Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » English-French Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need the assistance of any DYer whose knowledge of French is complete enough to tell me how to say "full moon" in French. It seems that the word for "full" is "rempli," and "moon" is, not surprisingly, "lune," but one source says that "full moon" is "la pleine lune." That looks like the "A" answer. I'm hoping that one, or more, of you can verify that, and while I think I may know how to pronounce that, I would like some help with that, too.
Merci, mes amies.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lah - plane -loon

Je pense que "la pleine lune" est vrai.

Ravine

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Mich. I think so, too. Curious if "pleine" is pronounced "plane," or more like "play een."

Michigan

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think, but I have been wrong many times and I have a horrible american accent in French, that it is close to plane.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PLENNE. LA PLENNE LYOON.

Michigan

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what, Gaz sounds better. Go with Gaz. Like i said, I have a terrible American accent in French.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 522
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Y sound before the OO sound is just a hint. It kind of tightens up the OO sound.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to be pedantic, but I studied French in France. Like most things in French, it actually depends on context. To say "la pleine lune" only applies in one context.

in general: J'aime la pleine lune.
within a given situation: en pleine lune
consistent over time: Les nuits de la pleine lune

You are right; tu as raison- there is no long "a" sound; it's more a rounded through the nose "e".

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thump Thump

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Non, non, non!--en francis!

froggy motherfucker

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, funny, funnier if Jerry Lewis.

Hey, Ravine asked; I didn't want him/her to look gauche!

Michigan

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not pedantic OMG, Ravine wants to know. I wonder who he is trying to impress?

I went to a Jerry show in Monte Carlo once. My God it was the most pathetic performance I have ever witnessed. But the folks i was with, (Francais et Suisse) loved it.

I can not get the image of him pretending to let the microphone hit him in the privates out of my head....

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan,

I don't get their fascination with Jerry. It's weirdly related to their creepy mimes; I think he's an exaggerated mime in the collective conscience there; that, and they love our slapstick screwball comedies.

I've never seen Jerry L; your experience sounds traumatizing. I was hassled by a fucking mime on the crowded steps of the Garnier. I've got to live with that forever. I wanted to strangle him, but how do you argue with a mime? - it's almost zen.

Yeah, I was thinking Ravine wanted to impress; French can be a pain with nuance.

BTW, Michael J. Fox in/at Oxford?

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

da plane boss, da plane

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

loon

Michigan

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG- I am LOL thinking about you and the mime, very very funny.

French is a pain, but I love it, and I love la belle France aussi.

After Family Ties had jumped the shark the family went to London because Fox gets accepted into Oxford. Class Drama and sexual tension ensue when hoi poloi (notice usage, a nod to you) from America invade England's most hallowed halls of learning, but are ultimately resolved on the rugby pitch (I think that may happen more often than we realize...)with Mallory getting the young Viscount or Baron or some such.

One more thing, I wrote c---tucky because I had seen you post it on another thread (referring to Creed), was just trying to be a smart ass, thought you would get a giggle, sorry. (Another of my Grandfather's sayings- Do you know why donkeys don't go to college? Because no one likes a smart ass.)

Good luck Ravine!! I hope la belle Canadienne appreciates the effort!

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Michigan. I'm a wee bit more paranoid and sensitive than usual these days around the "c" word, for some strange reason...

Hoi polloi was really directed at Professorscott who professes to know everything. Things just get lost in translation or veiled in code out here. It doesn't help when I sound like Mencken bitching about the English language.

Ravine has to share his sweet nothings...of course, I'm taking no responsibility for the French, but I'm curious to know how it went over.

Ravine

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all who constructively responded. And, far from being pedantic, Oakmangirl's brief contextual breakdown was very much appreciated, as context is very relevant to the specific reason why I asked for assistance with a matter which, probably, I could look up.
Aside to Gaz: Thanks for the tip about the vowel sound in "lune." (That was the one thing I already knew for sure, but it was still nice of you to point it out.) Your pronunciation of "pleine" is the one I'm going with. I guess I let the e-i combination needlessly confuse me.
And those of you who were speculating that I am hoping to ring some damn belle dame bell have vivid, possibly even salacious, imaginations.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The French Connection...Ravine, how'd it go? You're not working on a translation of Proust or something, are you?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.