Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Teleconferencing for the Hearing Impaired « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3586
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm trying to help someone who is nearly deaf to attend an important teleconference that is to convene this Saturday.

They have an older telephone amplifier but I know there have been advances in signal processing where the audio isn't just amplified but is also shifted to frequencies more audible to a hearing-impared listener.

Can anyone recommend any equipment that would help?

Thank you.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,

You might try Harris Communications. They're one of the largest suppliers of equipment for deaf and hard of hearing people (the term preferred today).

http://www.harriscomm.com/

You might also try calling AT&T. They have rental equipment for the deaf and hard of hearing, but it usually requires a lead time longer than a week to fulfill.

If the person is deaf and knows sign language, an interpreter would be the best option and that could definitely be booked by Saturday.

You can book an interpreter and likely get other help with hard of hearing and deaf issues at Deaf CAN:

http://www.deafcan.org/

Deaf CAN may also be able to help with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance, something that you will want to ensure you follow for the teleconference and for all matters with this person.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3591
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos, thank you so much for responding. It will help down the road if not for this meeting. :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a solution. We have a cordless phone with an amplifier and headset jack on the handset. I bought a VoiceStar headset from Radio Shack and the test proved it to work very well.

I'm still interested in any other options but we're all set for Saturday's board meeting! :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4470
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the deaf, there should be captioning for all songs and such on radio, in addition to spoken text. And the music should be transcribed into musical notation for all the instruments and ...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.