Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Funky Ferndale Art Fest « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2632
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget, this weekend is the Funky Ferndale Art Fest!

The fun and funky Ferndale Art Festival returns to Downtown Ferndale this September 22-23, 2007. One hundred juried artists from across the country join local high school and university students in showing an incredible selection of amazing artwork including jewelry, paintings, sculpture and more. Most with a Ferndale flare, a bit of an edge and personality to it.

Fabulous Food
Come and enjoy the delicious food Ferndale has to offer from restaurants such as Como's, Christine's Cuisine, The Blue Nile and Hungry Howie's Pizza in our Food Court or stroll up and down Nine Mile for sidewalk offerings of Angle's Cafe, A.J.'s Cafe, Maria's Front Room, Just 4 Us, Buffalo Wild Wings, Le Soups!, Strawberry Moon Bakery and Pinwheel Bakery. For a full listing of downtown businesses visit www.downtownferndale.com.

Entertainment
Looking for something to make your jaw drop with excitement? Watch artist Singh throughout each day at scheduled times as he paints four canvases while hanging up-side down from a crane on Allen.

Listen to live music on three acoustic stages scattered along Nine Mile. Real Detroit is pleased to present award winning sitar artist, Stephan Mikes as he plays tractional Ragas as well as World Jazz and is just one of our featured performers along with Russell Donellon, The Hipsters and more performing all weekend long.

Fun
Of course! That is what Ferndale is all about. Our kid's art tent features all sorts of make & take activities. Student Art sponsored by Paramount Bank, has grade school aged artist displaying and selling their work.

http://www.downtownferndale.co m/DDA/FASFF_links.asp

(Message edited by johnlodge on September 21, 2007)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was funky, fashionable Ferndale.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright then, don't forget this weekend is the Funky, Fashionable Ferndale Art Fest. It's going to be fun, and the weather looks promising!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe it's Funky, Fashionable, Fabulous Ferndale.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im in...beers will be cold!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to the Funky, Fashionable, Fabulous Ferndale Art Fest, support local artists, and enjoy a cold beer. BTW if the Ferndale Historical Society has a booth at this event (not sure), check out the old photos they are selling of 9 and Woodward through the decades. I purchased a few, framed them, and they make very nice inexpensive artwork for my living room. They even have one of the original Crow's Nest, directing long lines of Model-T's through the intersection.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always thought anything self-described as "funky" was an automatic tip-off that it would suck

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 21, 2007)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravitymachine, you sure are funky today.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the website but didn't see a schedule of the performers and times. Is there one?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2644
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, there were a lot more details in the current issue of Woodward Talk. They had a map of the vendors, entertainment, and schedules. Can't find anything online at the moment, though.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after reading much bitching and moaning about the recent art festival at the russell (not here though) i just wanted to pass it along :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2645
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was bitching about the Russell festival? (I didn't go to it, but I know one of the artists who participated). Did it not go well or something?

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh it went fine, and as a participant i had a great time, but unfortunately many people have varied and in some cases, unattainable expectations of what a free art festival should be, and by no means is my criticism focued on, or limited to the writer of this blog, much moreso the comments thereon

http://detroitarts.blogspot.co m/2007/09/russell-artfest.html

sorry, please return to the "funky" ferndale arts festival discussion that i detoured from

(Message edited by gravitymachine on September 21, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2647
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, some complaints about the quality of art, some complaints about the "curation"... I would cut the Russell some slack. For a derelict industrial center, it is starting to get some attention from the community. As pointed out, space was free, so you never know what you're going to get. The Ferndale Fest's booths start at 250, and go up to about $600 if you want a corner spot and electricity. Perhaps that will bring in artists who's work can actually sell.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2648
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and thanks for the edit GM. ;)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe its Fabulous Fudgie Ferndale.....

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1947
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ding!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.