Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Shores Inn Owner, 42, passed away suddenly « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 666
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mom just told me that Harry suddenly died a few days ago. He was so young. I worked at the restaurant for a short while in early 1990's.

My deepest condolences to his family. I am wondering if any of you knew him or know his family.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be that no one here knew Harry?

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 977
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, never knew Harry, but I had dinner & drinks at the Shores Inn during my last visit to the area (last December).

He apparently ran a fine establishment, and it's sad that one of the Detroit area's reputable businessmen has passed.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in Shores Inn all the time. That is sad to hear. Did he not also own The Great Baraboo?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to high school w/ Harry, he was a year older than me; never really knew him other than a brief introduction now and then. Seemed like a pretty good guy.
I haven't been able to confirm if this report is true or not.

BigJ- yes, he and/or his family also own the Baraboo and I believe the lodge-themed bar/grille on Harper between 8&9.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know Harry, but I had seen this thread so noticed the death notice in the paper last week. Here's what I found online at the Detroit Newspapers website:

KOURELIS HARRY
July 10, 2007

Age 42, suddenly, July 7, 2007. Loving son of Nitsa and the late Steve. Dear brother of Mary (Louie) Bricolas. Uncle of Stavros and Ellene. Visitation Tuesday 4:00 – 9:00 p.m. at A.H. Peters Funeral Home, 20705 Mack Avenue, at Vernier Rd., Grosse Pointe Woods. Trisagion 7:00 p.m. In state Wednesday 10:00 a.m. at Assumption Greek Orthodox Church, 21800 Marter Rd, St. Clair Shores until time of service at 11:00 a.m. Memorial contributions may be made to the Assumption Greek Orthodox Church General Operating Fund. Entombment at Cadillac Memorial Gardens East.

To read the online comments from friends: http://www.detroitnewspapers.c om/deathnotices/guestbook.cfm? id=153235

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They also own Gilbert's Lodge? Isn't that where a young Marshall Mathers was a dishwasher, while he was winning MC battles at Saint Andrew's?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow, I went to school with Harry too. I never knew he owned the Shores Inn; last I knew he was managing his father's liquor store. He was one cool cat, the strong-but-quiet personality type with a great sense of humor.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 711
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, thanks for the confirmation and the chance to read notes from his friends and family. I hate it when people my age die. We still think we're going to be around for a long time. I can't imagine how his mother must be feeling.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome. I didn't even know Harry or the Shores Inn, but I know Gilbert's and have fond memories of the Shores bar scene back in the mid and late 70s. It was interesting reading the comments from friends and relatives. Harry sounds like quite a guy!!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's something I found interesting. When I worked for Harry I didn't like him. I thought he was a tyrant(of sorts). Now, after reading how much he was loved I am reflecting on MY part in my feelings toward him.
You know, there he was trying to run a business and I was a waitress with an "I'm better than this, who do you think you are, don't you know who I am?", attitude. Who was I? I was a stupid waitress with a feeling of entitlement, that's all. Sheesh.
My final analysis in this is that if you don't like someone - look closer at yourself. YOu are probably at least more than half the problem, you know?
What a doofus I can be.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 744
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah not a doofus just human...

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 735
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gibby.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We eat at the Shores Inn at least a few times a year. My mother recalled going there in the 1930s with her family. It had to be after Prohibition, because they went because her dad loved the beer selection. I am sorry to hear of the loss of Harry, though I didn't know him, he ran a fine place with a respect for its history.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.