Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » How To Separate Tree From Fence? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3305
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have many small trees that had grown into and integrated with the wires of a chain link fence.

I think the fastest way to fix it would be to remove and replace the affected links.

Since I'm lazy and not in any rush, does anyone know of some kind of enzyme or gentle chemical that would cause the wood to rot over time without harming the metal?

Thanks!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11687
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO! You sound more concerned about the fence than you are the trees. I installed fence for 4 straight summers, with the largest part of my work at Michigan International Speedway.

As for how to remove the trees from the fence, assuming you don't mind if the trees die (since you mentioned rotting the wood), try cutting the base so the tree has no roots. The tree will then die, and eventually rot out. Then, perhaps someday you will build up the motivation to go outside and remove the rotting pieces of tree.

You ever get that Mustang of yours back on the road?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you'll find any labor free way of getting rid of the branches, but I have done this a few times before. Remove the chain link from the posts, set it on piece of plywood on the sidewalk and crush the branches with a sledge hammer. You have to be careful to avoid damaging the metal, but it really is the easiest way I've found.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pour gasoline on the wood. Let it soak in for a few hours then burn if off.

(warning, this methiod is not approved by the fire marshal)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6373
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew wouldn't gas evaporate before it "soaked in"?

Jimaz

Post Number: 3310
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am more concerned about the fence than the trees. These are small dime-a-dozen rogue trees that are threatening to uproot the fence. We have more than enough legitimate trees away from fence that I am very much concerned about. I've already cut the bases of the trees and all but the parts integrated with the wire.
quote:

You ever get that Mustang of yours back on the road?

I don't recall it being off the road. It sure is a nice car though. :-)

I like the gasoline idea. I think there's nothing flamable nearby. I hadn't thought of that. I'll consider it.

See, at first I thought this was a question too stupid to ask DYes but then Crew comes up with a good idea. Thanks, Crew! Thanks, DYes!

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Shit! Don't really do it - I was kidding. Are you crazy? You'll start the whole neighborhood on fire!

Seriously, chain link isn't that expensive. If the posts and rails are in place and in good shape, just replace the chain link sections that have the trees growing through it. In the long run, it will be chaper and easier than trying to remove the wood growing between the links.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2596
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you could get that part on the ground, you could try a hammer and a wood chisel. I have a feeling that would work alright.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2592
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get new galvanized chain link fencing for just over $1/linear foot. A 50' roll is around $60. Pretty easy solution compared to beating the wood to death.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 598
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I think crew meant diesel oil. It is a time tested way of removing stumps out here in the 'hills. Granted, it will burn up to 3 days but hey at least the stump is gone. Or you could add ammonia nitrate and a firing cap. That will definetly speed things up.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3318
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Holy Shit! Don't really do it - I was kidding.

HAHAHAHA! Actually, I wasn't going to use gasoline but I think a propane torch might do the job well and safely.
quote:

ammonia nitrate and a firing cap

That would blow up real good. :-)

Thanks guys.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm. I have a similar problem. I use loppers to cut it down to size, then pruners to cut out sections of it, then use a reciprocating saw (Sawzall, Milwaukee, any brand pretty much the same) to cut it down to the ground.

Now, killing the root is hard. If you can get enough space around it, honestly, burning doesn't sound that bad to me. You really have be a freakin' marine to get the root out!

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spend a few solid hours with pruning sheers and then brush full strength Round Up or Spectracide on the small tree trunks cut as close to the ground as possible.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the same problem actually. I used a sawzall to cut them up, but my problem is that I ended up cutting some of the fence too (granted i'm replacing it next year. So now that they are apart, i'm just letting them rot.

I hear you can use sodium nitrate to kill the stump/roots, which i need to do because I fear they are in my sewer.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A chain saw could cut the wood close to the fence, and a oxy-acetylene torch could burn off the wood going through the fence. It's a lot quicker and cheaper than using a propane torch, assuming you got (or know somebody who has) the equipment. But, you don't need a cutting torch, so if you do use one, be careful not to burn through the fencing.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can girdle the tree, cut all the way through the bark and vascular tissue and that will kill the tree. Afterwards you can remove the dead tree in pieces.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3374
Posted on Saturday, September 29, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It so happens I was grappling with this situation just today.

I encountered some of these tree segments integrated with the fence that had been cut from their roots many years ago. They had decayed to the point where I could just wiggle them loose.

That seems the least-damaging natural solution. I'll just stick with that strategy. Patience, time and nature will solve this problem. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.