Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Question for bartenders and barflys « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a straight rye drinker. If anyone can give me the names of some Detroit and area bars that stock straight rye (think Old Overholt, Rittenhouse, Sazerac, Van Winkle, Wild Turkey Rye), please let me know. I've scoured much of downtown and haven't yet found a single bar that has rye on the shelf.

I'm really tired of having to settle for bourbon.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go often enough, any owner will stock it if you ask.

Otherwise, in 7 years behind a bar, I'm not familiar wih any of them.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you need to look for a place that looks like this:

pic

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you can try to contact the distributors. If all else fails, BYOB.

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with Canadian Club?

Fury13

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's wrong with Canadian Club?"

Well, it's not rye.

Contrary to popular belief, Canadian whiskey is not straight rye (at one time, decades ago, it had a higher rye content, hence the misconception... its mash is mostly corn now). Canadian whiskey is simply blended whiskey.

Fury13

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, you're probably right. The predominant whiskey before 1900 in the US was rye, not bourbon. Abe Lincoln, Wyatt Earp, Buffalo Bill... they all drank rye.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9839
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got ME curious now, Fury. So the mash for rye is wheat-based?

Ever since you started this thread, I've 'Miss America Pie' running through my noggin...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2277
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R ye_whiskey

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: it's not wheat. The mash for straight rye calls for at least 51 percent from rye grain (just as the mash from straight bourbon must be at least 51 percent corn).

Frank_c
Username: Frank_c

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Detroit drinking Rye Whiskey means CC, has for generations, quit crying in your whiskey.

Fury13

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank, why should I settle for less than the real thing?

And by "generations," that would only mean since the '40s or so. Recent history, really.

Canadian is NOT rye. You can look it up.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bottle I posted, if you look closely, is from Detroit.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 151
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would think that with so many cajun bars, somebody would make a Sazerac. My local bars don't make it either, so every Mardi Gras I have to teach them and settle for Bourbon instead of Rye and Angostura instead of Peychaud's. I am lucky in that my favorite liquor store carries Sazerac, Wild Turkey, and Jim Beam Rye. They also carry Peychaud's bitters. The only place I have ever found it. Next time I have to substitute I am going to use Cognac instead of Bourbon. The original Sazarac ( the first cocktail) was invented by the New Orleans Druggist (named Peychaud) and named after the Sazerac Cognac he used to make it. Rye was substituted for the Cognac in the 1830's
dave

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9799
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slows has a pretty decent bourbon list. I don't know if they have any ryes but they may stock one or two for you.

The thing about bars is the mark up on alcohol is huge so even if you are willing to buy 5-6 drinks from the bottle the price is covered. The distributors they deal with will have access to your requests.

I would guess places like Small Plates, union Street, Slows, Toms's would order if you requested.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9846
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at Slow's shelves Saturday night...er Sunday morning, but didn't see anything obvious. Saw a few special bourbons and some good scotches, but nothing that said Rye.

Didn't ask, either, their relatively new barkeep was a bit perturbed about something late into the morning...so I wasn't going to burden her further.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure no help here, fury. When I got tapped to be a bar tender one evening from the bell staff at Grand Hotel, the first drink I was asked to make for a guest was a Presbyterian.I didn't even know how to spell it much less make it.
So I looked at the chap who had ordered the drink, raised my hand, gave him the Sign of the Cross, and said "Though art a Presbyterian".
Fortunately, he had a good sense of humor and settled for a Cutty Sark and soda.
WOW, my first conversion.

Fury13

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good story, Rock.

Well, I found one place that has rye -- Cliff Bell's. The only problems there are: 1) the place doesn't open 'til 5 p.m., so it's no good as a lunchtime stop for a shot; and 2) the only rye they carry is Jim Beam Rye, which might be the most pedestrian of all of them.

Oh well, one rye is better than no rye.

Some might wonder why I don't just get a bottle of rye at a liquor store and take it home. Well, sure, I could do that, but I often prefer the ambience of a bar while I'm having a drink. Or -- some may say that rye is inferior to bourbon anyway... to which I simply say, "You're wrong."

The_rock

Post Number: 1918
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chap who ranks his ryes in terms of which is the most "pedestrian" obviously appreciates his beverage and has become an expert on the various brands. I will tip a Wild Turkey to you tonight fury.

Does that mean, by definition, that a "person on foot" who "lacks vitality" is a "pedestrian pedestrian"?
I love the King's English.

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Beverage Tasting Institute:

89 • Sazerac 18 Year Old Rye Whisky $42.99.
Rich copper hue. Super-sweet, Christmas spice cake and treacle aromas. A lush entry leads to a fruity-sweet full-bodied palate with outrageously spicy vanilla, toasted coconut, anise cookie, and toffee flavors. Finishes with a long marinating spice and aggressively peppery fade. (tasted on Feb-12-2004)

dave

The_rock

Post Number: 1925
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were first introduced to Sazerac while visiting in New Orleans back in 1959 and had a memorable meal at Antoine's Restaurant in the French Quarter. Lovely drink,meal and date. Still have the menu ( $11.00 minimum per person ).
Not cheap. Everything was a la carte. Pompano amandine at $30.25 topped our list.
Sazarec turned out to be a real bargain. Good idea.
And I am still married to her.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.