Discuss Detroit » Archives - Connections II » Decent , not too expensive hotel near the Motown Museum « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kernow
Username: Kernow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a lost cause, if so which downtown hotel near public transport links can you recommend to an English traveller?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are you coming? The St. Regis will re-open in August (so their website says). It's a short walk from the Motown Museum.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5290
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kernow,
Here's the link for bus schedules for Ddot. From Downtown (CBD) you have a choice of a few lines to get you close, although the Dexter line would be your best bet.

Let us know when you're coming, if you're in town on a Thursday join us for an FSC (Forum Social Club), currently on autopilot, meeting at a bar called the Well, a group of us that gets together in person weekly in order to discuss Detroit issues and drink (cheap) beer, not necessarily in that order.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet link there, Jams!

Jams

Post Number: 5291
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitmi.gov/ddot/ businfo/schedules.html

OOps

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 328
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's not much in that immediate area.

try the inn on ferry street.

www.innonferrystreet.com

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown is not that far a commute to the MM. What's the name of that little hotel by the Town Pump?

Jams

Post Number: 5300
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Park Avenue, I believe it is a designated part of the International Youth Hostel system as well, although it has been quite a while since I spoke to the owner about that designation, so maybe someone else may have current info.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kernow, rent a car and stay somewhere decent.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 846
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renting a car is your best bet. It is Detroit after all. Driving a GM is part of the experience.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5422
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful now, the Dexter bus is Pure Detroit.
You can walk faster, but that's Detroit.

Kernow, welcome to The Forum. There's nothing like Detroit.

jjaba, Westsider.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Inn on Ferry Street has a shuttle for getting people around within a few miles.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hot el_Review-g42139-d242702-Revie ws-Inn_on_Ferry_Street-Detroit _Michigan.html
OR
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hote l-550626-inn_on_ferry_street-i

Kernow
Username: Kernow

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info all. Where is the Greyhound bus depot I will arrive at in Detroit from Canada and how near is it to The Inn on Ferry St? What will it cost to take a cab to the Hotel St Regis from the bus depot? I need answers so that I can change Canadian dollars to US money in advance of travelling from Canada.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9541
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kernow - When are you getting into town?

Yellow cab is 313-841-6000 - I would guess about $4-15 US from the greyhound station to the Inn on Ferry street or Hotel St. Regis (about the same distance). It may be cheaper but it is always best to have enough. They are very close but I would take a cab or call ahead and see if they can have a shuttle pick you up.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you get off the Greyhound at the Amtrak station? It's very close to the St. Regis, which I will repeat, is walking distance to Hitsville. Unless it's freaking hot, like today.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kernow, welcome to the D. I make a second vote for the Inn on Ferry Street. I recommended it to a BBC crew who was doing a documentary on Motown era and they were very pleased with it.

From there, if you are energetic, you could walk to Hitsville, about 1 mile away. You will also be only four or five blocks from the legendary United Sound Studios which is right on the way to Motown.

As for currency, you may consider just getting US dollars as they are widely accepted throughout Canada at par and not have to deal with a double exchange. You have chosen a good time to come since the dollar is basement.

If you haven't done so already be sure to visit www.soulfuldetroit.com/forum to find the people who really know the details.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9552
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad - I confused the greyhound and amtrak. A cab would cost a bit more.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.