Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Recliner Chair Stores in Metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend who is suffering from cancer. She is probably not long of this world, & her family would like to buy her a recliner chair so she is comfortable for as long as possible when she comes home.

Can anyone recommend a store in Metro Detroit that has comfy recliner chairs?

I’m trying to steer away from the big-name furniture stores, so as to avoid the typical recliner chair sold for large, lazy people (the likes of which I admit am one). It would be nice to go to a smaller, family-owned business.

My biggest concerns: The chair needs to be sturdy when the footrest is up (she will probably sleep in it at times), & it needs to be easy to get the footrest both up & down. It would also be nice to have a chair that is not terribly difficult to get out of. Finally, it must be comfy & homey to sit & recline in (perhaps microfiber fabric), but not so cushy a small, frail woman is swimming in it.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if anyone has any thoughts, I’d very much appreciate hearing them. Feel free to email me at oakglenangie at gmail dot com, if you’re most comfortable doing that.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6311
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're called Geri-chairs, and have wheels.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember the name of the company our facility deals with. But they are available to rent as well as buy.

I'll check the name at work tomorrow, but you will probably find what you need via the Yellow Pages.

One of my "special" residents, Ms Ollie, recently made the transition from wheelchair to Geri-chair.

Everyday, I make sure to stop by to see her, hold her hand and talk to her. She hates the Geri-chair because unlike a wheelchair, she cannot move it by herself, but she admits it is more comfortable.

Jams

Post Number: 6341
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Medical Equipment 800 877 7285

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Jams, but she passed early Saturday morning.

Thanks again, anyway.

Jams

Post Number: 6380
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, to hear that, my condolences to the family.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.