Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Any good German translators here? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have three old family letters written in that miserable German script that I would love to get translated. Two are "recent", dated 1932, and the third is ancient with a date of 8 April 1855! Will be glad to pay for your services. Email me direct at RDown3657@cox.net if interested.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 935
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you can scan it onto the computer, copy it, and paste it on an online translator.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did that to a small extent and it doesn't help much. And the 1855 document is in Germanic Script and I can't even tell what letters are what. But I got a private response that should result in success. thx anyway!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 === Those are some real treasures you have there. When you get them translated, will you post them here? I would be curious to know what all someone from 1855 was writing about as well as the "recent" ones.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, I'll be glad to, Eriedearie. Just to whet your appetite, here's the top 1/3 of the 1855 letter (squeezed down to get to the DY requirements). You can see the date of 1855 on the right just below the lithograph or whatever form of printing that castle used.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 272
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray - that is so neat -

If my grandpa was still alive he would have translated for you. He could speak and write in 7 European languages, which included German, plus he learned English when he came to America. But did I take after him?...noooo!

I'll watch for your post.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4334
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Gistok! Bist du hier?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks to my volunteer translator, the third letter, dated January 21, 1932, is done. I shall keep the name of my translator private as I don't know if he wants any publicity (but thanks!).

On another post on the Discuss Detroit side, I started a thread titled "Identify this car". The car (turned out to be a '21 Olds) belonged to my cousin who was known to my family as "Uncle" Conrad Volkert. This letter was written to his wife, Henriette Hoops Volkert, and contains family chit-chat, but it does describe Germany in those turbulent thirties. The letter is interesting for that if nothing else. Without further comment:

(This letter is also from Schwerin. She seems to have been angry that they didn’t come to Rostock to visit Albert)
Dear Aunt Henriette and dear Uncle,
Many thanks for your dear wishes for the New Year. I also hope and wish you all the best for the New Year. And I can also send you greetings and wishes from Albert. He was here with me recently for a couple of days, he read your letter and regrets still that while you were here that you did not come to visit Rostock. He would have liked to have seen you. He and his family are doing well. Last year we wrote you from Warnemunde and Albert told you in greater detail. Didn’t you get his greetings? I am now much better, two years ago in the summer I had a very uncomfortable heart and nervous condition so that I couldn’t attend school for half a year. I went away a couple of times to relax and for treatments and now I can perform my duties again. Yes, the times here are very critical and people are of the opinion that finally a solution must come soon. The unemployment is very bad and businesses everywhere are going bankrupt and more and more public servants are receiving cutbacks (to their paycheck). Food prices are somewhat lower but still high enough. But personally we are getting by even if it is a stretch sometimes. Dear aunt and uncle, you must be sad that you won’t be going to California, but hopefully the times will be changing there soon too. How are your children and the little grandchild (girl)? I am sure she must be very cute by now. Please send my greeting to all of your loved ones. I wrote today in German so that you, dear Aunt, can have some practice. And I have had no chance to practice my English at the moment.
Many greetings to you,
Your niece,
Ella Warnike(sp?)
Boon street #11 (I couldn’t find a Boon Street in Schwerin)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" How are your children and the little grandchild (girl)? "

Have to comment on that. The little grandchild would have been a cousin that was especially dear and close to me, Merilyn Mundt Jollitz. She passed away of cancer in Brighton in 2003 at age 74, still full of life. Damn, I miss her.

Forgive me for a selfish personal moment.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a German guy who has a website that is dedicated to the study of Germans (especially from Westfalia) who emigrated to the US (particularly Detroit) in the 1800s. In fact, he has several letters written by German emigrees to family and friends back to Germany posted online at http://www.westphalia-emigrati on.de/index.html One of these letters is from my Great-great-grandfather. I have met the administrator of this website several times in person. His name is Dierk Stoetzel and his email address is emigrant@web.de and his email address is also on the website. He speaks fluent English and it would really make his day to see a copy of your letters and I am sure he would be glad to translate them for you. Tell him Frank said hi!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray - thanks for posting the translation of one of the family letters. Isn't it exciting to find out what your ancestors had to say? I think its so neat to sneak a peek back in time. I look forward to seeing the other translations in due time.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2352
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is, Eriedearie, not to mention the brief historical context on how things were in Germany immediately prior to the Third Reich, which was to come the next year.

"Aunt Henriette", to whom the letter was written, died in 1944 at her home at 759 Webb in Detroit. Here are two photos of her about 50 years apart.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray - She was such a pretty lady. I love the old photos. Oh yes, of course the historical content of the letter. Do you think its possible that even then people were afraid to write their true thoughts about what was going on in a letter? Just in case it was opened by an authority.

Do you know how your aunt's niece Ella Warnike and family fared through those times?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7182
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks as always, Ray1936.
quote:

Forgive me for a selfish personal moment.

No reason to worry, the sharing of your personal history with us is much appreciated.

You've contributed much with your perspective, and as well, a few laughs.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2355
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you know how your aunt's niece Ella Warnike and family fared through those times?"

Unfortunately, no. Aunt Henriette's family all came from northern Germany, close to the Baltic sea, and I don't think there was any contact with that line after Henriette's 1944 death. Uncle Conrand (and my mother's family) all came from Bavaria, at the south end of Germany, about as far as you can get from the Baltic without leaving the country. On that side of the family, however, all survived and even prospered. Which reminds me of a couple of photos I have along with some stories to go with them. I'll do that tomorrow on the non-Detroit thread side.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, your mention of Schwerin reminded of something I have:

From 1902.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where'd you dig that up, Jim?

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought some cards at an estate auction, and a number of the old German "gruss aus" style cards were in the lot. That style was popular from the 1890s until WW1.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6638
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, that's some amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"finally a solution must come soon"

Yikes!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I thought about those words in the letter, EDetroit. Prophetic, eh? Although the writer, Ella, was a churchmouse.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, any word on when the other translations will be finished? I check every day like a snoop to see if you've posted anything! :-)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3299
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very cool and interesting insight into pre WWII Germany

Ray1936

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be a while. My volunteer translater has taken images of the letters with him to Germany, where he is spending the holidays with family. The old German script handwriting left him unable to decipher individual letters in the words, thus, preventing reasonable translation. So he is hopeful that his German relatives are familiar with that form of handwriting.

It's actually very beautiful handwriting; it's just that you can't figure out what it says. As opposed to MY handwriting, which is very ugly and even I can't figure out what I said. :-)

Be assured if I hear anything I shall post it quickly.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's wonderful your translater has the resources to check with German relatives. I'll be waiting patiently for your post.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6660
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just thinking about the actual handwriting... back then, it was the only form of visual communication. It makes me wonder in this day & age of keyboards, texting & such- are we going to lose such a wonderful thing such as handwriting?

Eriedearie

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know Smogboy...I type so much that my handwriting is awful. It wasn't that great to begin with but it has turned really bad now. My 3rd grade teacher would scold me and make me redo my handwriting tablets!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4047
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The death of cursive has been appearing in the news for at least a year:

From UNT: Cursive handwriting falling by wayside, educator says.
quote:

"Since most high school and college work is required to be submitted in word-processed form, it appears that schools are taking the approach that learning to write in cursive is not necessary," she says.

Van Tassell says she is saddened to think about losing "the skills and beauty of writing in cursive."

Ray1936

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My handwriting is terrible. I've always suffered from writer's cramp in my wrist, and decades ago adopted a backhand style that eases the discomfort. Fortunately, I've never suffered carpal tunnel syndrome, and took typing for three years at Mackenzie. Best thing I got out of High School, I think.

But I have dozens of old family letters written in cursive; most of the writing very clear and attractive. As you can imagine, I treasure each one. Many are 19th century documents. Alas, my descendants 100 years from now will have little of my handwriting.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5900
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I'm a little late to the fest... schade...

Ray1936

Post Number: 2430
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: My translator is now enjoying his holidays in Germany and has the letters. Transcriptions should be coming soon; stay posted.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 418
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update Ray! I think I'm looking forward to those translations just as much as you are! :-)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5949
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wir werden uns sicher darauf freuen!!

Frohe Weihnachten und ein gesundes rutsch ins Neues Jahr!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's exactly what I would say this time of year!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump. No news.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update. We're being patient Ray!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you're being so patient, let me fill the gap by transcribing another old letter.

My great grandmother was born Kate E. Dowell in 1845 in Maryland. She had a sister, Sallie Marie Dowell, born in 1843. The sisters were close. In fact, when Kate's first child was born, she named the child Sallie Marie Downing in honor of her sister. That Sallie is mentioned in the letter below. Anyway, here is a sad letter, transcribed from the original which I have in my family files:

"Dec. 25, 1908
When I am gone, I want Arthur W. Dowell to have my diamond stick pin and Anita S. Dowell a pin with a small diamond and the rest of everything in the way of wearing cloth to go to Sallie Marie Downing. Jewelry & anything else, the pictures they can divide. Arthur and Anita take what they may want escept my own I long ago promised to Sallie Downing and Sallies's own pictures she may do with as she pleases with them. The furniture to be left for Mrs. (name illegible) if I die in her house except the writing desk that goes to Sallie if she lives anywhere near to move it, otherwise to go to Arthur Dowell & if Arthur has no gold watch he is to take mine. What I leave Arthur and Anita to let them know I think of them & love them both but they have plenty and do not need anything. Those two & Sallie Downing are the only ones that ever showed any love for me & I love them all & tonight I feel that I may not live to see another Christmas. There are two pairs of blankets if they are worth it they can go to Sallie. They can be sent in a trunk south. Brother George will see to it that what I want will be done or brother (name illegible) or some friend see that I am cremated and not buried, the ashes put in (two words illegible). Good Bye.
/s/ Sallie M. Dowell
Christmas Night, 1908
500 West Lafayette
Baltimore, Maryland"

Arthur and Anita Dowell were half-siblings. And, no, Sallie didn't pass away shortly thereafter. In fact, her date of death was May 15, 1923, nearly 15 years later. She never married. Strangely, neither did her beloved niece, Sallie Marie Downing. Here's a scan of the start of the letter, which I treasure.

Sallie

Eriedearie

Post Number: 449
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Ray - what a precious belonging you have there!

"Those two & Sallie Downing are the only ones that ever showed any love for me & I love them all" - Now that brought tears to my eyes. She must have felt quite poorly when she wrote that.

Thanks for sharing your treasured letter.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's a real prize. Tracing all the other family members in that line revealed that Arthur was an attorney, and served as Attorney General for the state of Maryland for a while. Anita obtained her PhD and was a professor at Towson State University in Maryland. A campus building there is named the Anita S. Dowell building. A lot of work on my part resulted in obtaining photos of Arthur, Anita, and Sallie Marie Downing, but I've still struck out on the letter writer, Sallie Dowell. I do have a photo of her grave marker, though.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 454
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How fascinating your family tree is! I've done quite a bit of research on my mom's side of the family so I know how much work goes into it. I wish I would have been more inquisitive as a young lady with both sets of my grandparents. I was always afraid I would hurt someone's feelings if I asked too many questions about a relative that had passed on. The curiosity was there, I just didn't act on it. And today...I wouldn't dare pass up an opportunity to open my mouth and ask questions about family members.

Keep at it Ray and maybe some day you will get a hit on a photo of your Sallie Dowell.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, here we go!
Here is the letter with the fancy letterhead:

Dear Brother-in-law and Sister,

We have received your dear letter and we were pleased from the bottom of our hearts to hear that you are all healthy and happy which is my one entreatment. Please excuse me that I have taken so long to write to you. We received your letter in September and when we read it aloud Mother and, although she was somewhat ill, she left her bed and cried for joy that everyone was alive and well. Dear brother-in-law and sister, not much new has happened in our family and thank God all are healthy and flourishing. Mother is still suffering from her old problem – stomach pains.

I can also report to you that although even though many people have bit the dirt in Crimea that everything is peaceful here. Only the flooding of the Elbe has caused horrible damage in the area near Boisenburn and Teltow where many people and animal herds have lost their lives and where at the moment many towns and villages are still under water. I end this letter with trust in God that these few lines will reach you. Unity and satisfaction is the biggest happiness that a man can possess whether they live in Europe or in America.

Many greeting from my mother, aunt, my wife, Sehlitzer and his wife, Heinrich and his wife, Lena, Albert Eduard and Ernst, Heinrich the cigar maker, and with the hope that dear God keeps you all healthy and happy. This I wish you from the bottom of my heart.

Your brother-in-law and brother,

H. Warnock

Policeman

Ray1936

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, it all fits. The letter was written in 1855 and to my distant cousin, Heinrich Carsten Hoops (he Anglicized his name to Henry in the US). Henry emigrated to America (Detroit) in 1844, and by the time the letter was written, he and his wife, Sophia Lizetta, had three children.

I don't know how all the relatives named in the letter fit it, but it will give me something to play with in the days ahead.

Heinrich died 4 June 1884, and is buried in Elmwood Cemetery. Lizetta died 22 March 1912, less than a month before the Titanic sank. She is buried next to Heinrich. Here's Lizetta, 1906.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4205
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just blows me away that she would have been staring into that "photographic box thing" totally unaware of how many thousands of people might be staring back at her a century later.

Thanks, Ray.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 494
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Ray I'm so glad your translator made it back stateside safely with your letter!

"Unity and satisfaction is the biggest happiness that a man can possess whether they live in Europe or in America."

What a timeless statement that is.

I agree with Jimaz - I doubt Lizetta would have thought her likeness would be seen by thousands of people a hundred years after she posed for that picture.

Thanks for your posting - :-)

Keep us up to date on your research. Let us know how everyone ties in to the letters.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lizetta died 22 March 1912, less than a month before the Titanic sank."

Only when I re-read my posted message did I realize I said that unconsciously. I'm always doing that....relating vital dates of my ancestors to historic events. Since my paternal line goes back to 1530, I've re-learned a whole lot of world history! Death of great-granduncle Francis? One month after the death of Queen Victoria....etc, etc......

Eriedearie

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray that is a neat way to remember vital dates. I too when doing research on my family line found myself relating events in that manner. Somehow it makes my family history come to life for me.

Since all those "important" dates are recorded in history books, it only makes sense to me that we do our research and record "our family's important" dates that way.

With me: my maternal great grandfather was born 100 years AFTER (Nov. 21, 1789) his home state of North Carolina achieved statehood. That came to me when we visited Mount Rushmore and I saw the dates for all the states carved in stone.

So its all good!

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do that do Ray. I'll always remember that my grandfather died 2 weeks before JFK was assassinated.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The funny thing being that I was quite bored with history in my school days.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2542
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the final translation:

5 Apr 1932

My dears!

Many thanks for your last letter; we are always happy to receive a sign of life from you. We have wanted to answer for a long time, but one doesn’t get to it very quickly. I haven’t been so well this winter, I had some rheumatism and feel often very exhausted and exerted which bothers me especially. I am seeing a doctor and he said that I should go to a clinic for a couple of weeks, but unfortunately I cannot easily leave home. If someone were to accompany me that would cost me and that is too much for me now that the money is so short. Maybe I will have some luck and I can go with Mother to an acquaintance of mine who is a teacher’s wife for a couple of weeks in Oefenhausen – I will have to see what my doctor says about that. If it is God’s will then I would get stronger so that I could fulfill my duties with vim and vigor. When one is used to doing everything yourself, it is often difficult to leave your hands in you lap and to always leave the work to others. I am often very lonely without my beloved spouse, I am sure that you dears can understand that well. Other than that, I have no complaints – I live well and have the money that I need and in addition my beloved children and the little 4 and 5 year old grandkids overseas. At the end of June or the beginning of August, my beloved Lotte will have her second child – pray God that everyone stays healthy and that Heinz gets a little sister. Hopefully I will have a few years that I can enjoy the baby. How are the Liebenaus? I am happy that you are all healthy and together because that is the greatest joy on Earth. People complain here a lot. You know in general how it looks here, the farmers are to pity, all of their produce is dirt cheap and they cannot find buyers and they are still expected to pay their mailman and all the fees and taxes, where are they supposed to find the money? Business where you are also making less but despite that we should not and dare not complain. If we all are doing well and are healthy in these difficult times, then we should be happy. Here eggs will soon cost nothing anymore you can have 25 or 26 for one Reichsmark. It isn’t worth it anymore to keep chickens when you think of the amount of food that they eat. In our garden the Cowslip, Gold Dust, and the little Forget-me-nots, are breaking out and therefore man should also be awakened to new life.

Now my dears, may God protect you. I send you best wishes from the bottom of my heart. Yours faithfully, M

Let me hear from you again soon.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 538
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did "M" make out ok with her health. Do you know if she was able to enjoy Lotte's 2nd child? Can you tell us if Heinz got a little sister?

She had a good outlook on the overall situation actually. It was true back then as well, if you have your health - that is what really counts.

And her writing about her concern for the farmers and what little money they make but still have to keep up with all their expenses. Gives a good insight into how awful things were about to be.

I know I'm full of questions and probably after you answer - I'll have more. Hope I'm not a pest. But I just love peeking into the past - especially with REAL people happenings!

Thanks again for sharing.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm having a hard time placing that family line. Now I'm not even sure who the author is; none of the above makes any sense in the family lines I've documented.

The letter was among others that were kept by Henrietta Hoops Volkert, as we discussed above. I'm wondering if "M", as the letter is signed, was just a family friend from 'the old days'. I'm beginning to suspect so.

What is clear is that Germany was not a good place to be in 1932. Things were to get better for a decade, but at a horrible price. I think that's the real message from the past in this letter.

Well, the transcription is printed out and placed in the plastic document holders with the letters. If I can't figure it out, perhaps some descendant of mine years down the line will find the key.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.