Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Rent Questions in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 717
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My building management decided to raise my rent by 10% for a 1-year lease and 30% for a month-to-month lease, out of the blue I might add, since I moved in December, not in August. This is effective August 1, which of course leaves me with no option with less than a month, at least for right now. I will have to bite it and go with it for the time being, but I wonder if this justified because 10% more seems very steep to me. I will be paying close to $900/month (water and heat included) and I don't think this place and location can justify this kind of money just yet. It's also on the very top of my housing budget. I have a feeling that they are trying to cash in on the development boom going on right now in downtown Detroit. I'm living in a 1920s building on Jefferson, about 3 miles east of downtown. I love old buildings, and my place is beautiful and spacious, but honestly it's also outdated. There are no high end appliances in here, the kitchen especially could use a major make-over. No A/C, no amenities in the building to speak of, except for a laundry with 4 washers and dryers for about 50 units total. It's pretty in the front, facing the river to one side and the skyline to the other, but walk about half a block north in every which way, and it's total ghetto (and frankly, living on busy Jefferson oftentimes sucks, it's so noisy). No inside parking, just a gated parking lot and we had many stolen/vandalized cars incidents over the years. I also know from a buddy of mine who lives and works in the building that they have quite a few vacancies, so does the Kean building next door and the Jeffersonian across the street, meaning there is not exactly a high demand. So considering all this, I don't think that the amount I will be paying is justified. My question is, is there anything I can do about it? Are there regulations/laws in place to prevent renters from getting ripped off? Probably not. I have heard the term "rent-controlled" being applied to NYC, I don't think this exists here, or does it? If so, what exactly does it mean? And, in your opinion, am I getting ripped off or should I just take it and wait for this neighborhood to take off as well and then enjoy the "low" rent in comparison to what people might pay what they pay now (or more) in prime locations such as Merchant Row, Riverfront and others in the CBD? I've been living here for 5 1/2 years now and it's my first increase in rent. Any comments/advice before I go sign my new lease is greatly appreciated.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butterfly, how does your projected rent stack up with the rent in comparable buildings, such as the Parkstone, Parkcrest, River Terrace and Owen Park Manor (825 Iroquois) ?

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea ...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st raise in 5.5 years, not bad.... 900 seems very high to me though.... How many square feet?

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of variables, but essentially a landlord can charge what the market will bear. One way to find out is to raise rents.

If your one-year lease has not expired, your landlord cannot raise rent unless it is for increased utilities, insurance, taxes, etc. or unless it is to improve the property in proscribed ways. AND, the ability for the landlord to do this must be written into the lease.

If you have a month-to-month lease (or no lease) then your landlord can typically raise rents with 30-day notice.

If you're happy where you are, then negotiate. Unless the landlord wants to get rid of you, there's no reason you can't get a reduction in rental increase or work in lieu of a reduction. Check out other places, get the rental amount, and use that as leverage. Get some new cabinets and high end appliances if that will satisfy you. A paint job. Whatever.

You can always ask for a multi-year lease, and try to stabilize your rent that way, too.

If you're looking to move, now's the time.

Good luck.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this story in today's Detroit News

With tenant shortages on rise, landlords willing to negotiate

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070705/B IZ/707050326

This is a quote from the story you should really take to heart:

quote:

In this renter's market, an applicant with good credit can demand just about any price on a home or apartment, Rabinowitz said.

"They've got a lot more bargaining power than they think."

The best advice I can think of is to price out a few other comparable places. Then go to your landlord and show him what you can get and give him the chance to lower your rent or at least negotiate a lower increase. If he doesn't play ball, I would suggest moving because he might make this type of behavior a habit. Who knows, you might even find a better place.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway beat me to it. I was going to post that Detroit News link.

Ghetto_butterfly wrote "... they have quite a few vacancies."

Something sure sounds fishy here. Is the landlord trying to nudge tenants out of the building? Are there plans to convert it into something other than rental housing? That would be the only reason I can think of to raise rent that much in the market described by that Detnews article.

(Message edited by Jimaz on July 05, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9537
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a ten-percent increase over five years isn't so bad, and they are obviously trimming their tenants of month-to-month habits.

I'd say you have a good chance of negotiating with these folks, G_b. Compare the costs of moving and the hassles of finding another place...and let them know you'd rather stay than leave, with a two-percent increase this year (always start well below what you'll accept, and you've got to give them something)...and you'll do your best to keep those collective heating costs down next winter.

(Now that I think of it, the heating costs alone are probably what got their attention!)

Cheers!

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 711
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without knowing the square footage (which is a big variable) and taking into consideration that price includes heat and water AND it hasn't been raised in 5 years I think it's not too outrageous.
The cost of heating has gone up exponentially in the last 5 years...hell in the last two years. That alone would be cause to raise rent.

Still I agree with the others that say try to negotiate with them...it never hurts.

Just to give you an idea though...at an older building right downtown I pay $800/month + utilities ($75 - $225) for a 2 bedroom/2 bath with 1152 sq. ft.

(Message edited by harmonie on July 06, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even down here in Charlotte, NC where houses are sold in just a couple of days after going on the market, I was able to bargain the terms of my rental with the Management Company. If it can be done down here, it def. can be done in Detroit. Regardless: if your rent is too much or not, it never hurts to bargain!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.