctive Class. I appear to be in the latter.
quote:

If you had, as of November 8, 2006, a Visa, MasterCard or Diners Club card, you are a member of the Settlement Injunctive Class, and will benefit from the settlement even if you did not use your card to make a foreign transaction.

It mentions something about conspiring to set and conceal fees, violating federal and state antitrust, disclosure, unfair competition, deceptive practices, and consumer protection laws, as well as common law and equity. The Defendants deny the claims, blah, blah, blah ...

I don't think I've ever used that card. They seem to think I somehow deserve $25 but the mailing doesn't explain why. Grrr. The burdon of trying to live ethically. Grrr.

Does anyone know what "injunctive" means in this context?

IANAA

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 773
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm....... that is all very fuzzy. unless you are really hurting for cash, I may just forget about the $25 and shred it.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Damages Class has to provide info to show they were in a situation to incur the fees. The Injunctive class doesn't as the agreement includes anyone who had the card and could have been subject to the fees, even if they didn't actually incur any fees (end of second paragraph).

I bet in ten years any of us living on the border probably paid the fees a time or two.

There is also the caution that this agreement may not become final.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very easy to enter on line, they have a claim number for you based on your Refund ID. You just check a box that you want the refund and write down the Claim number and you're done.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just checked my mailbox today. Saw a similar (prob. the same) notice. Doubt that I ever accrued over $2,500 in spending over there in Windsor. I better go for the $25...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got one here in NV two weeks ago. Since I didn't have any foreign transactions (except for a couple of Wal-Mart China specials) , I just shredded the whole thing.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. There are two lawyers appointed on our behalves listed at the bottom to contact for any further questions. Think that anyone who got this in the mail actually called them up?

One of the firms: http://www.csgrr.com/csgrr-cgi -bin/mil?templ=news/articles/n pr_071214.html

and this is the other one: http://www.bergermontague.com/ bios/attorney_bio.cfm?id=11

Either it is all legit, or someone went to extreme lengths to set it up...

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NPR had a report on this a few days ago, where they interviewed one of the lawyers. It's legit.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My neighbor is a gung-ho U of Florida grad. I gotta admit I am a tad partial to the U of M.
We bet our respective refunds ( $25 using the Green form )on the outcome of yesterday's football game.
Who knows, maybe before the year is out, I might get his 25 bucks.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda had split emotions on that game, Rock, because Tebow is a very distant cousin. Naw, he doesn't know it. The connection goes back to my gt gt gt grandparents, early 1800s. :-)

(Message edited by ray1936 on January 02, 2008)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Percy Harvin is the Gator who really impressed me. Wow! Talk about speed. And he and your distant cousin will be back again this year.
And pull that Federal Court refund notice out of your shredder,'36. $25 will almost buy you 8 gallons of gas.
Once again, the lawyers do their best to protect the consumer.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3541
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone found any more detailed information about how the refunds are calculated under each option?

Originally, I provided enough detailed information for a claim under option 3. I have a large amount of foreign transactions but they occurred in just a few years out of the 10-year period. The wording of option 3 has me wondering if they are using an annual average of your total transactions over the period, whereas option 2 sounds as if they will base the refund on a statistical average of daily spending while abroad. Or, will option 3 simply refund a percentage of my total transaction amount?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.